"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AvaLukkenru oru manam -- VII Direction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Movies - A Special Section!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhuraman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: AvaLukkenru oru manam -- VII Direction Reply with quote

AvaLukkentu oru manam VII Direction.

Dear Friends,
This is one of the rare movies where no one dominates, meaning that every sphere of the movie has received the right magnitude of value. Indirectly, the Director has apportioned a clear weightage for each domain.
A major feature of the movie is the 'build up' of the plot, providing the right nominal time for the audience to accept the portrayal. Soon after the title card, Director Sridar makes his hand visible throughout the movie. There are innumerable occasions revealing the sophistication in Direction. The introduction of Kanchana to Muthuraman and vice-versa has been done in the most casual way as it happens in Middle class colonies. The familiar domestic looks make it a very acceptable form
In the park, when Kanchana hugs GG from the abrupt fear of thunder, a nice Directorial touch is seen. When K realizes her momentary lapse, expresses shock, shyness and fear as mixed emotions, runs in a quick pace driven by her own disapproval of what she did. IT WAS NICE TO HAVE AVOIDED IMMEDIATE BONDAGE as the common weakness in Cinematic fashion. What is done in A O M reflects the natural probability.
On the College campus, Bharathi seated inside GG;s car with GG on the wheel, asks for Kanchana's notebook. The obliging Kanchana comes to the Driver's side but on seeing the male member [GG]
moves over to the opposite side to hand over the book. CVS uses this to build Kanchana's stature as a respectable girl who stays in limit.
Another Character-building occurs when Bharathi gracefully accepts G G's offer to marry Kanchana, though Bharathi can stake higher claims as uncle-aunt relations of parents of GG and self. In fact, she delightfully helps their wedlock. These minor anecdotes strengthen the sacrifice profile of Bharathi
There is a steady build up of cruelty by Villain M R, who enhances his grip and demand over Bharathi. Director Sridhar has approached the issue with abundant caution and every happening appears both natural and casual.
The build -up strategy by CVS has strengthened the story line in raising our anger against M R while sympathising with the hapless Bharathi. Thus, Sridhar achieved the right emotional bondage between the characters and the audience.
Since the movie was effectively "developed", CVS has made an impact by the strength of the events; he has comfortably driven pathos into our heads avoiding heavy utterances.
One occasion where the supremacy of moral value is respected is the bar scene. When M R seeks to have Bharathi, the latter appeals for mercy saying "please do not destroy this doll" . The die-hard criminal M R does not lose sense but respects her feelings and arranges for her safe exit.
After pumping bullets into M R Bharathi stays calm and composed , having done the inevitable. The actors , MD and the Director have presented a a respectable sedate end with Nharathi lending herself to the legal follow up.
All through the movie Sridhar is visible in every moment of intricacy. Without a moment's sag the movie progresses on a serious track. Though there is a very serious treatment, appropriate planning and editing have provided an absorbing film and never we find a need for comedy. A O M is a grand product of an absolute BUSINESS- LIKE treatment.
Sridhar has done it again.

Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai.
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Professor,

Another interesting writeup on a CVS movie . Thanks. From my elders, I have always heard a lot of other creations of CVS but not much about AOM . Probably, their CVS was someone whose tenor peaked during 60s. Nevertheless, I find this movie absorbing in terms of narration ( which always had been his strength ), picturisation, crisp direction. Music has played a significant role in taking the movie forward. Many songs, during my school days which I loved so much , later to my surprise , I realized that they all were part of AOM ! So, in a single movie, MSV has created some scintillating songs , MALAR EDHU being a unique composition, a message from MSV that he is fast moving to another period with a strong orchestration.
I find the choice of Barathi , interesting . I could see her sporadically in tamil movies. Nadodi was one such & Uyarndha manidhan , though in brief . A beautiful actress played a different role in AOM. Gemini looked a bit old here ? Kanchana was charming . A movie which gave a different dimension to Muthuraman's career, clearly the winner of the situation. Appreciating Muthu's risk taking ability in accepting such roles. Muthu was a villain in Raman Ethanai Ramanadi too and was a doubtful character in Nenjirukkumvarai also. The early 70s saw Muthu-KRVijaya combine giving some good family melodramas. He could have given more movies as a character artist but destiny took him away suddenly.

Thank you Sir for another nice coverage of the legend CVS. Dear Vaidy, may you pls get some thoughts from CVS about AOM ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Movies - A Special Section! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: