"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sumaithangi - Part 8 - Screen play and Direction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Movies - A Special Section!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Sumaithangi - Part 8 - Screen play and Direction Reply with quote

Mr.Sridhar should be accredited for neatly presenting a disheartening story by riveting narration, novel visualization , simple dialogues, touching emotions and controlled performance

The movie highlights the virtues of joint family system which is almost extinct today. What we see is a nucleus of tiny family structure , children in another place ( country ) , Parents isolated at the evening of their life , fading brother-sister relationships, the first daughter in law of a family taking all the initiative, guiding the family on key decisions , togetherness between brothers , give and take etc etc …..

The protagonist’s profile is a classic example of the situation prevailed then up to the 60s and 70s….the character sacrificing his studies for the betterment of the family , gives away an employment opportunity to comfort his elder brother, enables his sister to marry and also later support her financially….all characters think and act in a realistic manner ….none lives in a dream world….even Devika , who was the worst affected when Gemini informs about his wedding , she doesn’t take any extreme step…absorbs the love failure and tries to move on .. The story veers around the central character Gemini Ganesan and studies how he reacts to every pressure situation…

One may even wonder whether Devika character adds any value ….IMO, when Gemini feels let down by everyone, he realizes that by rapprochement with Devika, his lost life will get some resurrection ...second , GG character is emotionally attached to the joint family …to prove a point that he goes to the extent of sacrificing his love for the sake of family’s well being…so a love angle had to be established…

Sarangapani, Muthuraman, Gemini Ganesan, Devika ….all have left us but memories of the movie still last ! so also the immortal lyrics of Kavignar …..

Sridhar proves that he is an extraordinary Director at the final scene ….no dialogues at all……just visuals….a screaming Devika, shocked Muthuraman….an enlightened Gemini….as they try to approach him, he just gives a brief pause , reads out quotes from the Bible and slowly walk away from them…..heart breaking climax….magnificently presented sans any dialogue….during a lyric dominated era, this scene is really path breaking !! an ordinary director would have ventured into pages of verbal exchanges between hero and heroine to justify their cause but Sridhar showed the way by absolute silence…….highly novel also at this juncture as Gemini’s voice will be heard distinctly overlapping the group for few seconds a real trend setter….

Conventional movies end with such characters committing suicide ..Sridhar was different ….Gemini just fades away in pursuit of social service by taking renunciation……the lengthy letter to Muthuraman vents his frustration and helplessness on various aspects which led to skirmishes between affectionately bonded brothers…Also leaves certain questions to the audience…the fate of Devika…..

Sumaithangi is a collective performance with Gemini in the lead ably supported by some very good actors..

Mr.Sridhar had left Devika to face uncertainities…the movie had to end with Gemini’s decision to take a different direction in life…in the process this pitiable character suffers….while Gemini finds solace in spiritual path, Devika ends with a big question mark…..

While in Kalyanaparisu, SarojaDevi marries Nageshwara Rao , in Sumaithangi, Devika is left single….a different approach …..

Dialogues are straight and simple…no vulgar exchanges….even the college scenes with friends were purely plain and funny….high level of etiquette and decorum prevails !

The dress code is realistic reflection of a middle class attire….it even goes worse…on many occasions Gemini wears a stitched shirt ….

The initial scenes, he appears with shirt tucked in…..the second half all desperate, frustrated loose clothing…highly inconsistent…signs of a dejected, looking for direction personality….

Devika wears the conventional saree outfit throughout the movie…. So also L.V.

Muthuraman wears a specs, reminiscent of someone shouldering full responsibility…though cheerfully enters with a nice blazer ( or full coat ) …soon undergoes change in attire….very simple dressing mostly in dhoti …

Also reflective of the culture prevailed then…V.S.Raghavan enters the frame by putting Vibudhi on his forehead , has a brief chat with Gemini and then moves on to Pooja room….

The housing of both Gemini and Devika look quite realistic reflection of an archetypal middle class family…

Muthu even early in the movie while playing Cards hints that his Co not doing well and hoped that they don’t reduce the salary…..another scene ( immediately after Endhan paruvathin kelvikku ) Sarangapani hints about an advt in The Hindu wherein a retd Judge has placed a proposal to marry his daughter….a precursor to events that are going to unfold soon….

And the next scene after Muthu informs about his job loss, Gemini goes to VSR for withdrawing his tution ( every paise saved is earned )….Look, the hero has already made one step towards his sacrifices….this scene has 2 interesting elements…..Gemini’s first action to cut down on expenses and second, he was so focused on that …even Devika’s cheerful comments are of little significance to him !!....and while he converses about his money issue with VSR, its only the facial reaction of Devika is shown ! …finally as he walks out , a worried Devika queries whether he will visit again atleast to see her , he says…. “ Even if I am lost, I can never forget you Radha ”… Just an example of immaculate screen play !

Sridhar avoids lengthy dialogues….VSR voluntarily meets Sarangapani to propose Devika….here Sridhar straight away starts with response from Sarangapani who bluntly rejects the plan rendering it absolutely useless to both the ends….

VAZKAIYODU PORADIYA ORU LATHIYAVADHIYIN KATHAI… this is how the movie ends with a message….

The story is cinematized in the most sequential manner showing parallel scenes to cut short on unwanted dialogues, making the conversation bare minimum by involving a third person as a passive observer

It remains a mystery to me on why Sumai thangi is not being revered the same way Kalyana parisu is ..this prompted me to draw comparisons …..KP had one edge , the Thangavelu –Muthulakshmi factor , the Writer Bhairavan comedy track which runs parallel , an immensely popular play ….ST is out and out a very serious subject…even Nagesh’s various attempts to bring some relief gets wiped out by the sequence of tough situations that the protagonist faces…...in KP also, the hero is forced to compromise on marrying ..ditto here too….and the climax….in KP, he looks for a companion to embrace him and his baby, finally leaves the kid in the hands of Sarojadevi-NageshwaraRao and leave in search of new direction…..in ST , he takes up the service route by converting himself …..again the big question mark…why did he convert ? he could have remained a Hindu and seek peace …..No…Mr.C.V.Sridhar was very clear with his final draft…..in Christianity , there is no come back once an individual attains renunciation ….why ST failed at Box office …probably the audience then weren’t in that frame of mind to accept such UNCONVENTIONAL ending …

Here one must admire Mr.Sridhar for having given an unexpected end to such a story ! a normal hero would have committed suicide but here is a guy after all who wants to restart his life but on a different platform , disassociating himself with the materialistic world …shun all relationships …be it his love, family , monetary benefits etc all are immaterial to him now….great end !
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear all,

With this episode, the analysis on ST comes to an end….Honestly, it was an emotional journey for me too, the entire last 30 days as I was intensely involved with the movie and doing continuous appraisal on the movie making skills of Mr.Sridhar…..thank you all for giving an opportunity to study one of the greatest movies of Indian cinema…..
madhuraman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Movies -A special Section Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Balaji,
It was an absolutely fantastic analysis dissecting every piece to shreds to unravel the package called Sridar. Not without reason people adore him as the real pioneer in the visual medium. People who were born in a later time have indeed missed seeing Sridar movies when they arrived in that era. What ever he did those days were truly novel and enticingly fresh by concept and presentation. To identify the factors that did not elevate ST to its deserved height is indeed difficult. In Kalyana parisu, the hero sacrificed while the girl was left to the safe custody of Nageswara rao unlike in ST, where Devika was left orphaned. Besides,
K P had emotion packed culmination only in the last scene, while in ST innumerable sequences of loss, deprivation and sacrifice haunt the hero and the audience also felt emotionally surcharged from the way of story telling. Yet, it was a grand presentation of a heavy theme in a blemish-less action and visual presentation. At the box office, a lot depends on when a movie hits the screen and in the company of what kind of movies and star value etc. With all these ST was considered a movie of a distinct class and certainly had made some impact in the various facets of movie-making.

Now for a brief while you would be left with the question what next?

You would have to sustain the tempo as a class writer so as to enthuse us all into better writing.
Warm regards K.Raman Madurai.
Ram

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Balaji..

What a great way to finish your series on Sumai Thaangi - A class movie of all times, from Sridhar's band.

I've been following all your post meticulously and this Sumai Thaangi is your masterpiece. Expecting more & more such master pieces from you. Really, it was a great experience for everyone of us to read your posts about the movie.

As our professor had suggested - all these Sridhar movie analysis should be compiled and handed over to Sridhar & Gopu. Vaidy is the right person to take this initiative. Over to Vaidy!!!

Your's and professor's posts in the movie section are simply great and the contribution cannot be described with just words!

You both please continue with this form and bring in lot of information about movies. Your writings are of educational value to all of us here!!!

Best Regards

madhuraman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Movies -A special Section Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Ram,
Thank you for the fine words of encouragement. Just by a flash of thought, I felt the need to discuss Sridar movies since in the last 23 years or so CVS has not made movies. Yet, for those of us who have literally been groomed under the classic era of TF industry, especially for relevant subjects, their treatment, lyrics and Music, undoubtedly Sridar was a grand pioneer among the genuine inspirers. So, I opted to divide the movie into different segments instead of a summary analysis. That gave me the leverage to bring out items of specific value. As I was through the exercise Mr.Balaji opted to discuss SUMAI THAANGI and has done the best justice to that movie epic.
We have also been appealing frequently for responses. As you know there are very few who participate by way of postings. Unless someone chooses to say something [ + or - ] it is dampening. At least we are [ at least I am ] confused as to if any of our exercises serve the intended purpose. Also, it looks odd that only some 2 are repeatedly writing and have to respond among themselves for any questions or suggestions. Would it not be better if write-ups appear from more people on varied themes? But , there has only been a sort of encouragement saying "Please keep writing whether or not people respond". In the general absence of any response how can I take that these are read by any one. As moderator, you may have to identify the reasons for the sag even among those known for quality contribution. For those in situations of UK, US and the like, devoting time may be a real factor. No matter where we are, all of us have the same 24 hr schedule per day. At least our domestic friends in India should rejuvenate themselves and make it a worthwhile proposition of visiting the site. I hope my views are not out of place.
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Professor and Ram,

Heartily reciprocating your compliments. Honestly, I was largely inspired by our Professor’s writings on NOA, VA & KN .His methodical presentation is a lesson to me on how to cover the various facets and finer points of a movie . Mr.Sridhar was not ordinary person. He was a highly revered Creator during the 60s and 70s . To understand the fundamentals of a movie which was taken some 45 years before, we need to have people who were witness to those glorious days and who can give a quick flashback on the events happened then and how those movies were treated. Here our Professor is the greatest asset to the MSVtimes.com . I thoroughly enjoyed reading his writings on the 3 classics and the one which continues to excite me is his coverage of Vennira Aadai…that was the best of the lot for the analysis of the characters , screen play and the movie making of Mr.CVS. And as suggested by Professor, it’s the most ideal time to show those articles to Mr. CVS. A person who deserves a standing ovation is Mr. CVS. He will be the happiest man to read something which is being analyzed on his creations which were made 45 years back !

On the Video section, Ram pls add more clippings ….Vaidy should help you with new additions. Here I have a suggestion….. Is it possible for some Administrator to visit the Master once in a week and talk to him about a song which he may give a narration of how it was composed, the mood prevailed then, about Kavignar or Valee who wrote that song , the ideas floated by the Director, any other interesting story behind that song…. I PROPOSE KARNAN TO START WITH , FOLLOWED BY KALAIKOVIL etc….To initiate this, we should mention about the movie so that all the hubbers will give their thoughts and questions …we can list those points and meet MSV….IMO, this new addition might generate more interest on the website and more members might join…

I think Mr. Sriram Lakshman ( Vatsan ) is in Chennai on a short trip. He has written some excellent articles earlier . If he can meet the Master and cover those discussions, it will be great.

The last one month , I could not focus on songs section ( ST was driving me ). I will get back shortly. My next agenda God willing , is to cover Kappalotiya thamizan, a movie I cherish since childhood as I have been groomed listening to tales of the great freedom fighters….I also feel its necessary today to write about our freedom fighters …else the next generation may not feel the significance behind their sacrifices for the Nation…Thanks..

Last edited by S.Balaji on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Ram

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Professor,

I'm as confused and concerned as you are for regarding the low participation in the forum!

I just have nothing else to say on this, but lets continue our mission of propogating the Musical wonders of the greatest Musical Genius born on the earth, ever!

I'll be talking to you & Balaji shortly regarding the book that we were planning for the second anniversary of MSVTimes.com.
madhuraman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Movies -A special Section Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Ram,
My drawing your attention was just to alert that something may have to be done for restoring the earlier participative image of the forum. Though we may try to abide by democratic norms, a certain degree of code seems necessary. By this I mean, some sort of guideline may have to be evolved. Members of the core crew must lead the path by posting their observations [ not just replies to someone's observation]. Also certain specific functions may have to earmarked for people so that they feel the need to make postings. If these efforts appear "imposing" it is largely because there is a tendency to drift. Unless good writers keep the place active, readers would also lose the charm of visiting the site. Further, many get motivated to write something when they come across items of their interest. We have had such inductive responses earlier too. Therefore it is essential to consider the various prospects that may accrue from posting views or just keeping off. Other than these broader issues, there was no other idea of our requesting people's participation. Thank you
madhuraman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject: Movies -A special Section Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Balaji,
You have written about my writing on some movies of CVS. Actually I was at the school final stage by the time Kalyanaparisu appeared. Since then I have held CVS in very high esteem because he was churning out excellent products that literally transformed the then movie styles into greater experimentation and availing of new talents etc. Therefore VA had its grandeur from experimenting with new talent as well as theme. May be you got inspired because I had [still have] so much to say of Vennira Aadai. But if someone deserves appreciation, it is CVS and not me.
STILL I BELIEVE THAT IT IS TIME THAT ALL THE WRITE-UPS ON CVS's MOVIES ARE PRESENTED TO CVS IN HARD VERSION SO THAT THE MAN FEELS HAPPY THAT WHATEVER HE DID HAS GONE WELL WITH AT LEAST THE AUDIENCE AND WOULD FEEL PROUD OF HIS CREATIVITY. what else can we do to ackowledge our sense of gratitude which may help him rejoice in nostalgia? I hope Mr. Vaidy recognizes the urgency and does the needful.
Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Movies - A Special Section! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: