"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VENNIRA AADAI --- VII DIRECTION

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Movies - A Special Section!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhuraman

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: VENNIRA AADAI --- VII DIRECTION Reply with quote

VENNIRA AADAI --- VII DIRECTION

Dear friends,
In this the penultimate episode on V A , I intend looking at what made this a different movie especially from the point if view of Direction. Why I choose to do it here is, normally Directors plan a set of sequences to justify their lines of thought when 2 girls desire the same man. Though V A too has a similar situation, CVS has brilliantly avoided unnecessary outbursts between the 2 women , ultimately making a heavy discourse on Tamil culture etc to claim martyrdom on the part of one of them. To me, avoiding a mes is as much an ability of Direction as presenting one. To have done it in utter discard to the then cinematic trends, was by itself a[n] [r]evolutionary approach to handling a theme. In fact the 2 girls never come face to face though both have access to the man of their love. Now on to other finer points.
The introduction of the hero was rather sublime with no vulgar zooming of his anatomy from feet upwards [ as if we have nothing worthwhile back home, many make this mistake. ] The movie opens with the song between Srikanth and Nirmala vividly pegging the hero to his preference. In all subsequent scenes involving Srikanth and JL a clear line is drawn as between a doctor and a patient.
Equally vivid was the presentation of JL's aristocracy in attire and hairdo. When she rushes to her daddy, casts a queer look at the table- spread [white] makes her repulsion explicit pulling it off throwing everything off while still trying to understand the new man-Srikanth. Apparently these are treated trivial by Common Directors. Sridar being what he is , uses these occasions for character-building.
A special appreciation on costumes is not out of place. All the attire for Dr and for JL reveal their social standing. CVS has maintained J L in modern costumes until she is on the path of clear recovery. From then on, she is presented in saree. My suggestion is, it shows that the girl is getting to realise that she has to have a dress code , as she is turning sensitive from her hitherto casual attitudes of personal presentation.
Also after the song ' Ammamma Kaatru vandhu', for the first time displays sensitive sensibility saving the hero from the embarrassment of hooking the inner garment. [ he has kept off her despite proximity].
Building a blemishless character is a knife edge walk, as any slipshod suggestion would have devoured the stature of the hero.
Most Directors project the hero as a love-making machine with occasional duty of manhandling half-a-dozen thugs at one go. But, in V A, undoubtedly eniugh justification has been presented for the role of the psychiatrist. He keeps on assessing JL's behaviour and responses to situations . By methodic efforts JL is shown to retrieve from fear that gripped her eversince she lost her husband within hours of her marriage.
Also when she recognizes her position , she gracefully takes to white attire , without illogical arguments.

All of us know that all songs have been well placed to assost the story instead of hurdling it. All I intend sharing with all of you, is that a real mature approach could be seen in all the critical junctures.
No melodramatic high-decibel outbursts are seen even though the movie was made in 1965. Above all, the courage of conviction in using unknown artistes for a theme so subtle is eloquent to say the least.
Every one involved in the movie was really involved.

All these make me respect Sridar for his sheer determination of
"I know what I want and how to do it"
Certainly he was a pioneer in mental supremacy in the visual medium.

Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai.
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of today’s directors often quote Mr.Sridhar for his novel approach , way of presenting a movie , song picturisation , screen play and above all his experiments . They place him in a very high pedestal . In a recent opinion survey conducted wherein many frontline directors of today and also of the 80s and 90s were queried. A majority of them including men like Balu Mahendra, Mani Ratnam, Barathi Raja ( not to speak of P.Vasu who was groomed under Sridhar ).. have mentioned Sridhar as their inspiration and a unique creative Director.

I found a link on an article ( May 2006 )honouring Mr.Sridhar conducted by Y.G.Mahendra :

http://www.thehindu.com/fr/2006/05/19/stories/2006051902900500.htm

Quite interesting ! Some nostalgic memories being shared by veterans including Nagesh .
Damodaran Pachaiappan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Professor Sir,

I read (just once but I will have to read several times to cherish all the details) your fantastic write-up of Vennira Aadai. I have seen this film many many years ago. I knew it was a great movie, but after reading your post, I went to London this weekend, searched and eventually managed to buy the DVD (along with few other films). When I was at school, I used to have a 'guide-book' to enjoy and apppreciate the works of Shakespeare. I am not exaggerating when I say that your postings would serve a similar purpose to help me relish the masterpieces of the great art creators like our own Mellisai Maamannar and directors like Sridhar and other artistes.

The songs in VA are like rare gems. I am sure a music student would be able to do thesis just on the background music alone not to mention the songs.

I have promised myself the luxury of watching this DVD 'bit by bit' along side your articles over the next few days.

Thank you very much sir.
With regards
Damodaran Pachaiappan
madhuraman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: VENNIRA AADAI --- VII DIRECTION Reply with quote

Dear Dr,
It is indeed very long since you responded to write-ups in our forum. Understandably, preoccupation with profession does not permit your frequent visits to the site. But armed with DVD on VA you are better off to enjoy the movie in bits / repeat viewing of any sequence. That way you are lucky.
I have, also posted on NENJIL ORE AALAYAM, KAADHALIKKA NERAMILLAI besides VA, Each of them has been dealt in detail to survey a select aspect like story, screen play, lyric, Music , Direction etc. The idea struck me as a better way of bringing out our specific responses to highlight our impressions for a detailed movie appreciation.

Kindly add your responses to those items and bring forth all that you admire in these movies.
I earnestly thank you for your words of encouragement, while looking forward to "your" piece on V A and others.

Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Professor,

Wish to share my personal experience. My wife is already an ardent fan of Mr.Sridhar for the variety he had delivered . She always wonders with awe about how the same Sridhar could make movies like Kalyanaparisu , Sumaithangi etc and also Kadhalikka neramillai, Ooty varai uravu ! Of late, our main topic of discussion has been the movies of Mr.CVS only.

For long she carried a notion that Vennira Aadai had stupendous music but is somewhat a sad story and movie will be very dull but on reading your sequence of articles, the extensive analysis on the finer aspects of the VA , she is thrilled by the movie making and screen play especially the characterization of Doctor Srikanth and the patient Jaya L . Now she wants to have the movie CD as our permanent album !

The name is somewhat inauspicious & anti sentimental is one comment I had heard during my school days. By the sheer title itself, Mr.CVS clearly conveys to the audience that a sad end is imminent. Can you please narrate on how women treated the movie those days
madhuraman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: VENNIRA AADAI --- VII DIRECTION Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Balaji,
How nice it is to learn that women too evince interest on Directors like CVS. Actually, there is no wonder that CVS has handled a range of subjects like Raja- Rani subjects, serious love stories, all forms of sacrifice, richly cultured art type movies like Meenda Sorgam , Kalai koil, suspense thrillers like Yaar Paiyan, Nenjam Marappadhillai, comedy subjects like, Kadhalikka neramillat, ooty varai uravu, Uththaravinri ullae vaa [producer] and mega budgets like Sivandha mann and so on.
In fact , at the age of 19 he was an acknowledged writer and he wrote the dialogues for Ratha Paasam of TKS brothers. At a very young age he had the rich experience of handling cinema subjects and emphatically registered his credentials as a versatile director. FIRST OF ALL , he broke the tradition of relying on star value and was instrumental in bringing new talents to TF I. One can go on at length to establish that undoubtedly he was a pioneer in serious experimentation who also made every item a success in its own right. He was also the one who had the vision to be a wholesome Director who could mould the taste of cine goers instead resorting to vulgarity or cheap gimmicks and blaming it on the taste of the audience. Look at the range of subjects, their varieties , choice of artistes and the ever important factor of tempo in all his masterpieces.
As for Vennira aadai, the subject did not go well with the audience because the then women audience of Tamil cinema mentally associated themselves with the main characters of the movie. They would not tolerate , a woman getting deprived of her marital status as a "Sumangali" It was a bold venture by CVS to have handled the theme with absolute clarity. But our women then would not dissociate the concept of presenting a subject as a movie theme from how they personally wish to conduct their life.
Secondly the doctor's character was not understood because by then TF heroes would cling on to the girl and sing duets appreciating each other as a specially designed counterparts. With none of these grammars of TF in VA many did not understand the self-imposed restrictions of the doctor
towards the patient.In several earlier movies Doctors had been portrayed as seekers of love and BY CONDITIONED REFLEX the audience did not enjoy the fresh line of thought in which a totally different projection was made of the doctor hero.
Another set back was , VA was awarded "A" certificate implying it as a subject meant for ADULTS ONLY. It created an impact of Anticlimax in the minds of the audience who sat through the movie expecting some sensational moments. With nothing of that sort to feed their imagination, the audience felt "A" certificate was a planned effort to draw the audience. Some women did not go the movie that it is an "A" subject. Thus, except the really analytical among the women the general bulk did not really evaluate the movie. I was then in my Final B.Sc vacation and I could perceive a totally new and elegant way of planning in this movie and the Years [ 43+ now] have not faded a bit of my respect for the movie.
Thank you for the opportunity and please convey my respects and regards to your Mrs.
May God Bless You All.
Warm regards K.Raman Madurai.
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much Sir for a vivid recap on the scenario prevailed then. A movie of this genre if made today would have hit headlines with all the adjectives and praises showered on the Director. I will not be surprised if somebody attempts to remake VM as today’s world lacks creativity as could be seen from more and more old remakes both from the movies and also of the music. IMHO, VA qualifies as a an “ anti sentimental movie ”. Remarkable is Mr.Sridhar’s spirit and self confidence in attempting a different subject . Again, this movie will definitely survive across generations. Will be a good study material for future on how to handle a sensitive subject sensibly . Hope VA is being considered in Film Institute . Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Movies - A Special Section! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: