"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sumaithangi-Part 5-Kannadasan's contribution

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Movies - A Special Section!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Sumaithangi-Part 5-Kannadasan's contribution Reply with quote

7 songs in total feature SUmaithangi….all were written by Kannadasan…

Arguably 2 of Kavignar’s ever best lyrics appear in the movie…Manidhan enbavan deivamagalam and Mayakkamaa kalakkamaa enthralled the movie goers then and being venerated even today for the meaningful contents ...

While the former is a motivational one, the latter is highly philosophical !

Manidhan enbavan being viewed as a highly inspiring number ….when the joint family is clueless , how to respond to the sudden financial crisis upon Muthuraman losing his job, Gemini Ganesan comes forward to sacrifice his college studies ( in just 3 months , he could have become a B.A.degree holder ) …decides to take up a job for Rs. 150 pm …as the whole family rejoice with a deep breath , a philosophical Gemini goes for a walk in Chennai Marina Beach and sings this evergreen classic

While the first charanam concentrates on sacrifice , living for the Society and how leaders are produced , Kavignar is magnificent during the second charanam…if one has the heart to accept challenges, he / she can survive anywhere ….can make a mountain out of a molehill …can bear any amount of responsibility , brave any test …..through uncomplicated words, Kannadasan pens an amazing lyric !

The song is a real motivator and an energizing one…..a soothing feeling one gets ……

மனிதன் என்பவன் தெய்வமாகலாம்
வாரி வாரி வழங்கும்போது வள்ளலாகலாம்
வாழை போல தன்னை தந்து தியாகியாகலாம்
உறுதியோடு மெழுகு போல ஒளியை வீசலாம்

ஊருக்கென்று வாழ்ந்த நெஞ்ஜம் சிலைகளாகலாம்
உறவுக்கென்று விரிந்த உள்ளம் மலர்களாகலாம்
யாருக்கென்று அழுதபோதும் தலைவனாகலாம்
மனம் மனம் அது கோவிலாகலாம்

மனமிருந்தால் பறவை கூட்டில் மான்கள் வாழலாம்
வழியிருந்தால் கடுகுக்குள்ளே மலையை காணலாம்
துணிந்துவிட்டால் தலையில் எந்த சுமையும் தாங்கலாம்
குணம் குணம் அது கோவிலாகலாம்
madhuraman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Sumai thaangi 5 Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Balaji,
I am one of those who have been following your observations on S T and quite happy about your way of looking at things.
In my understanding MAYAKKAMA KALKKAMA is motivational and
MANISHAN ENBAVAN is richly philosophical ; as samples please see these
MAYAKKA MA KALAKKAMAA?

VAAZKKAI ENRAAL 1000 IRUKKUM
VAASAL THOAEUM VAEDHANAI IRUKKUM
VANDHA YJUNBAM EDHU ENRAALUM VAADI NINRAAL OADUVADHILLAI.

UNAKKUM KEEZHAE ULLAVAR KOADI
NINATHTHU PAARTHU NIMMADHI NAADU. These are highly motivating lines that tell us as to how to surmount hurdles.

Where as

MANIDHAN ENBHAVAN philosophizes the way we can "accommodate' for life situations.

MANAM IRUNDHAAL PARAVAIKOOTIL MAANGAL VAZHALAM
VAZHI IRUNDHAAL KADUGUKKULLAE MALAIYAIKKANALAM
THUNINDHU VITTAL THALAIYIL ENDHA SUMAIYUM THAANGALAM
MANAM MANAM ADHU KOIL AAGALAM.

How nicely he advocates the philosophy of reconciliation to ground reality !
A true poet he was, whose works have been immortalized by the right man -the great Mellisai Mannar.
What better relevance can one conceive for a movie's mission? A grand salute to all those giants and to you for recalling those items.
Warm regards. Prof.K.Raman Madurai.
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Professor Sir ,

I am extremely happy to read your understanding of “ motivational and philosophical ”.

Actually I was attempting to interpret the phrase “ where there is a will, there is a way ” which I think Kavignar would have got inspired while writing the song ( he doesn’t need any reference point is what we all already aware of )…the 3 sentences of the 2nd charanam have either direct or indirect reference to the famous phrase…which I thought are of inspirational in nature and intended to motivate
The words ending with “Vaazalaam, Kaanalaam , Thaangalaam ” during the second charanam swayed me to conclude on the motivation angle !

Quote:
A true poet he was, whose works have been immortalized by the right man -the great Mellisai Mannar.
What better relevance can one conceive for a movie's mission? A grand salute to all those giants

The ultimate winners are Mr.Sridhar who by narrating a mind blowing situation and our Masters MSV-TKR who in turn have presented with a stunning tune to inspire Kavignar unleash a delightful sequence of lyrics ! not to forget the manner the song was picturised by Vincent Sundaram !

Soon, I will be covering Mayakkamaa kalakkamaa and other songs, the Camera work, music and finally Mr.Sridhar’s screen play skills and direction…
madhuraman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: SUMAI THAANGI 5 Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Balaji,
Thank you for your kind response on the songs of ST. Gone are the days of quality in every sphere of life. Our reverence to those yester generation movie makers registers a deep anguish that totally inferior thought is now controlling the medium backed up by technology.

About postings:
As we keep searching our site for new postngs, what ever you wish to write, you just post ; please do not give advance signal. Let pepole have some degree of unexpected write-ups. If for some reason you have to deviate, you would still enjoy freedom , so long as you have not committed about any topic. I trust you [others too] enjoy postings devoted to select items instead of a broad treatment of a whole movie in a single posting. Also readers of varied tastes can respond to the items as required.

Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai.
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Lyrics of Mayakkamaa kalakkamaa Reply with quote

We will move on to the next famous song , MAYAKKAMAA KALAKKAMAA….

This is picturised as a background song ….it appears not once but on three different situations and all in the second half … the Protagonist is slowly realizes like getting cornered and isolated from everyone….the kind of sacrifices and give aways seem to hit him very hard….he is baffled …

The first time it comes when Balaji offers a very good job for Rs.400 pm which Muthuraman requests him to give him ….Gemini is stunned as he didn’t expect this kind of a demand from his brother ….as Gemini comforts him saying that he will continue to support the family a stubborn Muthu again vents his anger on him …..Gemini is forced once again to immediately surrender his lucrative job prospect in favour of his elder brother…..as Muthuraman feels relieved, an aggrieved Gemini slowly walks to his room shuts the doors and looks totally lost and in search of new direction…for the first time, the hero of the movie is getting nervous and feels insecure about his future…..Mr.Sridhar thought that this is the ideal time to launch the song…..

For a such situation , the lyric should be sympathetic and also should convince him that nothing is lost in life so long as he takes every failure as part of life and move on......

And what a lyric that followed !! Kannadasan exactly delivered what Sridhar wanted ... Amazing wordings by Kavignar Kannadasan yet again…..he is the Master of the situation…..he summarizes the plight of Gemini and philosophically comforts him to get back to his confidence levels…..

மயக்கமா …கலக்கமா…
மனதிலே குழப்பமா
வாழ்க்கையில் நடுக்கமா

வாழ்க்கை என்றால் ஆயிரம் இருக்கும்
வாசல் தோரும் வேதனை இருக்கும்
வந்த துன்பம் எதுவென்றாலும் வாடி நின்றால் ஓடுவதில்லை
வாடி நின்றால் ஓடுவதில்லை
எதையும் தாங்கும் இதயம் இருந்தால்
இறுதி வரைக்கும் அமைதி இருக்கும்

ஏழை மனதை மாளிகையாக்கி
இரவும் பகலும் காவியம் பாடு
நாளைய பொழுதை இறைவனுக்களித்து
நடத்தும் வாழ்வில் அமைதியை தேடு

உனக்கும் கீழே உள்ளவர் கோடி
நினைத்து பார்த்து
நிம்மதி நாடு

What follows will be the introduction of Muthu to Balaji and the appointment…a happy Muthu and his wife joyfully leave for a movie next ……Gemini walks in a park side and sees a happy L.Vijayalakshmi and her husband…..now Gemini tries one more attempt to renew his relationship with Devika….meets her but V.S.Raghavan interjects….he chides Gemini for having let down Devika and also adds that he has already fixed an alliance with a rich guy who is a much better alliance for Devika…ends with requesting Gemini that if he is really interested in Devika’s good future , he should give up and move out of her path….a dejected Gemini moves out ….

Gemini , out of frustration , resigns his job and comes back home….as he is about to take his food, an upset Muthuraman chides him for having resigned and adds that someone always has a free meal…. Unable to bear such unpardonable words, a tearful Gemini immediately walks out of the house….this sort of a stunning remark he never anticipated from his dear brother that he looks broken now….

Mr.Sridhar aptly inserts the song, the second time …..as Gemini walks in the night like an orphan …he recollects all the events ….the love with Devika, his discontinuing the studies , taking up a job, donating his bonus to his brother in law and finally ceding his lucrative offer to Muthuraman…but this time only the first paragraph is being used……

வாழ்க்கை என்றால் ஆயிரம் இருக்கும்
வாசல் தோரும் வேதனை இருக்கும்
வந்த துன்பம் எதுவென்றாலும் வாடி நின்றால் ஓடுவதில்லை
வாடி நின்றால் ஓடுவதில்லை
எதையும் தாங்கும் இதயம் இருந்தால்
இறுதி வரைக்கும் அமைதி இருக்கும்

A good friend of him identifies at a beach side and drops him at an isolated place and requests him to stay with peace as long as he wishes….Muthuraman rushes to see him and pleads for pardon and requests him to come back home….but Gemini needs peace of mind now and says he doesn’t want to be a burden to anyone any longer….a forlorn Muthuraman leaves an isolated Gemini….

Mr.Sridhar now brings the second paragraph again….

ஏழை மனதை மாளிகையாக்கி
இரவும் பகலும் காவியம் பாடு
நாளைய பொழுதை இறைவனுக்களித்து

உனக்கும் கீழே உள்ளவர் கோடி
நினைத்து பார்த்து நிம்மதி நாடு

Thus the song resurfaces within a short span …..Sridhar must have had a vision that this song is so vital that it had to convey very meaningful message to the aggrieved character..Kavignar is ready for the challenge….Indeed, this song is most significant amongst the 7 …

Unakkum KEeeze Ulllavar Kodi
Ninaithu PAarthu nimmadhi NAadu

Such words have been so motivating for another Kavignar….yes Valee was so desperate at one stage that he was not getting the ideal break in his career…decided to take the extreme path but on hearing this song, got the enough tonic to force himself into filmdom and established his career !

Kavignar asks us to take up any suffering in our stride and absorb it gracefully….

He also talks spiritual …..Nalaya pozudhu iravanukklaithu nadathum vazvil amaithiyai thedu …

A golden lettered song worth the highest acknowledgement ….IMHO , these 2 songs are the greatest contribution of Kannadasan ….

There are 2 love duets , one for Gemini-Devika and another for L.V.- her lover… 2 solo songs for Devika….one lengthy song for a dance sequence which Kamala Lakshmanan performs… all are well written by Kavignar...
madhuraman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Sumai thaangi Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Balaji,
As ever the present one on MAYAKKAMA KALAKKAMAA? is very nice. But a small correction

NAALAYA POZHUDHAI IRAIVANUKKALITHU
NADAKKUM VAZHVIL ........

Exactly here Kaviarasu implies that things are happening, Therefore he indicates "NADAKKUM VAAZHVIL" and his suggestion
"NALAYA POZHUDHAI IRAIVANUKKU ALITHU" elegantly advises .. STOP WORRYING, since in the previous couplet he has suggested
"YEZHAI MANADHAI MAALIGAI AAKKI
IRAVUM PAGALUM KAAVIYAM PAADU"
A grand suggestion that mind is the best source of relief and tranquility. What a great soul he was. We not only miss him we are irrepairaably deprived too.
Congrats for your nice writing. Go ahead.
Warm regards K.Raman Madurai.
msvramki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Balaji,

Your analysis on MAYAKKAMAA KALAKKAMAA is fantastic !

This song, because of the power of lyrics and the tune with which it is presented, has been a consoling element practically for every listener !

I had many moments when this song had given me so much of not only consolation but mental courage to face things with confidence !

I happened to sing this song in one of the Behaviour Training Programmes we had for a team of our R&D Engineers and at the end
I could see so much of emotions and a quickly-followed enthusism
in the participant's face ! I didn't know whether I sang well or not but
the lyrics & music DID create a dent in the participants mind. That is the power of the song ! At the end of my singing something prompted the Faculty and the participants, who all requested me to create an Anthem for the company. With the enthusiasm of my son Ram, when I told about the song later to him at home, we ended up Creating an Anthem for my company (TAFE) ; I wrote the lyric based on the company's vision statement and Ram composed music and orchestered it ! Now we are proud that EVERY company meeting around the world starts with this Anthem.
All credits go to Kaviarasar and Mellisai Mannar, whose wonder-song
MAYAKKKAMAA KALAKKAMAA led us (me and Ram) to create a memorable entity in the company's history !

Thank you, Balaji, for making me re-cherish the song !

Ramki

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Movies - A Special Section! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: