"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with Forum Database

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> "How to Register?", News, Announcements, Photo Gallery, Video Gallery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ram

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Problems with Forum Database Reply with quote

Dear All,

Recently we saw an issue in the forum database. The posts on April 28 disappeared from the forum. It is indeed disheartening to lose valuable articles & posts by our members.

These type of technical issues are beyond the control of the site Admins. I take weekly back-ups of the forum database, but we need to handle these issues which happen in the interim weekdays.

What can we do?

We can save a copy of our post in a notepad file. Thamizh posts should be saved in Unicode format in the notepad. This way:

1) We don't have to re-type the whole post / article again
2) We will miss any post / article that we posted (or) wanted to post.

Above are ideas to handle these type of 'JUST IN CASE' situations.

Any other thoughts / suggestions are welcome.
madhuraman

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: ENTRIES LOST Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Ram
Indeed it is quite annoying that such "pull outs" can happen in websites. On that fateful day we had perhaps about 6 postings [a real good number considering the present level of entries per week.] I vividly remember that all the postings of Mr. Ragasudha, Mr.Ramki, Mr. Balaji, Mr. Mahesh and myself had all appeared in about 2 hours and in fact I had made 2 entries [ Participation and another piece on LR E]. I find it hard to sustain enthusiasm.
As for typing on notepad and posting it, my question is

1, Is there a quick way of directing the material to a specific slot on a thread either as a a response pr as a new posting?
2. Can you consider requesting 3 or 4 of India-based friends to harvest back-ups on defined days of the week, so that no single person is over-burdened . Let it be that one man gets to do it once a week on a defined day.
Kindly consider expanding this work base so that all postings are held in reserve and retrieved if required.
Thank you. Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai
ragasuda

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Thank you Professor Reply with quote

Dear Professor Madhuraman,
I am indeed excited to see how you have observed and pointed out all of our postings which disappeared on that fateful day? It is really amazing. Thank you Sir. In fact I had posted a few songs with the links to hear them in response to your suggestion that the postings are not enough. In fact I too echoed my sentiments on the same. What I wrote was that there is a generation gap and the youngsters (it is really great on MM to have fans at such tender ages, teenage and below), may not be aware of many songs or that they might not have heard some songs at all. Also most of the songs discussed are repetitive and in order to contain this, I started posting a few songs which were not much heard of by the next generation. This will enable them to listen to the song and then respond instead of writing just on imaginative basis. This will also enable the posting lively since any body who wants to comment could do so after hearing the song. Any way I shall start writing these songs with the links again.
Thank you Sir,
With regards,
Raghavendran.
madhuraman

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Disappearing entries, Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Ragasuda,
While appreciating your open minded admiration of youngsters who are drawn by genuine compositions typical of MSV, I need to share with you some of my apprehensions. Is it possible that people can launch sabotages of wiping out entries? [My fear is, there are some mean minded who take delight in obstructive exercises]. It may appear more a surmise than a real happening. But, if it repeats a couple of times to weaken the site, then sustaining the spirit would prove very hard especially if the posting happens to be a long-drawn analysis. To redo a work is less attractive and even the phraseology would refuse to be that imbibing. A second attempt would only be a second attempt and would suffer from the innate weaknesses of a repeat effort.
We may restrict posting just 1 entry on a session so that even if sabotage occurs, the loss would just be minimal. In fact on 29April I alerted Mr.Ramki of the missing entries and requested him to take up the matter with Mr.Ram and Mr.Ramki has swiftly acted as could be inferred from Mr.Ram's posting. All of us need being alert not to lose our hard labour. It is just a loud thinking of what could be done.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai
ragasuda

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Disappearing entries, Reply with quote

[quote="madhuraman"]Dear Mr.Ragasuda,
While appreciating your open minded admiration of youngsters who are drawn by genuine compositions typical of MSV, I need to share with you some of my apprehensions. Is it possible that people can launch sabotages of wiping out entries? [My fear is, there are some mean minded who take delight in obstructive exercises]. It may appear more a surmise than a real happening. But, if it repeats a couple of times to weaken the site, then sustaining the spirit would prove very hard especially if the posting happens to be a long-drawn analysis. To redo a work is less attractive and even the phraseology would refuse to be that imbibing. A second attempt would only be a second attempt and would suffer from the innate weaknesses of a repeat effort.
We may restrict posting just 1 entry on a session so that even if sabotage occurs, the loss would just be minimal. In fact on 29April I alerted Mr.Ramki of the missing entries and requested him to take up the matter with Mr.Ram and Mr.Ramki has swiftly acted as could be inferred from Mr.Ram's posting. All of us need being alert not to lose our hard labour. It is just a loud thinking of what could be done.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai[/quote]
Dear Professor,
What you presume is 100% genuine and true. I agree that it is not a surmise but chances are that it may turn out in reality. But there are solutions by which we can overcome them. May be Mr. Ram can ask somebody in India to oversee it and monitor the postings. If there is some element of doubt, he may be authorised to tackle it so that this does not recur. There are always chances for such happenings. On our part, we should hereafter copy and preserve whatever we post so that the thoughts are preserved and the mind does not get tired of writing the same thing (which might also be difficult to recap and reproduce the same line by line). This way at least hubbers can contribute to their part. Some kind of alternate arrangements can be thought of for swift and immediate response to such crises. Your guidance takes this forum to great heights and I thank you for the same.
With regards,
Sincerely,
Raghavendran.
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Professor and Mr. Raghavendran,

I too witnessed the the vanished posts on 28th and immediately sent a mail to Ram . Now I realise that backups are being taken on a weekly basis.
If I write about a song , I normally save it in Word format and retain it for a week . So, there is always a self backup on our individual posts. However, for small comments and responses to posts of others, I dont take a backup.
As you both rightly highlighted, such things really demotivate to some extent . My only request to each hubber is that the Website is just a year old and it may take some more time to establish to become a full fledged active one.
Our primary objective is to make the current generation, know about the music of yesteryears and lets strive to forge ahead in that direction.

Ram, there is every possibiity that the website may get hacked and all disturbances are bound to come like any other active site. Pls be prepared and take all security measures.
Venkat

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear All,
I was also terribly shocked when I didn't see the postings. I thought some backup process could be going on.

I have a suggestion.
We can take a daily backup as below:
Whatever posts that were added in that particular day, that posts alone could be taken as a backup in the same tape or whatever media we use.

We can follow this process:
Weekly - A full backup could be taken once in a week.
Daily - Whatever changes made to the database that alone could be taken backup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> "How to Register?", News, Announcements, Photo Gallery, Video Gallery All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: