"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Naan unnai cherndha selvam-Kalaikovil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Lyrics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhuraman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Naan unnai cherndha selvam-Kalaikovil Reply with quote

Dear friends ,
I try something new to me [lyric analysis] But, I am secure having selected this song from Kalaikovil, rendered by PBS and PS. It is one of the finest numbers in TFM. It simultaneously showcases the calibre of both Kaviarasu and Seviarasu on an unshakable pedestal. After I finish the lyric part, I shall come back my observations.

Naan unnai cherndha selvam,Nee ennai aalum Dheivam
Ini enna solla vaendum Num ilamai Vaazha vaendum.........PBS

Num kadhal ullam kalaikoil, Iru kangal koilukku vaasal
Namadhasi koil mani Oasai, Adhil anbu vanna malar poojai.....PS

Sree Raman nenjil ninra Seethai ,Malar Kannan thaedikonda Radhai
Manam urugi soodikonda Kodhai,Onru serndhu vandhadhindha paadhai- PBS
Un viralgal en azhagai meetum, un vizhigal en uyirai vaattum
Un kuralum en peyarai koottum, adhu kodi kodi inbam kaattum. PS

Un achcham naanum enra naalum [4]
En arugil vandhavudan anjum [5]
Idhazh parugumbodhu nenjam aarum [6]
Adhu padum inbaswaram Yezhum [7] PBS

AGAIN PALLAVI IS RENDERED as culmination -PBS and PS.

NOW LOOK AT THESE FEATURES.
The song opens with the flute used to suggest the rowing of the boat. A split second after PBS opens up, Bangos makes a grand entry and keeps the song aloft. On occasions, the quick beat of bango sets the take-off point for the next syllable. What a brilliant orchestration-marvellous to say the least. All through the song the lyric and orchestration firmly embrace each other in true reflection of genuine love in that idyllic setting in ooty lakre. Oviously Kannadasan and MSV would not have thought of the final location.But, certainly they have recognized it would be a boat rowing song. What makes me say so? It is quite simple.At no place the lyric or music outshadow the complement. It s a fusion of minds and there is just no confusion.
Kaviarasu has simply revelled in the portrayal of the minds of the two involved companions.While the male partner reckons his wife to the epic characters of SITA, RADHA AND KODHAI, the female is down to earth straight away pinning on the elegant moves of her husband. In the last stanza Kaviarasu rapidly attains the stature of a magnificent poet by punning with numbers to reveal the eagerness in the husband.Will Seviarasu stay behind? Never. He brilliantly sustains the tempo and quickly reverts to pallavi in a grand finish with PBS and PS mystifying the listener with their silken touch. Why I chose this number is, its innate purity of expressing romance while KD and MM run the inconclusive race for supremacy. We the listeners come to the firm conclusion that the duo is an all-time gift from heavens for the knowledgeable or sensitive listeners.
Prdon my inability to analyse the musical dexterities of MSV.May be the analysts can come to our rescue.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Navi mumbai
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Prof.

You have picked one of my alltime favourites of the Master ! Very Happy

Pl shift this to song analysis section as it deserves to be there .

Starts with a melodious flute & then its all PBS & PS taking honours . Kavignar shows his class during the 2nd charanam for naangum...aindhum...aarum...paadum inba swaram ezum !

I sing this song regularly back home Very Happy

MSV was given an option by Sridhar to produce either this or Kathalikka neramillai. Sridhar apparently had also cautioned that an art movie may not get more returns in comparison to a comic entertainer but MSV still was particular on Kalai kovil & the result we are all aware Crying or Very sad

But nothing to take away the sheer variety of songs ...... Mulli roja .... Thangaradham vandhadhu..... Varavendum oru pozudhu !
tvsankar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Professorji,
Your pick is beautiful melody from our MSV.Padalin menmaiyaiyum,. kadhalin menmaiyaiyum purindhu kodnu ezhudha patta lyrics.Adhai unarndhukondu padiya PBS and PS......

"Why I chose this number is, its innate purity of expressing romance while KD and MM run the inconclusive race for supremacy. We the listeners come to the firm conclusion that the duo is an all-time gift from heavens for the knowledgeable or sensitive listeners" -

YOu have Nice words to express your thoughts Sir......

With Love,
Usha Sankar.
madhuraman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Lyric- Nan unnaichernda selvam Reply with quote

Dear Mr Balaji and Usha mam,
As for my posting the song, I am fully aware of the intricacies of the tune. But I am not adept in ragaas and their analysis. MUDAVAN KOMBUTHTHAENUKKU aasaippadalama?
Yen kurai unarndhu than Lyric sectionil ezhudhinaen. Song analysis seyya koduthu vaikkadhavargalil nanun oru uruppinan. Please pardon my inability.
Usha madam ,
You have expressed fine sentimemts on my writing. The truth is, any statement gets richly beautified when the idea is noble and the writer is honest in utterance. You can draw this inference and inspiration from many MSV songs. Thank you.
Warm regards. Prof.K.Raman Navi Mumbai.
s ramaswamy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

One of the evergreen duets of PBS-PS. The high point of this song according to me is the way the percussion (bango drums) finish after each stanza. Starts normally, slowly picks up tempo and ends with a bang ..... thatakkuthan.... Small changes in each stanza, but how effective they are!

"Un acham (naanam madam payirpu) engindra naalum, en arugil vandavudan anjum, ......aarum, athu paadum inba kathai ezhum", KD at his best as ever.

Have not seen this movie and also yet to set a single song of this movie being relayed by any TV channel. Any particular reason for this? The movie - with so many superb songs - was a flop, and MSV took a heavy hit as its producer, I am told. Is it true?
Vatsan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:00 am    Post subject: kalaikoyil Reply with quote

MSV took a big hit because of this movie. He chose this over Kathalikka neramillai owing to the scope for music the storyline offered.
Veena player Chittibabu was in his troupe then and was used extensively for this movie.

Let us also remember deviyar iruvar muruganukku......

This duet chosen is a master class dripping with melody and feelings. Ever the sensitive Master creator, every word is embellished with MSV's tune movements. The emphasis on the word deivam and the delicious melody around it..........PBS is very good here but PSusheela is all panache and romance. Starting from the stylish 'vENdum' to being the sweetness incarnate in the lower notes.

The entire song starting from the melody, the prelude and postlude mandolin+violin combo, subtle changes in the tunes for charanams sung by PBS and PS, the unexpected 'minor' note when the last line of the charanam gets repeated without the beats, the beats, how the flute emerges after a tryst with the violin to hand over the charanam to the singer and the overall impact...........this entire package was existing as vibrations somewhere in the universe in bits and pieces ,waiting to be to put together by MSV as its culmination point in its life journey.
Meenakshi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

நான் அடுத்து இந்த பாடலை பற்றித்தான் எழுதுவதாக இருந்தேன். நீங்களும் இதே பாடலை தேர்வு செய்து எழுதியதற்கு நன்றி. மிகவும் அற்புதமாக எழுதி இருக்கிறீர்கள். எனக்கு பிடித்த வரிகளை பற்றி நானும் எழுதுகிறேன்.

கண்ணதாசன் அவர்கள் சீதை, ராதை, கோதை இவர்கள் மூவரைப் பற்றியும் என்ன அழகாக ஒரே வரிகளில் எழுதி இருக்கிறார்.

ராமர் ஏகபத்தினி விரதராக இருந்தவர். அவர் நெஞ்சம் முழுதும் நிறைந்து இருந்த ஒரே பெண் சீதாதேவிதான். அதனால் "ஸ்ரீ ராமன் நெஞ்சில் நின்ற சீதை" என்றும்

கோகுலத்தில் கண்ணனை நினைக்காத பெண்களே இல்லை. அங்கிருந்த இளம் பெண்கள் அனைவருமே கண்ணனை தன் காதலனாகவே எண்ணி அவரை சுற்றி சுற்றி வந்தனர். ஆனால் கண்ணன் தானே விரும்பி தேடி சென்ற ஒரே பெண் ராதை. அதனால் "மலர் கண்ணன் தேடிக்கொண்ட ராதை" என்றும்

ஆண்டாளை பற்றி நான் சொல்லவேண்டிய அவசியமே இல்லை. அவள் தன் சிறு வயதிலிருந்தே கண்ணனின் கதைகளை கேட்டே வளர்ந்தவள். பின் அவரை மனம் உருக உருக பக்தி செய்து அவரையே கணவனாக அடைந்தவள். அதனால் "மனம் உருகி சூடிக்கொண்ட கோதை" என்று இவர்கள் மூவரை பற்றியும் ஒரே வரிகளில் எழுதி இருப்பது அற்புதம்.

இந்த படத்தின் நாயகனாக வரும் முத்துராமன் ஒரு வீணை வித்வான். வீணையை மீட்டும் விரல்கள், அவள் அழகையும் மீட்டுவதாக "உன் விரல்கள் என் அழகை மீட்டும்" என்று நாயகி தன்னை ஒரு வீணையாகவும், அதை மீட்டும் ஒரு கலைஞன் அவன் என்று பாடுவதாக அழகாக எழுதி இருக்கிறார்.

இந்த பாடல் செவியரசரும், கவியரசரும் இணைந்து நமக்கு படைத்துள்ள இனிய விருந்து.
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meenakshi Madam,

Interesting thoughts on how Kavignar had perceived the song ! nice observation on the choice of the mythological characters ……Also, Kannadasan must have taken a leaf out of Barathi’s Veenayadi nee enakku …..

It’s a fabulous composition ! Like Mr. Vatsan, I enjoy each & every word of this song. Look at the stress for each ending word …..Selvam…Deivam…Vendum…& during the charanam….Seethai… Raadhai….Kothai…Paadhai !!! PBS’s way of munificent modulation will be charming while PS sings……meettum…vaattum….koottum…kaattum…. & that lower scale repetition to take you to pallavi ! amazing tune setting no !!

And there is definite purpose behind repetition of the charanam simply for PS’s extending that VAAATTTUMMM…. Also the ending KODI KODI inbam kaattum…. That double Kodi must be MSV’s fillip to balance the rhythm…..

Vow ! even a mild violin flow behind when PBS sings ….nee enna solla vendum ….adds colour no ?!

PBS is not finished yet….. Naangum….anjum….aarum…ezum !! I believe MSV himself compliments that many such additional melodies & subtle variations to tone were the propriety of PBS only !

Well for PBS’s contribution to this song, I can write volumes…….. in particular when he ends with….ondru serndhu vandhadhindha PAADHAI… there is elegant mildness here …but for SEETHAI…he rushes ….for RAADHAI…he extends ……..for KOTHAI …he queries …..

I haven’t seen so many variations to a song within a charanam !!

The greatness of the orchestration is the way instruments have been mildly used & none overlaps or dominates the lyrics ……Its gross underplay!

Hope the Master recollects this song now….. After all its his home production no !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Lyrics All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: