"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Nadigar Thilagam" - Sivaji Ganesan !!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Tamil Film History, TFM Composers, Directors, Actors, Movies & Music (General Topics)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ram

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: "Nadigar Thilagam" - Sivaji Ganesan !!! Reply with quote

A gem produced by India!!!! Gauravam, Bale Pandiya, Baga Pirivinai, Paasa Malar, Pudhiya Paravai, Paava Mannippu, Paarthaal Pasi Theerum, Gnana Oli..... How many extra-ordinary movies !!!!

A discussion on this Legend!
Venugopalan Soundararajan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Gowravam Reply with quote

Dear Saradha,

Thanks for the wonderful narration of the climax scene of Gowravam. Like you, I am a great fan of Nadigar Thilagam (next to MSV, I like Sivaji). I don't know how many times I have seen this movie. In theatre alone, I might have seen it at least a dozen times on various occasions plus on innumerable occasions on TV. Of course, now I own a CD of this film.

As explained by you, Sivaji's sitting on the stair case will be shown from a high angle and the camera will zoom in on him. When he gets up and starts moving up the stairs with his hands folded behind (kaigalai pinnaal kattik kondu), the walk - with a jerk - will receive a big applause in the theatre. But a person like me used to clap louder for the "incredible" background music. Like Sivaji saying "Kannana illai Raajinikanta", one used to wonder who wins in that scene "Sivaji-ya illai MSV-ya". My marks will be full 10 for MSV and 9.99 for Sivaji.

Like the word "Never" (which MSV included in the song "Neeyum Naanuma"), another word became popular in this film, i.e. "Beauty". You may remember, just before the start of the case, the son Sivaji comes to the house to meet the elder Sivaji to take bis blessings. He used to indulge in an argument with Pandaribai quoting from the Mahabaratha etc, when suddenly the elder Sivaji will appear on the upper floor with Pipe in hand. He will ask "Nee yenda indha case-la appear aahanum". The son Sivaji will say "Adhu en Duty". Immediately the elder Sivaji will say "Angadhanda irukku Beauty" (a deafening applause will reverberate in the theatre - I have experienced this on all the occasions I saw the movie in the theatre.

MSV's re-recording throughout the movie is fantastic. Apart from the climax scene music, I will pinpoint the exciting fast Violin bit he comes out with at the end of "Neeyum Naanuma" song. The music starts as soon as the song ends when Sivaji blows away the Chess Coins from the Chess Board with his hands. Again MSV comes out with the same music, when the elder Sivaji comes down the stair case, preparing to go to the court.

Your comments please Saradha.
Ram

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love many scenes from Gauravam.

Sivaji standing in one leg with pipe in his mouth...

Saying "Am I becoming sentimental..."

Great acting!
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: another show!!! Reply with quote

Dear Ms. Sharadha,

I literally happen to see Gauravam yet another time - absolutely free!!!
Thank you
Cheers
Vaidy
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Andha Naal - a movie sans songs & Shivaji in antihero ro Reply with quote

WHY THE THREAD ON THE GREATEST EVER ACTOR ON EARTH IS QUIET Shocked

LETS ANALYZE the scenario prevailed when NT made his debut & lets have a rewind of the past history of tamil cinema and the trend then.

During this period, ( I mean the 50s and the 60s ), majority of the themes were oriented either towards history based characters or raja rani type movies at the one end with Makkal Thilagam as the lead hero ( of course others like Ranjan, M.K.Radha, Gemini G were also there ) and social themes made by the likes of Sridhar, Mukaa , Bhimsinghetc .

But one exception was S.BALACHANDER who always used to think different , created a real suspense thriller of a movie ANDHA NAAL

Yes, long before Pudhiya Paravai, rather during the formative years , Nadigar Thilagam had acted in an extordinary movie ANDHA NAAL .

It was released in 1954, 2 years after his debut in cinema .

A movie sans songs !! and that too from a musical genius like S.Balachander !

The core theme of Andha Naal is that of a traitor who sold his country’s secrets to the enemy country ( Japan at that time ) . Its actually an ANTIHERO type character .

The story timing relates to 1943 ( in relation to World war 2).

Young and aspiring Radio Engineer Rajan ( NT ) sets ambitious plans to launch low priced Radio sets to the unaffordable mass but the lack of takers and backing support for his dream concept makes him go the extreme way possible. Yes, he becomes a spy to Japanese and provides vital information from time to time through some hi-tech communicating device invented by him in a secret chamber of his but gets killed by his wife Pandaribhai accidentally while she tries to pull away the pistol out of his hands but this truth is buried by the Director .

The movie starts with the mourning of the dead Rajan character and as the first information report suspected a murder , 2 detectives from police dept. start their process. One was Javar Seetharaman who also penned the story . So, a strange movie wherein the hero ? character is no more in the beginning itself !

And exactly the same day after Japan bombed Chennai in 1941, NT gets killed by a single bullet shot at his house itself . Hearing the sound , his neighbour lodges to the police dept and that’s how everything gets known .

Other than his wife , his brother, his brother’s wife and a dancer were the prime suspects to the case.

Interestingly, each suspect will try to accuse the other as the culprits ( except ofcourse Pandaribhai who will remain silent and crestfallen )

So its all about a police investigation and zeroing in on finding the culprit finally.

Through Javar Seetharaman’s probe ( the CID ) at 4 characters who all revolved around that Rajan , S.B. deliberately misleads the audience by giving an impression from those angles as if he must have been killed like this for this reason only ….. and the movie gets into a fix at one stage wherein the police could not move further on any further clues as to who would have been the real culprit behind the killing. But the manner in which each person gets probed, the audience will conclude that yes this guy must have done this etc etc.

A desperate Javer Sitaraman finally gets to read some words like :

1. Kondu vandhalum varavitalum - thai
2. Seerkondu varuvan – sagodharan
3. Uyir kaapaan - thozan
4. Kolayum seival - Pathini !!

And this quote creates a spark and zeroes on his target. He finally summons all those characters and asks them to shoot a dummy of Rajan and watches them how they react. While everyone shoot without any fuss, when it comes to Pandari Bhai, she collapses and screams loudly - No no, I will not !!

And now she reveals the truth on how she kills her husband NT !

Rajan meets Pandari Bhai a highly patriotic woman , who is a college student . As they meet accidentally and charmed by some good qualities of both fall in love and get married. On a business trip NT visits Japan, becomes their informer / spy and uses this method to avenge India .

A significant change in NT’s attitude puzzles Pandaribhai as he starts talking anti national and his moves are very suspicious. So one night , she accidentally steps inside his room and finds all hitech communication devices and questions him strongly. When NT reveals his true identity, she gets upset with him and pleads him and ultimately warns him to give up. NT doesn’t like her poking and takes a revolver to threaten her but as he tries to grab it from him, accidentally her fingers trigger the pistol and NT dies in the process.

S.Balachander, though we all know him as a musical genius and a Veena expert, he started his career on the lines of cinema only but later took up veena seriously and rest is history.

Though the theme is an inspiration from five angles on murder , the Woman in Question, based on a script by John Cresswell and directed by Anthony Asquith, SBalachander takes the story in a manner reachable to tamil audience and makes it very fascinating to watch. SB also made movies like Bommai , Naduiravil ( all thriller ) . Incidentally, it was SB who introduced KJ Yesudas through Bommai ( neeyum bommai naanum bommai song ). If SB had continued to focus on cinema, we would have seen more innovative themes .

When the CID Javer Sitaraman moves to round 3 of his investigation, there arises a plethora of probabilities and possibilities thereby getting suspicion on each character.

Superb camera work all through the movie. At times, the camera becomes the main characters NT and Pandaribhai ! . Really it was way ahead of times for tamil cinema.

I will go one step further and say that one should watch this movie purely for camera work !

Despite a mind blowing theme and a movie way ahead of times, sadly, it did not generate enough cash flows and was not a commercial success.

Guess who was the producer ? It was AVMeyappan ! who wanted atleast one song but a stubborn Balachander convinced him that a single song will not create an impact to the movie and better lets have it without any song and so be it.

Though it was not a commercial hit, it elicited good reviews, won the Certificate for Best Feature Film and the Award for the Best Film of 1954 from Madras Film Fans Association.

The great AVM was so passionate about this movie that he had mentioned in his autobiography that the high class intellectual society liked / appreciated this movie .

Javer Sitaraman ( as we all know that Bannerman character who orders Kattabomman to be hanged finally in VPK and also that famous bootham in Pattanathil bootham movie ) who wrote the script and story performs his part extremely well. He had a unique way of dialogue delivery .

The so called climax scene between NT and Pandaribhai , will have lots of verbal exchanges, quite interesting to see ! While NT will be pouring his frustration on nation and how it ditched his prospects and what made him to turn a betrayer, Pandaribhai will be all graceful and full of energy and anger personified and shoot back pin point replies to all his posers . At one stage she will emerge dominant and this makes Rajan character go berserk and the end.

Again , what makes this movie stand apart and look an odd one out is the way the story was narrated wherein the audience are shown one single incident from each character’s perspective .

I would consider this movie , a milestone in tamil cinema. Not sure whether such themes were handled in hindi cinema industry earlier.

Our NT will be flesh and blood . One can see a young aspiring NT in stage 1 , a depressed youngster in stage 2 and finally an aggressive traitor in stage 3 . His body language will be terrific when he tries to justify his act before Pandaribhai.

Look at his eyes as it will glow the moment a call comes from Japan and how restless he will be and the way he communicates with them will all be terrific !

Pandaribhai, the great lady who was incidentally NT’s first pair through Parasakthi plays her part in a splendid manner . She was one of veteran artists who excelled in every role given. See the same Pandaribhai in Deiva magan and you will feel the difference. Again amazing will be this Pandaribhai in Gouravam as someone jammed between husband and son .

Though today , this may not arouse that much thrill , the suspense factor will make you sit and watch even today. Imagine such a novel theme experimented way back in the early 50s !

Right from the opening scene to the end , the movie moves at brisk pace and I bet you will not go for a tea break at any point of time !

NT was expected to portray both as a nice guy and also a wicked traitor & he does it with effortless ease and flawlessly. The greatness of him was the utter disregard for a hero image . The character also smokes and has a mild affair with a dancer. Incidentally, in the same year, NT also did the one and only movie with Makkal thilagam ( Koondu kili ) which also was a different character.

NT also had a nice make up and dressing pattern. At times, he appears with a hat and a big coat ! Youthfulness pervades and a vibrant NT can be seen with enthu.

One of the best movies of tamil cinema industry itself is Andha Naal
saradhaa_sn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"அந்த நாள்"[/b]

அந்த நாளில், அதாவது அந்த நாட்களில் (1950) படம் துவங்கும்போது கர்நாடக இசையுடன் அல்லது கர்நாடக இசைப்பாடலுடன் படத்தின் டைட்டில்கள் ஓடும். முடிந்ததும் ஒரு அரசவையில் அரசவை நர்த்தகியின் நடனம் நடைபெறும். அதைத்தொடர்ந்து பாத்திரங்கள் பேசத்துவங்க படம் நகர ஆரம்பிக்கும். இதுதான் அன்றைய நடைமுறை.

ஆனால் "அந்த நாள்" படத்தின் துவக்கத்தைப்பாருங்கள். படம் துவங்கும்போது ஜாவர் சீதாராமனின் குரலில்

"இரண்டாம் உலகப்போர் நடைபெற்றுக் கொண்டிருந்தபோது போர் விமானங்கள் குண்டு வீசித் தாக்கிக்கொண்டிருந்தன. எந்த நேரம் என்ன நடைபெறுமோ வென்று எல்லோர் மனதிலும் ஒரு அச்சம் குடிகொண்டிருந்தது. அப்போது ஒருநாள் சென்னை திருவல்லிக்கேணியில் ஒரு வீட்டில்..."

இதைப்பேசி முடிக்கும் முன்பாகவே, திடீரென்று துப்பாக்கி வெடிக்கும் சப்தம், அதைதொடர்ந்து சிவாஜி நெஞ்சைப் பிடித்துக்கொண்டே கேமராவிலிருந்து பின்னோக்கிச்சென்று கீழே விழுவார். கால்களை உதைத்தவாறே உயிரை விடுவார். (ஆம். முதல் காட்சியிலேயே கதாநாயகன் அவுட். அந்த நாளில் நினைத்துப்பார்க்க முடியாத புதுமை). சிவாஜி இறந்ததும், மாடியிலிருந்து கதவொன்று திறக்கும். ஒரு வழுக்கைத்தலை பெரியவர் தட தட வென மாடிப்படிகளில் ஓடி வந்து கேமரா அருகில் வந்ததும் கீழுதட்டை கைகளல் பிடித்தவாரே அங்குமிங்கும் பார்ப்பார். பின்னர் ஓடத்துவங்குவார். டைட்டில்கள் ஓடத்துவங்கும். (ஆம் 'அந்த நாள்'.. அந்த நாளேதான்).

கொலை எப்படி நடந்தது என்று விசாரிக்க வரும் சி.ஐ.டி.ஜாவர் சீதாராமனிடம், கதாபாத்திரங்கள் ஒவ்வொருவரும், கொலை எப்படி நடந்திருக்கக் கூடும் என்று அவரவருக்கு தெரிந்த விஷயங்களைக்கொண்டு விவரிக்க, ஒவ்வொன்றும் ஒரு ஃப்ளாஷ்பேக்காக விரியும். [b]ஒவ்வொருவர் சொல்லி முடிக்கும்போதும் சிவாஜி சுடப்பட்டு விழுவார்.
(படம் முழுவதையும் ஃப்ளாஷ் பேக்கிலேயே சொல்லும் பாணியில் பின்னாளில் வந்த பல புதுமைப்படங்களுக்கு வித்திட்டு வழிகாட்டிய படம் 'அந்த நாள்').

பெரியவர் பி.டி.சம்பந்தம், சிவாஜியின் தம்பி டி.கே.பாலச்சந்திரன், பாலச்சந்திரனின் மனைவி, நாடோடிப்பாடலை சுவாரஸ்யமாகப்பாடும் சோடாக்கடைக்காரன், குதிரை வண்டிக்காரன்... ஒவ்வொருவரும் எவ்வளவு ஜீவனுள்ள பாத்திரங்கள்..!!. நாட்டுப்பற்று மிகுந்த பண்டரிபாய், கல்லூரி விழாவில் புரட்சிக்கருத்துக்களை சொல்லும் சிவாஜியைக் கண்டு காதல் வசப்படுவது ஒரு அருமையான கவிதை நயம். தன்னுடைய திறமையை தன்னுடைய சொந்த நாட்டு அரசாங்கம் அங்கீகரிக்கவில்லை என்று விரக்தியின் எல்லைக்குப் போய் ஜப்பான் நாட்டு அரசுடன் உறவு வைத்து தன் சொந்த நாட்டுக்கே விரோதியாக மாறும் துடிப்புள்ள எஞ்சினீயர் கதாபாத்திரத்தில் சிவாஜி தூள் கிளப்பியிருப்பார்.

கேமரா வழியாக கதை சொல்லும் பாணி முதலில் இந்தப்படத்தில்தான் பரீட்சித்துப் பார்க்கப்பட்டிருக்கும் என்பது பலரின் எண்ணம். நான் முன்பு சொன்னது போல அறையைப்பூட்டிக்கொண்டு சிவாஜி போகும்போது அவரோடேயே கேமராவும் போகும். கையிலிருக்கும் சாவிக்கொத்தை மேலும் கீழும் தூக்கிப்போட்டுப் பிடித்தபடி அவர் செல்லும்போது, கேமராவும் சாவியோடு மேலும் கீழும் போகும்.

அதே போல இறுதிக்காட்சியில், தான் சுடப்படுவதற்கு முன்பாக, சுழல் நாற்காலியில் அமர்ந்த படி மனைவி பணடரிபாயுடன் பேசும்போது கேமரா இவரிடத்தில் அமர்ந்து கொண்டு இவர் பார்வை போகும் திசையெல்லாம் போகும். அறை முழுக்க சுற்றி சுற்றி அலையும்.

( 'இருகோடுகள்' படத்தில் கலெக்டர் சௌகார், முதலமைச்சர் அண்ணாவை பேட்டியெடுக்கும் காட்சியில், அண்ணாவின் இருக்கையில் கேமரா அமர்ந்து, அவர் பார்வை போகும் திசைகளில் போவதைக்கண்டுவியந்தேன். அதன் பின்னரே 'அந்தநாள்' பார்க்கும் வாய்ப்பு கிடைத்தது. இந்த உத்தி ஏற்கெனவே (15 ஆண்டுகளுக்கு முன்பே) அந்த நாளில் பயன்படுத்தப் பட்டிருப்பதைக் கண்டு வியப்பின் எல்லையை அடைந்தேன். (பாலச்சந்தர் என்று பெயர் வைத்தாலே புதுமைகள் செய்யதோன்றுமோ)

எஸ். பாலச்சந்தர், தானே ஒரு நடிகராக இருந்தும் கூட, சில காட்சிகளில் தானே நடித்துப் போட்டுப் பார்த்தபின், சரிவரவில்லையென்றதும் தூக்கிப்போட்டுவிட்டு ஏ.வி.எம். செட்டியாரின் ஆலோசனையின்படி நடிகர்திலகத்தை கதாநாயகனாகப் போட்டு படத்தை எடுத்தார்.

படத்தில் பாடல்களே இல்லாததால் இசையமைப்பாளர் என்று தனியாக ஒருவர் கிடையாது. படத்தின் டைட்டிலில் 'பிண்ணனி இசை : ஏ.வி.எம்.இசைக்குழு' என்று மட்டும் காண்பிக்கப்படும்.

'ஆகா... ஓகோ... என்று கொண்டாடும் அளவுக்கு இப்படம் வெற்றியடையவில்லையென்றாலும், தமிழ்த்திரையுலக வரலாற்றில் எந்நாளும் பேசப்படும் படமாக சிறந்த தொழில் நுட்பம், மற்றும் புதிய சிந்தனை அமைந்த படம்தான் "அந்த நாள்"
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Andha Naal Reply with quote

Dear Sharadha,

Great write-up. Intha Naalil Andha Naal patri pramadhamaga ezhuthiatharku ungalukku mikka nanri. Another great innovation by S. Balachander was in the thriller "Bommai". In the end of the movie he would actually introduce the entire crew that worked for the movie on screen. A dare devil innovation of class nature which no one ever dared to do, SB did. I was really fascinated when I saw this. Same way, none of the MDs ever brought the orchestra members on screen except in the movie Server Sundaram in which our Master Creator would appear in a suit as a conductor. It seems AVM wanted to project MSV as a music conductor and hence this scene was shot exclusively. Great Directors and Producers they were in those days!!! I salute them.
Cheers
Vaidy
ragasuda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Nadigar Thilagam Sivaji Ganesan Reply with quote

Dear friends and fans of the great Nadigar Thilagam and MSV,
I am happy to inform you that a website devoted to the filmography of Nadigar Thilagam Sivaji Ganesan has been launched by me. Kindly visit the site and send your feedback to the email link provided therein.
Thank you all,
Sincerely,
V. Raghavendran
ragasuda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[b][size=18][/size][color=darkblue][/color]Following is the URL which was left in my earlier posting:
www.nadigarthilagam.com
Sincerely,
V.Raghavendran[/b]
saradhaa_sn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragasuda wrote:
Following is the URL which was left in my earlier posting:
www.nadigarthilagam.com
Sincerely,
V.Raghavendran

Dear Raghavendran...

I have visited many times to the website of Nadigar Thilagam. It is an appreciable effort by you. We can understand your task to gather informations and stills of all the movies.

Today when I was going through the '100th Day List' of movies, I found the movie 'Viswaroopam' is missing.

I am sure it was a 100 days movie, for which 100th day function was celebrated at Shanthi theatre in which Karunanidhi was Cheif Guest. Our MSV also attended that function and received the sheild.

Recently I watched an interview of P.Suseela. In between the interview, they showed some stills of PS getting awards in various functions. One among them is, she is getting 100th day sheild of Viswaroopam from actress Sowcar Janaki.

Please correct it.
Jeev

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: www.nadigarthilagam.com Reply with quote

Vilaiyatu Pillai ran 100 days at Midland Theatre Chennai. Please
update your records.
ragasuda

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Thillaana Mohanambal shooting video Reply with quote

Dear friends,
Louis Malle, a French director, in his short film on India, has covered the shooting of Thillana Mohanambal, starring Nadigar Thilagam, Padmini, T.S. Balaiah, T.R. Ramachandran, AVM Rajan. APN directs the film. And see how extracts what he wants, from the artistes. And Hema Malini, gets prepared for her Arangetram.
The beauty of this video is, it starts with the prelude music of Aaru Maname Aaru, our Mellisai Mannar's composition.
Click below for the video. Courtesy Thiru Mohanraman and Youtube.
http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=4JB_Mqm1tV8
Raghavendran.
http://msvquiz.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilmsongs.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilms.blogspot.com/
http://mellisaititle.blogspot.com
ragasuda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

மெல்லிசை மன்னரின் அன்பிற்குரியவரும் தமிழ் நெஞ்செலாம் நீக்கமற நிறைந்தவருமான நடிகர் திலகம் சிவாஜி கணேசனின 9வது நினைவு நாளில் அவருக்கு உளமார்ந்த அஞ்சலி உரித்தாகட்டும்.

ராகவேந்திரன்
http://msvquiz.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilmsongs.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilms.blogspot.com/
http://mellisaititle.blogspot.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Tamil Film History, TFM Composers, Directors, Actors, Movies & Music (General Topics) All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: