"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JAMBULINGAME JADAATHARA - KAASETHAAN KADAVULADA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sriram Kannan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: JAMBULINGAME JADAATHARA - KAASETHAAN KADAVULADA Reply with quote

Whenever I hear this song, I would be ending up laughing wholeheartedly. None can compose such a "funny" devotional song than our EMPEROR. Another example is "Kaasikku Pogum Sanyaasi" from Chandrodayam. How can people resist laughing at such songs during composition? The "comedy" aspect of the song is only through its lyrics, with "Thengaai" Srinivasan mispronouncing the words, and I am sure everyone would be concentrating only upon it. But, when coming to orchestration, our EMPEROR again shows His uniqueness, with the variety of instruments used in pallavi and charanams. Even, I found it after watching the movie, where you will find a group of hippies with guitar at the side playing all along during the song.

"Kaasethaan Kadavulada" is a low budget movie for AVM, after which they stopped their production for a while and resumed at "Murattu Kaalai". The movie was a super hit, with the comedy trio of Muthuraman-Thengaai Srinivasan-Srikanth, and our EMPEROR's marvellous songs. The movie has almost every variety of a song, "Aandavan Thodangi", sung by EMPEROR, ALR and chorus - another comedy song, but with "thathuvams" about the importance of money in the present world, "Mella pesungal pirar ketka koodaathu" - a beautiful romantic, "Indru Vantha Intha Mayakkam" - a "pep" number by PS (my favorite), and this one.

The story is simple, but has almost been copied by every comedy director in the present trend. "Thengaai" plays the critical role, a local Chennai guy, acting as a saint and tries to loot money from Manorama, with the backing up of Muthuraman and Srikaanth. The song is a devotional(!!!) one for the pooja hosted by Manorama.

The singers in this trio are of a rare genre, identified, picked and well utilised by our EMPEROR. Kovai Soundarrajan, having voice in a striking resemblance with TMS, been used by EMPEROR in many occassions (My favorite is "Soan Papdi" from "En Magan" - TMS and KS singing for both the Sivaji's - an excellent "folk" number. Does anyone have the song ? Please do let me know.) KS sings for Muthuraman. Another rare singer, Veeramani, popular for his devotional songs sings for "Thengaai" Srinivasan. The third one is Darapuram Sundarrajan, is for Srikaanth.

An unexpected opening for a supposed-to-be devotional song, and the entire song takes us through a mysterious journey, where we can see the magic of our EMPEROR. A pure western prelude, the pallavi going along with it and in the interludes, and a sudden change to Carnatic at charanams. You can see, there is not a single place an instrument stops for a while and the other takes over, leaving a gap. Everything happens on the way, like a river taking its path without a stop when faced by hurdles. But, we would ever know, which instrument is going to sneak in during the song. For example, whenever "Thengaai" makes a mistake in the charanam and Muthuraman corrects it, mridangam finishes one end, and drums begins the other. We have to remember, this is not a Nadigar Thilagam/Makkal Thilagam/KB/PM movie.... and here we see the definition of an "unbiased" creation.

(Ire has mentioned the same in one of his previous threads

http://www.msvtimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1348 ).

The song opens with tuntun and jalra, a mild guitar starting at the background slowly growing up and coming to the front along with the drums,followed by a short bit of mandolin and jalra, gives a beautiful opening to the singers at "Jambulingame Jadatharaa..." After the first line, there is a chorus "heyyyy...", saying clearly this song is not going to be an usual one. Then, Thengaai commits the first mistake,

"Vaayulingame Ada Buda..Panchalingame Mada Bada...."

The drums hault at the last word with two taps, followed by the silent curses, and the drums taking over again with KS beginning to sing, correcting Veeramani. The timing given for those silent curses, marvellous!!!. Namma EMPERORarai poruthavarai "EDHUVUM MUDIYUM".

The first prelude begins with guitar and drums, guitar moving in a way as it is a "party" song, every rhythm making our body move along with it, and when it finishes, it is backed up by tabla. KS starts with "Kaalanai Udaitha En Appane", the atmosphere suddenly changed, mridangam and jalra comes now in the background. Throughout the charanam, mridangam and tabla go hand in hand, maintaining the tempo of the song. (Before starting "Mahadeva", we hear mridangam, but finishing at "Viswanaatha", we hear tabla.) Here, Thengaai commits the second mistake,

"Paambai adikkum Aandavane"

Here, mridangam gives the hault, curses following, and drums taking over again with KS.

The third mistake comes in the same charanam as well,

"Saiva porulaai irupavane, anru Hotel kariyai kettavane.." (Enna Lyrics!!! Vaaipe Illai)

Throughout the charanam, "hatey..hatey..sabapathey" chant will follow every line (The actions they make for the chant is funny and definitely makes us laugh!!!)

The second interlude is again with drums and guitar in a similar way, with the ending done by tabla, and opening up the second charanam. KS starts with "Maganidam Paadam Padithavane", the line ending up in a prolongation by all the three singers, as if it is a stage drama, and tabla gives a faboulous finishing touch.

The final and the funniest mistake comes here,

"Malakashaayathai kudithavane" (Didnt they get any opposition for this???)

The drums take over back at the pallavi again, a hilarious journey coming to an end.

The song finishes with the fast chant "hara hara shiva shiva", all the instruments joining in harmony and finished by drums.

Such comedy songs are very rare in this generation, also those coming up now are replicas of the popular comedy songs of old (many examples....). Our EMPEROR proves again he has not left a single field, and handled every "Rasam" of "Navarasam"s.

Follow me at http://bibliomaniac-moviefanatic.blogspot.com/
sriramp

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: JAMBULINGAME JADAATHARA - KAASETHAAN KADAVULADA Reply with quote

Great dissection of the song Sriram.

I have updated my profile to show the email address. When you find time please send me the Bharathiyar song you have. I you have anyproblems sending it please let me know.

Someother MSV's comical songs I like are "Varavu ettana..."(Bhama Vijayam) and a song in which Vishnu Vardan and his children pushing a car ("..yenna vela yeri pochu matte kattunga..... Gopala....Gopala....).

When you find some time, please write up some analysis for these songs too Smile.

Please email me the Bharathiyar song, if you know the movie name please let me know.
Sriram Kannan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sent you the song... Its "Kanne Kaniamudhe" starring Raguman and Amala.. Please let me know once u get it..

The song you mentioned was from "Mazhalai Pattaalam" - "Thallu model vandi ithu thalli vidunga"... I have that song too Smile

I will write on that soon.

vaidymsv

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: CLASSY FUSION Reply with quote

Dear Sriram Kannan,

Fabulous pick to illustrate what fusion music is all about. Truely a master piece of a song that features the mix of both Western & Indian instruments AT UNIMAGINABLE LEVELS!!!. Only our EMPERROR has the golden character of stealing the hearts of his rasikas with his prelude itself!!! This song is my younger son's (vaibhav, learning keyboard under Mr. Sadanand, Late.Shri. R. Sudharsanam's son) favourite number and he goes on talking about the usage of Drums in this song. Great pick Sriram. I would rate the song "AVAN ENNA NINAITHAAN" by PS as the song of the movie. Sriram, pse see if you could throw more light on this song.

MSV SCINTILLATES EVERY HEART IRRESPECTIVE OF AGE!!!

CHEERS
MSV IS MUSIC
VAIDY

saradhaa_sn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: JAMBULINGAME JADAATHARA - KAASETHAAN KADAVULADA Reply with quote

Sriram Kannan wrote:

'தேங்காய்' பாடும் அந்த வரி.....

"மதுகஷாயத்தை குடித்தவனே"

உடனே வழக்கம்போல அதிர்ச்சியடைந்த முத்துராமன், அதை

"மகா விஷத்தை குடித்தவனே"... என்று திருத்துவார்.
saradhaa_sn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: CLASSY FUSION Reply with quote

vaidymsv wrote:
I would rate the song "AVAN ENNA NINAITHAAN" by PS as the song of the movie.

டியர் வைத்தி...

'அவன் என்ன நினைத்தான்' பாடலை நீங்கள் குறிப்பிட்டதும், அந்த பாடல் பதிவின்போது நடந்த ஒரு சம்பவம் பற்றி சொல்வது சரியென்று நினைக்கிறேன்.

இந்தப்பாடல் பதிவின் போது இசையமைப்பாளர் (சங்கர்) கணேஷும் உடனிருந்தாராம். பாடல் ரிக்கார்ட் ஆகி முடிந்ததும், தன் குருநாதர் எம்.எஸ்.வி. அவர்களிடம் "அண்ணே, இதே போன்ற ஒரு சிச்சுவேஷன் நான் இப்போது இசையமைக்கும் 'புகுந்த வீடு' படத்தில் வருகிறது. அதுக்கு நானும் சங்கராவும் பல ட்யூன்கள் போட்டுப்பார்த்தும் எங்களுக்கு திருப்தியில்லை. அதனால் நீங்களே அதற்கு ஒரு பல்லவி மட்டும் வாசித்துக்காட்டுங்களேன். அதை வைத்து நாங்கள் டெவலப் பண்ணிக்கிறோம்" என்று கேட்டாராம்.

உடனே மெல்லிசை மன்னர், தன் ஆர்மோனியத்தில் ஒரு பல்லவி வாசித்துக்காட்ட கணேஷ் அதை நோட்ஸ் எடுத்துக்கொண்டாராம். அதையே பல்லவியாக வைத்து பாடலை ரிக்கர்ட் பண்ணி முடித்தார்களாம். அந்தப்பாடல்......

'நான் உன்னைத் தேடுகிறேன்
நாள்தோறும் பாடுகிறேன்
நீ போகும் பாதையெல்லாம்
நிழலாக ஓடுகிறேன்'

'புகுந்த வீடு படத்தின் பாப்புலர் பாடல் இது. (ஆனால் இன்றைய தலைமுறையினர் எத்தனை பேருக்கு இந்தப்பாடல் தெரியும் என்பது தெரியவில்லை)
Sriram Kannan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: JAMBULINGAME JADAATHARA - KAASETHAAN KADAVULADA Reply with quote

saradhaa_sn wrote:
Sriram Kannan wrote:

'தேங்காய்' பாடும் அந்த வரி.....

"மதுகஷாயத்தை குடித்தவனே"

உடனே வழக்கம்போல அதிர்ச்சியடைந்த முத்துராமன், அதை

"மகா விஷத்தை குடித்தவனே"... என்று திருத்துவார்.

Dear Saradha Madam,

Thanks for the correction... But, in my collection, that's the word in the song.. Maybe, they would have changed later... I did not know if there were any other version for the song.. I got from the below link:

http://www.tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://www.dhool.com/sotd/jambulingame.rm

Sriram Kannan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: CLASSY FUSION Reply with quote

vaidymsv wrote:
I would rate the song "AVAN ENNA NINAITHAAN" by PS as the song of the movie

Vaidy Sir,

Even my father exclaims about the song "Avan Enna Ninaithaan" very much.. Unfortunately, I dont have this song. Could you please send me a link for the same?

vaidymsv

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: AVAN ENNA NINAITHAAN Reply with quote

Dear Sriram,

Will certainly upload this song soon.

Dear Sharadha,

Nice to read this posting. In fact Shankar-Ganesh have picked up so many tunes from MSV (what was probably not used). One of those songs (that had many MSV touch) was from the film Naan Yen Piranden - Unathu Vizhiyil Enathu Paarvai, great melodious song.

CHEERS
MSV IS MUSIC
VAIDY
rajeshkumar_v

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Class comedy song and funny and apt lyrics by Vaali

See how he addresses Mahadeva.... (referring Shri K.V.Mahadevan)
irenehastings

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A beautiful song with the combination of western and folk, mixed in a nice way.

Eventhough Muthuraman is the hero of the film, but thengai is the hero of this song. Apart from Thengai's 'kularupadis', we cane enjoy Sreekanth's 'seshtaigal' in this song.

totally an enjoyable one.
jeyaramg1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sriram Kannan :

You have picked another gem of the great master. I just simply love..... this song. This is yet another song way way ahead of its time. Compositional beauty of this song is the seamless fusion of Carnatic and Western beats and instruments. I think the Raga used is Mayamalava Gowlai (with as usual sangathis). I wonder how he could think of this composition. Another beauty is the out of the blue guitar interludes...

I have always noticed from the initial days of ARR he is heavily influenced by the master and prob this is one of his first inspirations ... I refer to 'Anda Arabi Kadaloram....from Bombay.

Best Regards
Jeyaram G
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: