"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MSV MESMORISES CHILDREN
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: TORCH BEARERS Reply with quote

Dear Sriram Kannan, Ram, Raj, Venkat,

I would rate you all as the torch bearers of MSVTIMES.COM. I have been throughly impressed by Sriram's writing and see how this generation enjoys the nuances of our Master Creator and it is really a moment of joy for all of us at MSVTIMES.COM for, we have been having a steady stream of visitors hailing from the present generation. Sriram, go ahead & unleash yourself with your impeccable inferences of our Master's creations.

Sriram, I was actually with the EMPERROR for about an hour last Sunday (sorry, I forgot to post this meeting) and made a special mention about you. I even told him that I will be bringing you to his home. He was very happy and said - "Kandippa azhaichundu vaango". Sriram if you ever come to Madras please give me a call. This is a dual invitation from me & as well as the EMPERROR!!! Very Happy

CHEERS
MSV IS MUSIC
VAIDY

Sriram Kannan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a ton, Vaidy Sir!!!!

If this happens for real, it would be the GOLDEN MOMENT of my life...

I take this opportunity to thank my father, "raghavankannan", another member of this forum, who encouraged me to post about my ideas on our EMPEROR's songs. We had an agreement to post their independent ideas about EMPEROR, and he is happy about my posts and feedback.

Thank you Father!!!

Thanks to all MSV Fans!!![/b]

Follow me at http://bibliomaniac-moviefanatic.blogspot.com/
sriramp

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My heart just stopped for a moment. Seeing Sriram in the list to meet MSV Smile .

Anyway,

As a first step, I think children should be taught carnatic/hindustani music; regardless of caste or creed.

MSV's music will then be appreciated and recognized all over the world automatically.

Knowledge in classical music is very important for their intellectual development too.
VaidyMSV & Sriram Lax

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear all

i am shocked at SPM remarks think we have to ," Vidiya vidya cholli tharanum" pola .
this song from Pokkiri Raja - is one of the classics , and how can he forget that + many films , where he worked in AVM , .

one thing i need to mention , about ILAYA RAJA - though he is one (unfortunately ) who was considered competative , and compared to MSV The Great .often

In last week interview in KALAIGnER TV , Ilayaraja catagorcally announced (denounced ) the claim that he only brought gramiya Isai to tamil Film music , is false , and claimed by those who donot know music . in fact he mentioned , KVM , and MSV in many films , who did Gramiya Isai before him .

In fact he added that just because , he opened his innings, with a Gramiya isai , people wrongly thought that he brought that to TFW .
Let us appeciate him .
atleast now , hope people can think sensibly .
madhuraman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Songs composed by MSV- Younger generation Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Vaidy and friends
I WOULD NOT SUBSCRIBE TO THE THEORY OF SELECTIVE AMNESIA. All such persons are afraid of speaking the truth. They do not hesitate to sky rocket lesser mortals even by design holding back the achievements of the genius. Why? They not only know that MSV is harmless but are seriously aware as to how they may be harassed by the socalled music saints. After all sycophants are more concerned of self and would stoop as low as they can only to stay in the good books of some one. They are worse than known criminals. Let us not refer to them as we would inadvertantly be floating their names.
Now to the younger generation's love for music. Children from every specific music affinity get modelled on how we shape them in our ambience. AS A NOSTALGIC REFERENCE I AM REMINDED OF WHAT MY DAUGHTER at her age 8 asked "Appa, why the present day cinema songs do not even compare with the "bad songs of your time?" [She was born in 1975]. My reply was 'please think over' Now she has brought the same effect on her 7 year old daughter who knows some good numbers of MSV. The message is clear People NEED AN EXPOSURE to like anything. Those of our friends in business may please make it a point to play some good MSV songs where customers assemble. Soon it will hold the audience to look for more. A little investment may prove advantageous to "attract" attention and can transcend age barriers.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Navi Mumbai
Jeev

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject: MSV & S.P.Muthuraman Reply with quote

Mellisai Mannar & Director SPM worked together in 7 films.

Oru Kodiyil Iru Malargal (1976)
Thunive Thunai (1976)
Pennai Solli Kuttramillai (1977)
Ranuva Veeran (1981)
Kudumbam Oru Kadambam (1981)
Pokiri Raja (1982)
Ammavum Neeye Appavum Neeye (1985)

"Uppai Thinnavan Thanni Kudippan Thappai Seithavan Thandanai Kollvan"

"Kuduumbam Oru Kadambam Palavannam"

"Kannanin Sannathiyil"

How can SPM forget these songs? SPM also worked (assistant director) with Mellisai Mannar in several films produced by AVM.
vishwas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: "Sirippu varuthu,Sirippu varuthu" Reply with quote

Vanakkam Ellorukkum,

Quite sometime back I had written ,quoting an AIR programme , how seasoned classical musicians like Maharajapuram Santhanam, B rajam Iyer never miss to appreciate MM. Let us give credence to the views of knowledgable ones and ignore others. That led me to this titile.

Incidentally, there was another reason too.

I used to get enchanted singing the small prelude to "kanni venduma" of PAchai Vilakku. The charanam led me casually to another song "Sirippu varuthu,Sirippu varuthu". The same base raga has been applied to totally different situations so effectively, without people ever realizing it probably.

I would like to ask the MMs how they chose the raga for a particular situation, or how they chose the chandams for a particular situation. Can vaidy and CO ., represent my question to the Master and elicit an answer.

regards
-Vishwas
Vatsan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: santhams and raaga Reply with quote

During the occassions I met with MSV, questions pertaining to raagas were raised. His then assistant, even Guna actually joined in. The answer is something we all know and have realised after having lived with MSV's music. raaga may or may not happen. If the tune being set to pre-written lyrics, the weight of the words needs to be translated to a tune, that's all. This is one of aspects of music making where MSV stands tallest despite the lack in his physical stature Smile

Yet a lot rare raagas have happened to him like Bilashkani todi (kuyilAga nAnirendenna, ennai maranthathEn thendralE, oorengum mAppiLLai oorvalam). I would invite 2 each of Ustad Ravishankar, Vilayat Khan, Amir Khan and Pt. Paluskar to match the above mentioned presentation of the raaga. Yet another one, Gopika Vasantham as in iyarkkai ennum iLaya kannI and unnidathhil ennai koduthhEn. As an aside, what do you think of the Shehnai piece in the third interlude of the latter?

With respect to santhams, the Creator alone can answer, not even MSV himself !!!! Consider one of the above numbers that was tuned for pre-written lyrics. The lyrics goes thus....

ennnai maranthathEn thendralE
sendru nee, ennilai solluvAi.......

MSV could have easily scored a nursery rhyme like tune for the above lyrics, but no, what have is a case of the words stretched with undulating, thrilling twists and turns. What is the resultant santham of the tune itself? Does it not give you a feeling that the lyrics actually had lengthy constructs ? That is the illusion MSV is capable of creating time and again and tellingly so. In my humble opinion, such a skill takes birth and thrives with its beloved, MSV.

Ofcourse there are a few scales like Harikambhoji and Karaharapriya that are present within the blood corpuscles of MSV. They flow out through MSV in various shapes and forms, so much so sometimes they do not sound like those raagas at all. raagathhirkkE atharkkuL puthainthu kidakkum thanmaigaLaiyum, athAvathu atharkkE pulappadAtha thanmaigaLai kAttikkodukkum vallamai padaithhavarai raagathhirukkuL adakka mudiyAthu. kAtrukkenna vEli.....gangai veLLam ponthukkuLLE adangi vidAthu.....Infact this is the facet of MSV's musical personality that couldn't be imbibed or understood by most of the theoritical vidhwans. He was faaaaaar too radical for them.
vishwas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your explanation was very lucid. Thanks. I understand things occur to him without pre-meditation on the rAga.

To be frank and do justice to his rare abilities, we should admit he is a genius comparable to Ramanujam (whose conjectures are still being proved)or BS Chandrasekhar whose googlies could not be read easily by or confused the opponent very often

Quote:
Gopika Vasantham as in iyarkkai ennum iLaya kannI and unnidathhil ennai koduthhEn. As an aside, what do you think of the Shehnai piece in the third interlude of the latter?

I have admired many of such pieces. He will take you to a totally different situation through a beautiful interface music, in this case a marriage scene through a Shenai piece -on a happy note- and then bring you back to the original place -narration of the heroine of her desires.

Each of MSV's songs is a well structured -well narrated Essay. Beautiful Prologue (Prelude)-- Substance -(Charanam(building up a case for the subject))- Summary( in the form of ending the charanam or through hummimg -may be -e.g., Chitukurivikkenna kattupadu"). In short he builds a strong case for the lyric in the form of the most apt tune.

It is this structure which embeds the lyric in the mind of the audience for centuries to come.

I am still wondering why nobody is doing a Doctorate thesis on him.

Regards
-Vishwas
P. Sankar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it not give you a feeling that the lyrics actually had lengthy constructs ? That is the illusion MSV is capable of creating time and again and tellingly so.

100% Vatsan Sir.

Song in "Paasamalar", MAYANGUGIRAAL ORU MATHU by P. Shusheela.

The lyric in charanam is very small, "Thozhiligal kathai solli tharavillaiya, Thunivillaiya, Bayam vidavillaya, Naazhigai selvathum ninaivillayya".
That's all. Just for this such a sort lyric, the way our beloved MANNAR has composed is SOMETHING AMAZING. I am just thrilled.

P. Sankar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: