"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KETTUKODI URUMI MELAM - PATTIKAADA PATTANAMA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sriram Kannan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: KETTUKODI URUMI MELAM - PATTIKAADA PATTANAMA Reply with quote

Being the EMPEROR of an ocean that has no bounds, our MD often loves to make both ends meet, their courses flowing along a single line, the mixture tasting nectar. For Shivaji Ganesan, I remember this wonderful song, where our EMPEROR showed us how opposite poles can go hand in hand.

There are numerous songs by our EMPEROR, where the song involves characters from two different cultural backgrounds, and the music represents the same for the characters. My favorite picks are

1) Nallathoru Kudumbam (Thangapathakkam) - Carnatic and Western (Carnatic background for K.R.Vijaya, who is a typical housewife, and Western background for Sivaji, a partying Police Officer)

2) Ulagin Muthal Isai (Thavaputhalvan) - Carnatic and Hindustani (A competitive song, between Carnatic and Hindustani singers, where TMS and PBS take their respective places)

But, this is going to be different, an example of how Western and South Indian folk music was taken by the EMPEROR and analysed in such a way that, he actually interchanged the places of using them, resulting in an amazing jugal-bandhi.

The movie, PATTIKADA PATTANAMA, with Sivaji and Jayalalitha, as the countryside "Mama" and the modernised "Murai Ponnu", proved to be a trend setter. Most of the later period Tamil movies, used this concept very often, only with the actors varying. (Even, Prabhu did one "Uththama Raasa", even taking Sivaji's hair style from this movie). Our EMPEROR took the movie to heights with his songs, exploring end to end in both the sides, "Adi Ennadi Raakkama", holding the flag for the folk, while "Nalvaazthu Naan Solven" reminds us of the Western hippy culture (It will take another two threads to talk about each song, about the mastery of the composition). This song stands in the middle, tying thread between sides.

When TMS starts with "Kettukodi Urumi Melam", the "Urumi" sound approves it, but when the actual song starts, TMS is actually backed up by drums, guitar and claps. The lyrics, about the excellence of folk music, sung by a country guy, but in drums and guitar background. Our EMPEROR steals the show!!!!! The drum and guitar moves slowly for a while, after TMS finishing the line, and LRE starting "We shall meet, at the modern gate, in the morning, evening, night till the dawn", with tabla and "Urumi" melam (The urumi sound can be listened throughout the song when LRE sings )moving in the back. Throughout the pallavi, the lyrics for the lady would be the mocking of Indian music, but tabla and urumi backing throughout, the taps raising and lowering together with the westernized lyric. Is it an indirect message from our EMPEROR, "Don't include music in your cultural fights. Its an ocean, and not restricted by languages...." ?

The first interlude is again an awesome blend, drums and nagaswaram moving in harmony, with the beats marking every corner the nagaswaram goes. The first charanam, starting with TMS, is backed by drums and guitar again, with flutes at the end of every lyric.As the song steps on a different path from "Chandramathiya kaatil vittu paada chollatta, the drum leads the way with guitar moving along the lyric, till the pallavi. But, the song takes a sudden turn here, guitar and tabla pairing this time and moving in a faster pace with mandolin, and LRE starting "Oh my sweety..Oh kudumi uncle..", trumpet finishing every line. Trumpet opens the second interlude with tabla striding along, LRE doing the "la la pa tharapa la la pa tharapa" with them, ended by the folky "Kombu" organ. The tabla walks with LRE again, lyrics about westernization. TMS comes back at "Munnor ellam moodargal alla", drum, guitar and flute taking their original positions throughout the charanam. The song ends with the mixing up of whistle sounds, "da da da" from LRE, the drums and tabla in unison, taking the audience to the next level, from tapping the foot to raise from seat and dance along.

I would like to know if there are any similar songs, where our MD did a musical feast.

Any suggestions/corrections, most welcome.

Thanks and Regards,
Sriram Kannan.

Last edited by Sriram Kannan on Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well narrated about the movie and the situation ! Very Happy

Seems like you have done an extensive research on this song !

Keep it up

This song is a mix of folk with western , beautifully tuned and well orchestrated . I would say, its a trend setting song of the early 70s. It was regulary on the AIR & a compulsory number in all marriages or music programmes . SUch a wide array of instruments , both native and western were used.

For such songs, nobody can challenge LREaswari & it required a genius like TMS to counter a visible threat .
An absolute foot tapper of a song !

And Mellisai Mannar has used the echoing also nicely !

Finally TMS ends the beauty with Sangathiellam !!!

It was a superhit song . An instant hit .

Another song which is a mix of folk and western could be Periya idathu penn song .... Pattanam paartha Maapillaya paarkavandha kili pilley

Cheers
P. Sankar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayalalitha would have played a very ultra-modern girl and Shivaji a typical village man. My God!! How did the thought of using Western instruments for supporting the male voice and folk instruments for the female voice come to MSV which was contradicting? ULTIMATE CREATIVITY. Music had a perfect blending. I still could recall the day when I saw the film in a theatre with the whole public whistling for the songs. Whistling started from the first song itself--AMBIGAYEE, ESWARIYEE..the crowd went mad for the song "ADI ENNADI RAKKAMMA", needless to mention how the crowd reacted to this song "KETTUKODI URUMI MELAM" and that too when Shivaji goes about whistling and dancing towards the end of the song. I remember I gave only Re.1 as the ticket charges for seeing the film in 1981 when it came as second or third release, but the kind of entertainment the film and the songs in particular gave for the audience is beyond comparison. I am told that P.Madhavan's PATTIKADA PATTANAMA(Black and white) was made with a small budget without much publicity, but fetched the Producer, Distributors and Theatre owners a great bonanza.
The film also had a jolly song of P.Susheela.(Muthu chollai)

P. Sankar.
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: THE EMPERROR RULES Reply with quote

Dear Members,

THE EMPEROR SIMPLY RULES OUR HEARTS!!! LIVES THROUGH HIS MUSIC!!!

A Special Note to Sriram Kannan - I am going to meet the Emperor this morning and will certainly tell him about your interest in his music.

CHEERS
MSV IS MUSIC
VAIDY

Sriram Kannan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Balaji Sir... I was thinking about the song from "Periya Edathu Penn" and listening to the same.. As usual, telling about a song of our EMPEROR is a great pleasure and cannot be included in few words. I would like to put another thread for this song too.... Smile

Thanks Vaidy Sir... As told already, these regards go to my father, who sowed this interest in me. As told by my father, both of us fall in the same category. We both developed addiction towards our EMPEROR during our college days. He used to mention how many times he watched movies in theater, just for the songs and BGM. I really miss that experience (But, the ticket rates are not that cheap now, but the movie quality has gone cheap). Very Happy
msvramki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sriram Kannan ( I will address you as Sriram, hereafter !)

Wonderful analysis of KETTUKODI URUMIMELAM.

As you have rightly said how did it strike our EMPEROR to use this
contradictory instruments for a Indian Folk Lyric and Western type lyrics ? Amazing !

We require youngsters like you to tell the world the sort of wonders
our EMPOEROR has created decades back for decades ahead.

Pl continue your contribution. When I met Vaidy this morning, he was mentioning about you and your writing. Really wonderful .

WIth best wishes
Ramki

saradhaa_sn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

டியர் SRIRAM KANNAN

'கேட்டுக்கோடி உறுமி மேளம்' பற்றிய உங்கள் அலசல் மற்றும் ஆய்வு என்னை பிரமிக்க வைக்கிறது. பிரமிப்புக்கு முதற்காரணம் இன்றைய இளம் தலைமுறை ரசிகரிடம் இருந்து இப்படி ஒரு ஆய்வு வெளியாகி இருக்கிறது. மெல்லிசை மாமன்னரின் இசை சாம்ராஜ்யத்தின் மீது உங்களுக்கு பிடிப்பை உண்டாக்கிய உங்கள் தந்தைக்கு முதலில் நன்றி.

என்னுடைய பத்து வயது மகனுக்கு இப்போதே மெல்லிசை மன்னரின் இசை மீது ஈடுபாடும் ஆர்வமும் உண்டாகக்காரணமே நானும் என் கணவரும் சிறு வயது முதலே அவருடைய பாடல்களையும் இசைச்சிறப்பையும் சொல்லி சொல்லி வளர்த்ததினால்தான். அவன் எதிர்காலத்தில் இன்னொரு SREERAM ஆக வருவான்.

நாட்டுப்புற நாயகன் பாடும் வரிகளுக்கு மேல் நாட்டு இசையையும், மேலை நாட்டு நாகரிகத்தில் ஊறித்திளைத்த நாயகியின் வரிகளுக்கு நமது பாரம்பரிய இசைக்கருவிகளையும் பயன்படுத்தியுள்ள மெல்லிசை மன்னரின் அசகாய சூரத்தனத்தை நீங்கள் ஆய்ந்து சொல்லியிருக்கும் விதம் அருமை. ('இது போன்ற எக்ஸ்பெரிமெண்ட்கள் 'யாரோ' ஒரு சிலர் வந்த பிறகுதான் கையாளப்பட்டன' என்று சொல்லிக்கொண்டிருக்கும் உங்கள் தலைமுறையைச் சேர்ந்தவர்களுக்கு உண்மை நிலையைசொல்ல வேண்டியது உங்கள் கடமை).

பாலாஜி அண்ணா சொன்னது போல, இப்பாடலை எல்.ஆர்.ஈஸ்வரியைத்தவிர வேறு யார் இவ்வளவு பொருத்தமாகப் பாட முடியும். அதிலும் அந்த 'குடுமி அங்கிள்' என்ற வார்த்தையை, படம் முழுக்க ஜெயலலிதா உச்சரித்திருப்பது போலவே, இப்பாடலில் ஈஸ்வரி உச்சரிப்பது அருமை.

மகிழ்ச்சி தரும் விஷயங்கள்:
1. இப்படத்தை மக்கள் ஏற்றுக்கொண்டு மிகப்பெரிய வெற்றிப்படமாக்கினார்கள்.

2. இப்படத்தின் பாடல்கள் அனைத்தும் மிகப்பெரிய வெற்றியைக் கண்டன. அதிலும் 'என்னடி ராக்கம்மா' அந்த வருடத்தின் 'SONG OF THE YEAR-1972' ஆனது.

3. இன்றைக்கும் இப்படம் திரையிடும் இடங்கள் எல்லாம் திருவிழா கோலம் காண்கின்றன. புதிதாக திரையிடும் படத்தின் அளவுக்கு கூட்டம் திரள்கின்றன.

4. நடிகர் திலகம், கலைச்செல்வி, மெல்லிசை மாமன்னர், கவியரசர், பி. மாதவன், பி.என்.சுந்தரம், டி.எம்.எஸ், சுசீலா, ஈஸ்வரி மற்றும் நூற்றுக்கணக்கான தொழில் நுட்ப வல்லுனர்களின் உழைப்பு வீண் போகவில்லை.

தொடருங்கள் உங்கள் ஆய்வுப்பணியை... காத்திருக்கிறோம் நாங்கள்....

அன்புடன் சாரூ....
irenehastings

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sriram,

wonderful write up about 'ketuukodi urumi melam' from pattikaadaa pattanamaa, followed by saradha's nerration in tamil.

this is one of the movies which will tempt us to see repeated number of times, even it is in black & white.

nice post and we expect more such writings from you.
Ram

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sriram,

Great analysis on this Amazing song! More pls...
ramasamysujatha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sriram,

Great Observation and perfect analysis. Every one who sees this song in theatre...Shivaji's costume, action, dance and Jayalalitha's dress and dance only dominated the show along with the music. Even though people hums this sons, Shivaji and Jaya only are coming to our brain. Especially the Shivaji's whistling and dancing by lifting one leg only is remebered by me. But your analysis made me to think in other angle...Orchestration of MSV. Brilliant analysis. Your analysis made me to see this song once again. Once Again. Excellent Analysis!!!

RamasamySujatha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: