"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Music, Melody , Magic……….Mystery………..Mastery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeyaramg1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Music, Melody , Magic……….Mystery………..Mastery Reply with quote

Music can be mellifluous, enjoyable or daunting. Our master’s music we all know is all of these. Composing style and outcome of our master is beyond all these . Let’s look at these songs across decades :

1. Mugathil Mugam Parkalam……Viral Nagathil……. Probably a dance duet for Sivaji from Thanga Padumai….. sung by the great TMS and MLV (Composing theme : Classical Karnatic with dance Jathis)
2. Thulli Thirintha Penn Onru…… A soft romancing solo for Gemini Ganesh from Kathirunda Kangal…sung by melodious PBS (Composing theme : Soft melody with Ghazal touches )
3. Inda Mandrathil Oodi varum… Situation for brother / sister relationship from Policekaran Magal…. Sung by PBS and versatile Janaki
(Composing theme : Soft melody )
4. Maalai Soodum Mananaal….Nichaya Thamboolam…. Song for Sivaji and ??...soulful rendition by PS joined by none other than the Master at the end. (Composing theme: Soulful Melody with progressions )
5. KannPona Pokkile Kaal Pogalama…. A love pathos for MGR from Panam Padaithavan… sung by TMS (Composing theme : Western style with Opera singing interludes )
6. Athikai Kaai Kaai…Bale Pandiya … Two couples duet interlaced nicely for a romantic night ..Sung by TMS, PSusheela, PBS, Jamuna Rani
(Composing theme : Apt melody for the words )
7. Nilave Nee Saatchi……..Same titled movie…. 2 diff solos soulfully rendered by PS and SPB (Composing theme : Semi classical )
8. Oru Tharam Ore Tharam…… Sumathi En Sundari….. A romantic duet for Sivaji and Jayalalitha ….Sung nicely by TMS and PS
(Composing theme : Melody juxtaposed on jazzy beats ) (esp note the Charanam when you listen next time)
9. Sontham Eppothum Thodarkadaithan….. Praptham…. A leisurely sung duet for Sivaji….by TMS & PS (Composing theme : Melody with clear steps ore progression on leisurely beats.) (Listen to the out of the blue prelude and interludes)….(Vellai Pura Onru Kaiyil …. PudhuKavithai film duet is a complete inspiration from this)
10. IsaiKettal Puvi Asaithadum…. ThavaPuthalvan…. Literally an awakening song sung by Sivaji for KR Vijaya…sung forcefully by TMS
(Composing theme : Classical style , customized to perfect suit the situation )
11. Maduraiyil Parantha Meen Kodiyai…. Poova Thalaya.. A dream (??) solo for Gemini…. Sung carefully by TMS for Gemini (Composing theme : Semi Classical style )
12. Kannan Vandhan Kannan Vandhan…..Ramu….a poignant situation for Gemini and the little boy…Sung by TMS and the great Seerkazhi (Composing theme : More of a bhajan base with intricate melodies interwoven esp at high pitches) (Note the first interlude of amazing Violin mazhai next time)
13. Azhagenum Oviam Inge…. Oorukku Uzhaippvan…. A romantic duet for MGR and Latha??...Sung by KJY and PS (Composing theme : Melody with sangathis and pitch made for KJY)
14. Thane Thakkul Rasikkinral…. Perum Pugalum …. A simple yet beautiful solo for Muthuraman singing for his conceived wife … Sung by KJY (Composing theme : Melody with sangathis and pitch made for KJY)
15. Mangalam Thandhal…Malargal Thandhal… Thenum Paalum… Sung by PS and Janaki ?? (Composing theme : Melody made for a competing duos singing together ??)
16. Chithirai Madam Pournami Neram….. Raman Ethanai Ramanadi…A melody riot for a train song situation ...Sung perfectly by PS
(Composing theme : Intricate Melody (esp in Charanam) fitting for the train beat )…..
(this master piece has been analyzed more in detail by our great friend Mr Sampath already )
17. Varuvan Vadivelan….Same titled movie …. A bhakthi dance situation ….Sung by ‘(swara)’ Vani Jayaram (Composing theme : Classical dance with swara malai)
18. Poo Manakkum Poonkuzhali…..RathaPasam…. Soulful rendition by SPB (Composing theme : Hindustani and Ghazal style)
19. Manulagil Irundhu Devan….. Punitha Anthoniyaar… A Christian devotional song … sung expressively by ‘(swara)’ Vani Jayaram
(Composing theme : Classical Melody dovetailed on Christian song style )
20. Kangal Sonnathu Por Thodukka… Yudha Kandam…. A forceful rendition by VJ and Rajkumar Bharathi
(Composing theme : Hindustani style melody traversing out of bounds along the way )and of course seamlessly melded back by the master …as usual

Look at these songs over a span of nearly 30 years ( late 50s to late 80s)…for completely divergent situations , different characters different actors ….Made in different musical styles and themes from Carnatic classical to Hindustani to Semi classical to Ghazal to Western….I have really NOT touched on different beats or Thalam aspect , which I am really not aware of.

Now the magic..All these songs over a span of 30 years is on the Ragam Kalyani…Well I don’t think this can be just brushed aside as Kalyani scale…. One has to have more than a lifetime to understand these melodies and to assimilate the fact all these are from one single immortal musical soul ….the Greatest Mellisai Mannar..

But how it happens ? It’s a complete mastety , which remains a mystery to all of us.
s.r.sankaranarayanan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAYARAM,

ARTICLE!

SIMPLY DHOOL!

S.R.SANKARANARAYANAN
madhuraman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: Articles &Writings by Fans -Music, Mlody....... Reply with quote

Dear Mr Jayaram,
You are as much amazing as MSV himself .I certainly mean it, for to bring the elixir of one single chord in a huge rope like MSV is no mean feat, especially pinpointing only "Kalyani" based pieces. Absolutely fantastic in bringing out the history of the mystery with such a mastery. Though I have been following MSV's grandeur, the posting by you is a grand revealation and your observation that to unravel MSV's musical genius, ONE LIFETIME MAY NOT SUFFICE is a statementof truth in its very embodiment. I profusely thank you for this excellent compilation.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Navi Mumbai
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: ARRIVED WITH A BANG!!! Reply with quote

Dear Jayram,

A great posting indeed that educated me in every way. The problem is that quality writers like you are not as frequent visitors as we wish you to be. Great to see you with a big bang and hope to see you with such wonderful pearls often. Please throw more light on such happenings Jayram!!!

CHEERS
MSV IS MUSIC
VAIDY

Ram

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Jayaram,

What a great article and compilation!!! Out standing !!!

As Vaidy mentioned, please be a regular visitor here and throw your thoughts to our club !

Hats-off !!!

saradhaa_sn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

டியர் ஜெயராம்...

ஆகா அருமை... அருமை....

எங்களை எங்கேயோ கொண்டு போயிட்டீங்க. நீங்கள் ஒவ்வொரு பாடலையும் விவரித்திருக்கும் விதம் அருமை. தொடர்ந்து உங்கள் திறமையைக் காட்டுங்கள். நம் மெல்லிசை மன்னர் ஒரு பெருங்கடல். அதில் முத்துக்கள் எடுக்க எடுக்க வந்துகொண்டேயிருக்கும்.

(அது சரி... இதென்னங்க அநியாயம்?. பிப்ரவரி மாதம் சேர்ந்த நீங்கள் இதுவரை தந்திருக்கும் பதிவுகள் ஐந்தே ஐந்து. ஏன் இப்படி?. நிறைய எழுதுங்கள். படிக்க காத்திருக்கிறோம்).
msvramki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

அன்புள்ள ஜெயராம்,

மிக அருமையான பதிவு !

வாரம் இது போன்ற போஸ்டிங், ஒன்றாவது தேவை உங்களிடமிருந்து ! தவறாவது தருவீர்களா ? எம்.எஸ்.வி ரசிகர் குடும்பததை மகிழ்விப்பீர்களா ?

ராம்கி.

Last edited by msvramki on Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
S.SAMPAT

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Jayaram,

What a wonderful compilation. Excellent. Atlast you have started posting!!! And what a posting it is. Please enlighten us with such writings quite often. PLEASE. PLEASE.

Request to MR.SRS. Sir, each one of us in the forum knows your potential. We request you to come out with your posting which would be educative, informative and more than that THOUGHT PROVOKING. Please SRS.

What a composition is that "Manulagil Irundhu Devan" . Another addition to your list is wonderful song"PAAR MAGALAE PAAR". What a hidden Kalyani scale it is!!!

Jayaram once again congrats. Keep posting (s)

With love
Samapt
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. G.Jayaram

Its really a wonderful analysis . God ! You had kept the suspense until last stage and finally unfolded KALYANI ! Honestly, I was so invovled with your writing that I forgot the basics. I have not seen any composer use Kalyani to give so much variety as you highlighted song by song . Each song is class apart / unique & tune set for different situations almost dissimilar to the past .
Pls clarify me whether PAVALAR PADIYA PUDHUMAI PENNAI fm Mohd. Bin Tuqlaq is also Kalyani ? If yes, then its another beauty from the mesmerizing Master ! The song was set to celebrate the birthday of Manorama who plays the daughter of a Freedom fighter and who becomes a powerful leader I think.

What a genius MSV is .

Pls write more about his creations .
VaidyMSV & Sriram Lax

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jai jayaram

we need yr write ups as often as possible

ur writting as magic as masters music

thanks
irenehastings

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is really a wonderful job mr . Jeyaram.

as requested by all, please try to write more like this.
jeyaramg1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear All,

I am thouroughly encouraged by all great rasikas response, also more ashamed since I have not been able to write for months together . This is intended to break the silence and hopeful of continuing more...

I am pretty sure there are lot more songs of our master set in Kalyani, quite a few with colorful variations...List is likely to go long..

Can I invite the forum citizens to explore the Tala nuances of these melodies, which I am unable to do ? It will make the analysis more complete. (Sampat sir, help please)

-Jeyaram G
raghavan vasudevan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Jeyam

You have almost done a PHD on MSV compositions. I may add one more to the list.

Song: Paduvore ..... padalam sung by TMS from the film Kannan En Kadalan.

Specialitity: Tabla is the main rhytham accompanying the piano. Normally in a song where piano is used the talam is either drums, congo drums. But in this it is tabla.

This experiment has not been used/thoiught of by great Hindi music directors s who have used western instruments extensively in their compositions like OP Nayar, Shankar Jaikishan, Laxmikanth Pyerelal, even RD Burman.

The Piano runs in this song throughout.

vasudevan
baroque

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! What a parade of sparkling compositions! Many of them are my favorites, some of them I quite often indulge. Few of them I enjoyed while reading the article, nice job!
Now I have the craving for the visuals I have never seen.
Finally I saw 'nee yenna sonnalum kavithai...' in a poor quality VHS, I absolutely love that song.
May be if I am lucky, I will get DVDs.
Indeed a great write up from a musically savvy fan! thanks, Vinatha.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: