"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

P.Susheela

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Singers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhuraman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: P.Susheela Reply with quote

Dear Friends,
Eversince I could perceieve th qualiy of TFM, I have been influenced by the fineness of PS's song rendition. A very interesting abilty of hers is to make us feel that she is a native singer be it Tamil, Kannada or Malayalam . One may brush it aside as a basic requirement for a singer. But, what should hold our attention is her skill of voice-matching for the artiste on screen. Now, I am obliged to figure out why I say so. Till the late 1980s TF heroines used dub dialogues in their voices and could readily reach the audience as Savitri, Saroja devi , KR Vijaya, Jayalalitha and so on. Therefore MDs had to select a suitable singer and the singer had to match the occasion. As evidence of my perception, I list a few songs wherein we feel the Screen artiste when PS renders the song. All I try to recall is that the degree of match between PS and other TF heroines has been perhaps the highest, while withmost other female singers we readily feel the singer. Although it is a gift of God, to align so well with any heroine can not be just accidental. Now look at these lines.
Sonnadhu nee thaana sol sol [ Devika]
Andhiyil mayangi vizhum [ '' '' '' ]
Avarillamal enakku veru yaradaa kanna [Savitri]
Paarvaiyilae padam pudichaan [Savitri]
Enna paada thonrum [Saroja devi]
Aasaiyil vilaindha madhulam kanio [Saroja devi]
Nilavae unnai arivaen [Jayalakitha]
Kadhai alandha nenjamae[ '' '' '' ]
SAMSARA KAPPAL KONJAM POGATTUM NERAE [Jayalalitha]
Ilamai ellam verum kanavumayam [Sowcar Janaki]
Naam pazhagi vandhom sila kaalam[ '' '' '' '' ]
Anubavam budhumai [Rajasree] DELIBERATELY "BUDUMAI"
Idai melindhaal indhappavai [Kanchana]
Nalla nalla padhaiyil pogachonnan[ '' '' ]
Innoruthi udal eduthu .. [K R Vijaya]
UNDHAN VEEDU THAEDI VANDHADHU [KR Vijaya] and so on.

Honestly the list would be inconclusive . I have chosen lines not from the pallavi for 2 reasons. 1. the lines simply match with those artistes making the listener accept the song as from the artiste. 2. To render a voice match in a lead line may be easy but to sustain it deep into a song is a feat. The best part of the issue is, we know it is PS and we see only the screen artiste and not PS. In the song ENNA PORUTHTHAM , the artistes indulge in verbal clash through the song [in their own voice] and when PS takes over we can not notice any voice jump.
That she has sustained it across generations is a blessing to us through that divine gift she has. What a marvellous singer she is. I dedicate this 100th posting of mine to P.Susheela - a treasure to film songs transcending language barriers. May God bless her with all that is Good.

Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Navi Mumbai
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: P. SUSHEELA - A CLASS APART IN EVERY WAY Reply with quote

Dear Prof. Raman,

I would stand by every alphabet of your posting on P. Susheela. What a versatile singer she was. In fact I would go one step further and say that if at all we remember every heroine of TFW of yester years, then full credit goes to PS for she is the one who keeps all of them alive & kicking in our memory.

Few months ago when Dr. Bala Murali Krishna wanted to see MSV who was canvelescing at home after the bye-pass surgery, MSV wanted me to pick him up (it's unbeliveable to recall that day's evening as Visweshwaran uncle came along with me to Dr. BMK's residence) that evening the duo started discussing about P. Susheela and Dr. BMK fondly recalled this event - PS came to AIR Vizag when I was station in-charge and she rendered a classical song during a voice test. I was so impressed with her voice and I suggested to her that she has a mesmorising voice that will suit the film world and that's how she came into film music. What happened later is History. Dr. BMK went on to add that during the recording of Kalai Koil - Thanga Ratham Vandhadhu, Dr. BMK wanted to have another re-take and when MSV asked him why, Dr. BMK said, enakkennamo PS ennai vida nalla padi irukkannu thondrathu and to this MSV said, no need for another take and you have both excelled in every way. A classy example for how fellow singers respected each other in spite of PS pitted against a giant called DR. BMK!!!!

During our Legend's hospitalisation, one day I received an SOS call to meet him at once. I rushed to Ramachandra Hospital and MSV warmly welcomed me and said, PS is being honoured by a Musical Association in Vizag and that I need to immediately send in my blessings for the fucntion. He said, "thambi ennoda most favourite singerpa ava, ennaley poga mudialey athan intha message anupa solren. I was so moved by the gesture and the love & affection he has for PS. I sent the message by courier and 3 days later, the Secretary of that Sabha called and thanked me profusedly for sending that message on time and you know why......?

Not only did they read out the message (they even translated that message in telugu) but the same Secretary also happened to be one of the biggest rasikas of our Legend MSV!!!

Cheers
MSV IS MUSIC
VAIDY

msvramki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

நூறைத் தொட்ட உங்களுக்கு வாழ்த்துக்கள்.
விரைவில் ஆயிரம் காணவேண்டும்.
ராம்கி.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Singers All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: