"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PON ONDRU KANDAEN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S.SAMPAT

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: PON ONDRU KANDAEN Reply with quote

“SALUTATIONS TO THE LOTUS FEET OF THE MASTER"

1. The song is based in Brindhavana Saranga
2. The scale is Eb.
3. The chords used are Eb/Bb/ Db. Bb and Db are used when Ni2 and Ni1 are employed respectively
4. The Rhythm is 3/4.
5. The specialty of the songs is no percussion instrument is used for the Prelude and the Pallavi which is very unique.
6. Judicial use of Tabla Dadra. Dadra is the patterns played on Tabla for ¾ and 6/8 timings

Prelude:

The prelude starts with Ni2 which is the jeeva swara of this raga. The first 5 phrases are

Ni2 Sa Ri2 / Sa Ni1 Pa Ma1 Ri2 Sa/ Ni2.. / Sa Ni2 Ni1/ Pa Ni2 Sa

After the first Phrase on Sa, Eb chord is used with strumming of Eb note on Sa. And on the 3rd phrase on Ni2, Bb chord is used with strumming of Bb note on Ni2. On the fourth phrase on Ni1, Chord Db is used.

After this, Chords Eb and Bb are played followed with musical ending phrase ‘ Pa Ma1 Ri2 Ni2 Sa’

Pallavi :

TMS majestically starts the pallavi “Pon Ondru Kandaen, Penn Anghu Illai.. En Nendru Naan Sollalaakumaa?”

After this pallavi comes a melodic phrase which really mesmerized my entire self. Pollarichu poochu Sir.

The phrase is “ Pa Sa Ga2 Pa Ma1 Ri2 Ni “ on the violin. See the judicial use of Andhara Gandharam. Tears rolled out my cheek. Immediately I called Vaidy and shared my experience. This melting phrase comes throughout the song after this melody of the pallavi. Sheer Brilliance. Please watch out for this phrase and enjoy.

After PBS answer back melody, the same prelude melody is repeated on flute.

PBS starts melody. What a voice!! What a word play of Kannadasan in “En Nendru “ and “Yaaen endru”!!

Interlude:

Interlude includes the swara Dha 2 also. Tabla is introduced for the first time only in this interlude. Flute, violin and mandolin are used in the interlude.

Charanam:

TMS and PBS both spell out the characters of the women they had seen. Dha 2 is used in the charanam.

What I enjoyed and admired the most is the use of Tabla.
When TMS expresses the character of Rajasulochana , Tabla is played as usual in Tisra Nadai (3/4 timing) but when PBS tells the character of Savithiri, Gumki is expressively used on Tabla to paint the color of Karunai Rasa. (Kindly listen to Umayalpuram Sivaraman Sir’s The Garland of Rhythm wherein Sivaraman Sir played only Gumki in Rupaka Tala to depict Karunai Rasa ).

BEWARE!!! DO NOT MISS THIS MELLIFLOUS EMPLOYMENT OF TABLA.

What a wonderful way the Tabla is handled for the phrases “Thulivarum Velli neela and Thuvanduvidum Kodi Idayal”! and What sangathis.

Next comes the same interlude followed by the Charanam 2.

In Charanam 2, each of them speaks about his own attitude and motive of the entire Situation. Now when PBS sings out Balaji’s cunning attitude and motive, TABLA NO LONGER DEPICTS KARUNAI RASA.

WHAT AN AESTHETICS!!!!

MSV is truly the CELESTIAL MUSICAL BRAIN SENT BY THE ALMIGHTY
FOR MELLISAI AND NALLISAI.

MSV made the Tabla to express the characters and the storyline. What more could a MD give to the audience?

Last but not the least what a wonderful dual singing by the great TMS and PBS. How they embellish the song? It is truly heavenly. And what a lyrics by The great Kannadaasan giving the entire story line in single song.

SRS,NVS and Balaji, Kindly explore the beauty of the lyrics for the benefit
of the listeners.

Just I have expressed my outpourings on listening to this marvel. If any other nuances I missed out which could enhance the listening pleasure , Kindly pardon me and enlighten those missed ones.

With love
Sampat
s.r.sankaranarayanan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S.R.SANKARANARAYANAN
Baskar CS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sampath sir,

this is the song i enjoy while singing when i go on drive
once TMS told vamanan a writer that they are mannnangu
while enjoying this song
simple tamil ,ordinary language ,unassuming music ,memorable song for life
baskar
tvvraghavan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Shehnai in the interlude !!! Reply with quote

Dear Sampath Uncle,
You have chosen a song that can never be perceived by any normal being and can only be created by a Superior soul in a higher plane.... You are very true !! Almighty has sent Him with an assignment to define and create Mellisai for the benefit of the Human race.

Your note on the Tabla Gumkhi is such an astonishing fact that was used by our Master long way back before 4 decades without any extensive research on percussions.. What a Transcendental spontaenity !!!!

We are very greatful to you for making us realise all these intricacies that is increasing our Love for the Master and His music !!! THANKS A LOT !!!

One disheartening fact is that the original version of this song is not available in the radio and cassette versions....

In my humble opinion the best part of the song is the Shehnai in the interlude that follows the Guitar notes and is followed by the sitar notes that is available in the common version of this song !!!! I would let Ram upload the same immediately.

Please listen to the same....IT IS AWESOME !!!

Other Brindhavana Saranga wonders from our Master are :

1. Poovarayum Poongodiye from Idhayathil Nee
2. Thankachi Chinna Ponnu from Karuppu Panam which is a Qawali type song with lot of clap and Sarangi....Amazing song !!

Others can add to the list.....

Please make us realise the intricacies of the other Gems as well so that our Love ,passion and affection to the Master and His music will increase !!!!

I heard from SRS that "Vasanthi" is one of your fav raagas and that you have composed a song....Amazing uncle...

Can you please give us a write up on "SUGAMAANA SINDHANAYIL..." from TAXI DRIVER !!!!! Awaiting Eagerly ....

MSV Rules !!!

Venkat
Ram

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great song and wonderful analysis, dear Sampath!

As you said Judicial use of Tabla is one thing I had always admired. See the amazing Application of this Raaga!

Please come-up with more and more songs like this!

irenehastings

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Shehnai in the interlude !!! Reply with quote

tvvraghavan wrote:
In my humble opinion the best part of the song is the Shehnai in the interlude that follows the Guitar notes and is followed by the sitar notes that is available in the common version of this song !!!! I would let Ram upload the same immediately.

but unfortunately, we can enjoy this 'shehnoy' part only when we are watching the movie or the clipping. This wonderful part was edited (missing) in venyle records... (kodumai)...

When we are watching many songs of MSV sir, there are more preludes and interludes, which we cant able to hear in records and cassettes, due to this editing (to accomodate the song within a specified time)
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
S.SAMPAT

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear All,

Quote:
The phrase is “ Pa Sa Ga2 Pa Ma1 Ri2 Ni “ on the violin. See the judicial use of Andhara Gandharam.

Read it as "Pa Ni2 Ri2 Pa Ma1 Ri2 Ni2" . Though Ri 2 has the slightest shade of Antara Gandharam, it is predominantly Ri2.

I APOLOGISE FOR THE GRAVE MISTAKE I COMMITTED. I BOW DOWN TO THE FANS OF MSV WORLD OVER FOR THIS SIN. KINDLY EXCUSE ME.

I AM VERY MUCH THANKFUL TO MY DAUGHTER HARSHITHA WHO POINTED OUT THIS MISTAKE .
ONCE AGAIN I PLEAD TO PARDON ME.

SORRY SORRY SORRY

WITH LOVE
SAMPAT
irenehastings

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sampath

You no need to apologise this much for your small mistake, which came just without your knowledge.

In fact many of us do not know much about any swaras and ragas, but enjoying MSV sir's wonderful compositions.

But, glad to see that you have a musical family.
madhuraman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Pon onru kandaen Reply with quote

Dear Mr Sampat,
Being a true fan of MSV, you are humilty personified. While discussing the composition in depth, you have inadvertently slipped some where. I tAKE IT AS A GENUINE TRIBUTE TO MSV. Had it not been for your daughter, it would certainly have escaped your notice and perhaps saved you of this agony. What I meant as a tribute to MM is, even the immaculate analysts of your calibre are driven to pursue MSV's dexterity and rapid nuances before you get drowned in a new charm. It is the rapidity of the bewildering transition in songs, to totally unconventional approaches at intricate spots that make MSV a class unknown before. Logic politely reminds us that he is the blessed child of the Almighty donated to us to enjoy quality. All of us know that, except for Music, MSV is a child every inch -harming none ever. What a noble soul. So Mr.Sampat, you need not tender apologies to any one, more so when a slip is from oversight [or mute hearing]. We feel disturbed if people of your versatility suffer such agony. We look forward such lofty contribution to enthuse us to understand more of intricacies.
MayGod bless you.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Navi Mumbai.
msvramki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[color=darkblue]அன்புள்ள சம்பத்

அருமையான பாடலை அற்புதமாக அலசிவிட்டு, சிறு ( அதுவும் என் போன்ற இசை (Technical) அறிவற்றவர்களுக்கு
புரியாத) பிசகு குறித்து வருந்துவதும் புலம்புவதும் நியாயமா ?
color]
வருத்தம் விடுத்து வழக்கம்போல் பணி தொடருக ! உம் பணி
இசை உலகிற்கு ஒரு மணி (முத்து ) !

மன்னரின் இமாலயச் சாதனைகளை இவ்வுலகம் உணர வைக்க
எழுதுக !!

அன்புடன் ராம்கி[/

S.SAMPAT

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear M/s Irenehastings, Prof Raman and Ramki Sir,

Thank you very much for the love and affection you showered on me. Ramki Sir how are you? Why no posting for long? Pls do write.

Once again I thank u all very much.

With Love
Sampat
Srinivass NV

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sampat,
Sorry for my belated response. I am recovering from a stretch of illness and hence I could not follow the happenings in the forum for sometime.

One of the most melodious master-pieces! Excellent runthrough as ever. I feel, on this occasion, Kaviyarasar has written for the Tune (just my perception).

I wish, at a later point of time, I am able to take up the Lyrics for exploration as you have suggested.

With Love
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sampathji,

I will call it a pick of the week ! What a song ! Structured in slow rhythm &the flute after the palavi…. All amazing work.
You know, its my Father’s favourite song as I used to hear regularly during my childhood days ! ( Obvious. He was a big fan of Nadigar Thilagam )
While both TMS & PBS compete on even grounds, TMS holds fort when he goes high pitch for Nee indri naan illai ….naan indri nee illaye
The singers play their part perfectly to the stars NT & Balajee . For NT, majestic voice of TMS aptly fits while for Balajee, a more softer & melody king PBS charms .
The magnificent Masters MSV-TKR , the great success story of the 60s . Just imagine what could have happened if they had worked together for another 2 years atleast. More noof 40 movies atleast & more wonderful songs.
I consider the duo special because of the advantages of combined work….One must have focused on tune & another on orchestration …..

Thanks a lot for the wonderful pick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: