"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VIZHIYE KADAI YEZHUDU

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rsudarsanl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: VIZHIYE KADAI YEZHUDU Reply with quote

I am a fan(atic) of the MSV masterpiece Vizhiye Kadhai yezhudu in Urimaikkural. The lyric is so unique and the song is so melodious.
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makkal Thilagam’s movies always had a dream song. This started once he firmly established himself as a leading hero ( from naadodee mannan ….. kannil vandhu minnal pol kaanudhey from Jikki and TMS ) and this dream song concept was an unsaid agenda even up to Madhurai meeta sundara pandiyan …….. countless number of dream songs in every MGR movie ……Seldom it will be the heroene who dreams ! while MGR will follow the path of a righteous citizen, fighting for justice and a champion of poor etc….

Another funny aspect is where there are 2 heroenes, only one gets the golden opportunity of his lover and other one invariably becomes an adopted sister for Makkal thilagam after the dream sequence …….while she believes that MGR is in love ….MG will counter by politely saying that Naan unnai eppodhum en thangachiyaa dhaan nenaichen !!..... I think the only 2 exceptions were Madurai veeran and Ulagam suttrum vaaliban where he had 2 pairs for the Rajoo character !

Adding more humour to this…the poor second heroene will also reconcile herself immediately and will start calling him Anna !!!!

In other words, the second character despite her disappointment …will never feel bad about MGR but will continue to admire him !!!

The dream songs are not the normal ones……9 out of 10 times, the pair will be in a royal attire ….filled with stars, planets, colorful and huge sets were the order of the day…..

There are many such dream sequences which have become super hits but IMO, its VIZIYAY KADHAI EZUDHU …tops the list of MGR dream songs ….. SIMPLY FOR THE EXTRAORDINARY MELODY ….
In cricketing parlance, I will compare this song with G.R.Vishvanath's late cut...so special !

It was pleasant surprise for KJY when MGR called him one fine morning asking him to sing

Its Lata’s turn to dream about MGR with all the colours , huge glittering sets and despite his advancing age, MGR’s personality was ok but the face had lost its youth and charm ( must be in the 60s ! )

With lovely strings usage to commence , MSV applies his customary melody and improvisation of words with telling effect …..

Viziyay kathai ezudhu……. Starts like a virutham …….kaneeril …..ezudhadhey………

Manjal vaanam ( from here , there will be nice bangoos support , cellos and piano ) thendral Saatchi unakkagavay naan vaazgiren ……..

There will be a brief pause here …followed by PS …..manjal vaanam thendral Saatchi……

And it’s a lovely support by PS !

MSV is a master of improvisation and no body can deny this ………

What he does now is he repeats the whole viziyay kadhai ezudhu again …..with fine bit of improvisation with subtle changes in the rhythm……. Like KJY ….after the words…kathai ezudhuuuuuu……. With a short gap….he will sing ….Kaneerilllll….ezudhaadhey… !!!

Vow ….that’s what MSV’s music is all about !!!!!

This had been the composing pattern of Mellisai Mannar for ages

The song actually is very lengthy … especially the second interludes ( normally being shown in tv ) were edited by Chennai vanoli nilayam always and one could hear the cut short version only……

Such was the magical touch of MGR that KJY’s popularity ratings went beyond imagination…… he was already a craze in Chennai after the splendid success of DEIVAM THANDHA VEEDU….but this song took him to higher echelons straight away and what followed was a series of songs like Adhisaya ragam, manaivi amaivadhellam, Thangathil mugam eduthu , etc etc….

Hold your breath ……You all will be shocked to hear that this was a Sridhar movie ! and yes it had full of MGR stamp firmly imprinted on it ….poor Sridhar had little to do anything…. Also this movie is a lift from a telugu movie I presume because the dressing style of MGR will be like that

This movie was released in 1974 ! and the melody still intact ! another silken touch of msv , alive even today …..and forms part of Makkal thilagam’s all time musical hits….
There is nothing great to mention about the movie except that it was a routine MG movie …challenging injustice and fighting for poor ….. I wonder how he was so successful despite the routine themes getting repeated time and again …..

The Sridhar MGR combo didn’t end here. He did another movie Meenava nanban ….I wonder what compulsions made Sridhar to associate with MGR as he must have had little scope to present his style….may be the race for survival must have made him to associate with MGR…

Here is the link for Viziyay kadhai ezudhu and other songs from Urimai kural

http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0000767.html

There are other songs as well like : Kalyana valaiosai kondu ( tms and ps )

Nethu poothalay ( another routine eve teasing song of MGR )

Ponna porandha ( for the front benchers )

Was MGR , the pioneer of dream songs ?!
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Songs on msvtimes.com Reply with quote

Dear Ms. Sharadha and all Club Members,

WISH YOU ALL A VERY HAPPY PONGAL!

What you have said about incomplete song braodcast on All India Radio is true. In fact it is in this context the Corecrew of msvtimes.com have united together to give you all the very best & rare of songs on our site. If you listen to these songs from our site, most of them would be from original movie tracks. We wanted to keep the authenticity to such an extent possible, we have even included some dialogue preludes into some songs! We hope to bring you more of our Masters creations in the days to come. Unitl then......... what next............ stay connected than, vere enna!!!
Cheers
vaidy
Venugopalan Soundararajan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Gramaphone Records. Reply with quote

Dear Balaji / Saradha / Vaidy,

As Saradha has explained above, the editing was not done by AIR. In those days, the songs were on Gramaphone Records. The common Records were of 3 minutes duration and that’s the reason they carried the edited version and AIR used to mostly play these records to save on time. However, there used to be another Record which was “As In Sound Track” carrying the entire song as it appears in the film. Very rarely these Records used to be played on the Radio.

In fact, lengthy songs (e.g. “Vaarayo Thozhi” from “Paasa Malar”, “Padaithane Padaithane” from “Nichaya Thamboolam”, “Athikkay Kaay Kaay” from “Bale Pandiya”, “Anru Oomaip Pennallo” from “Paarthal Pasi Theerum”, “Aval Parandhu Ponale” from “Paar Magale Paar”, “Kelvi Pirandhadu Anru” from “Pachai Vilakku”, “Azhagiya Thamizh Magal Ival” from “Rikshakaran” – these are only few examples), used to come as double side Records (one half of the song on one side and the other on the reverse side) and that’s the reason, there will be a few seconds gap after one side gets over, for the Radio Station to reverse the record and play the other side.

There was also LP (Long Playing) Records, which used to be of 45 mts duration and carried many songs in them.

This may come as some interesting information for the current generation.

Bye,
Venu Soundar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Song of the Week! Reply with quote

Being the “Pongal Thirunal” week, my pick of the week would be “NAALAM NAALAM THIRUNALAM” from “Kaadalikka Neramillai”. As you all may know, this is one of the favourites of the Master himself. What a composition? Wow.

The song is a fast paced one the beginning and slows down a bit in the middle. It starts with a wonderful Mandoline piece with beautiful blending of Violins. Throughout the song, it is the predominance of Mandolin and Violins, with Guitar & Flute playing the support. At the end of each interlude, there will be a terrific bit of Tabla.

As you know, in MSV’s songs the first line of the stanzas will be sung twice and the ending of the line will be totally different. Even in many of the songs, the ending word of the first line will be sung in a totally different way every time (e.g. in “Yaar Yaar Yaar Aval Yaaro”, from “Paasa Malar”, the ending “Yaaro” will be so differently sung each time – only the Master is capable of this – this song is only an example, there are countless such songs).

Similarly in “Naalam Naalam”, in the lines “Ilamayin Indha Ragasiyam, Iyarkayil vandha adhisayam” and “Manamagan Indha Oonjalil, Manamagal Mannan Maarbinil”, the words “Adhisayam” and “Maarbinil” will be sung with a "briga" and the sound “yammmmm” and “nilllll” are from the throat. Please listen to the song and try to sing it exactly in the same way. I am sure, you won’t be able to, unless you are a professional singer. That is the greatness of the Legend.

Another highlight of the song is the long humming “oho ho, oho ho, aha aha aha aha ahahahhha..............................."

Wishing you happy listening, throughout the week.

Bye,

Venu Soundar
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Saradhaji Very Happy

Nice to see enthusiastic response for the little master of melody's music.

True, vinyl record capacity was short & hence AIR also had to air as such.

Happy to see the fuller version in movies .

You are right. Naam oruvarai oruvar also had lengthy ludes but absent in AIR .

Venugopal S,

Kadhalikka neramillai's songs richly deserved a national award but as usual that year's award went to someone .
Naalaam naalaam is a real beauty , especially the preludes & the interludes .

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Gramaphone Records. Reply with quote

Dear Mr Balaji,

I think you have not seen my posting on the Gramaphone Records. Please have a look at the same.

Regards,
Venu Soundar
srandy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Gramaphone Records. Reply with quote

Venugopalan Soundararajan wrote:
Dear Mr Balaji,

I think you have not seen my posting on the Gramaphone Records. Please have a look at the same.

Regards,
Venu Soundar

Dear Venu

I am unable to locate the post that you say that you have made on "Gramaphone Records"... Could you please lead me to that post please?

However, here is some info that about "duration" on various mediums..

78rpm record - around 3 to 5 minutes per side
45rpm record - often around 4 minutes
EP (Extended play) : 7 minutes) per side, up to 6 per side, in some cases even a few minutes longer.

331/3 LP (Long play) record - up to 30 minutes per side, though some LPs have a longer time by a few minutes.

Audio cassette usually 30 or 45 minutes per side, 60 minutes per side have also been sold although the tape is more prone to stretching or breaking.

8-Track tapes - up to 100 minutes, often 45 to 80

Compact disc
Earlier discs: up to 74 minutes (or up to 650 MB of data files)
Later discs: up to 80 minutes (or up to 700 MB of data files)

Reel-to-Reel 1.5 hours (both sides) if recorded at 7.5 inches per second (ips) on a standard 1800 ft reel.

Professionals record at 30 ips on 3600 ft reels that will fit 22.5 minutes (one side only). A 3600 ft reel can hold up to 48 hours if recorded in mono (4 sides) at 15/16 ips.

Minidisc
Earlier discs: 74 minutes up to 296 minutes, depending upon compression used.
Later discs: 80 minutes up to 320 minutes, depending upon compression used.

Hi-MD Up to 13 hours on a standard 80-minute MiniDisc.
Up to 45 hours on a 1Gb Hi-MD (MiniDisc)

Digital audio player - around 17 hours per GB of data, depending on bit rate

DVD around 8.5 hours per layer (more if compression is used)

SACD, HDDVD, Blu-ray - 50GB (23 Hours)

Coming back to "cuts" in audio, there are many many songs out there that have one charanam that have been left out entirely as there were songs that had preludes / interludes excluded from the Vinyls... These are typically songs that are over 5 minutes long. Though EP's were available, since there were not many players that could "read" in these groves, they were not as popular.

Trivia:
I remember, "aadaludan paadalai kaettu" - "kudi iruntha koil" extended to both sides of a 45 rpm disc. This movie also had 2 intervals : ))

Cheers
&y

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Gramaphone Records Reply with quote

Dear Andy,

My posting is right under this section only. Please go up and have a look.

However, thanks for the more detailed info. Regarding lengthy songs, which are there as two-sided Records, please look at the list of songs provided by me. Yes, "Adaludan Padalai kettu" was yet another song, which was on a double side record.

Bye,
Venu Soundar
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Extended Posting! Reply with quote

Dear Andy & Venu,

Thanks a ton for educating me on the various aspects of records. You have sort of created a record by the way!!! What about Oru Raja Raaniyidam from Sivantha Mann and Azhagiya Tamizh Magal ival? Great Master at his effortless ease to create these!
Regards
vaidy
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: What happened to cds! Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Venu,

What happened to the cds I had sent thro' your brother? Have you recd them or not, pse post me

Regds
vaidy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: CDs Reply with quote

Dear Vaidy,

As I had mentoined in one of my mails to you, the CDs have been left by Murali at my elder brother's place at Bangalore. My wife is going to Bangalore this month end to attend at Wedding. That time she will bring them personally. She will reach here by 2nd Feb. I am still longing for these CDs, "Navarasak Kolam" in particular.

As decided by both of us earelir, it is not advisable to send these by courier and stand the risk of losing them.

Once the CDs reach my hands, I will immediately let you know. Once again, thanks a million for this great gesture.

With Luv,
Venu Soundar
sankaran.lic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: CDs Reply with quote

Venugopalan Soundararajan wrote:
Dear Vaidy,

As I had mentoined in one of my mails to you, the CDs have been left by Murali at my elder brother's place at Bangalore. My wife is going to Bangalore this month end to attend at Wedding. That time she will bring them personally. She will reach here by 2nd Feb. I am still longing for these CDs, "Navarasak Kolam" in particular.

As decided by both of us earelir, it is not advisable to send these by courier and stand the risk of losing them.

Once the CDs reach my hands, I will immediately let you know. Once again, thanks a million for this great gesture.

With Luv,
Venu Soundar

DEAR MR.VENU,

WILL U PLEASE SHARE THE C.D

SANKARANARAYANAN.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: CDs. Reply with quote

Dear Sankaranarayanan,

Oh, sure. First let it reach my hands; then I will revert to you.

Regards,
Venu Soundar
Ram

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expect "Navarasa Kolam" in MSVTimes.com, soon !!!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: