"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ETHANAI AZHAGU KOTTI KIDAKKUDHU

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raghavankannan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: ETHANAI AZHAGU KOTTI KIDAKKUDHU Reply with quote

Dear MSVs

This is a very rare song from Sivakamiyin Selvan sung by SPB. This film in Tamil had a challenge of Aradhana songs in Tamil version. Our MD has been very successful about all the songs and all of them have been very excellent.

The above song is hindi version of 'Rupathara masthana', Hindi had been big hit because of national language and our Tamil song is very pleasing and was hit only in Radio Ceylon because AIR had refused to broadcast this song and TV media were not there during that period. If TV media would have been introduced, the songs of our MD had been reached very high.

Regards

Raghavankannan
P. Sankar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mr.Raghavan Kannan for reminding one of the great albums of MSV.

Composing music for a remake of a Hindi super hit film is 200% challenging, particularly when the songs of the original version is very very popular. Not only MSV has done this in the film SIVAKAMIYIN SELVAN, but he has done in many other films like NALLAI NAMATHEY.
The songs in Sivakamiyin Selvan like, "Ullam Rendum", "Mela Thallam Ketkum kalam", "Iniyavaley", "Aanikku munney Aavani madham", "UNAKKUM ORU KAALAM UNDU", "En Raajavin Roja mugam" were all super duper hits of the year. MSV had done a very challenging work and succeeded. Other than MSV, nobody would have even tried to compose different tunes for the film, but instead would have copied the same tunes. (I dont mention the song "Ethanai Azhagu", because here the original has an edge.)

Let us not forget one thing. The songs in "Aradhana" were great and immortal too. The melody in the music given by S.D.Burman made the album super hit; not just because it was national language. Hindi's reach is more in India than Tamil; English has better reach in the world than Hindi. We should not have regrets for these areas and these are beyong our reach. This is a forum to appreciate the works of MSV; let us do it and bring lots of His achievements to focus; analyze his talented compositions, while not forgetting that there are talents at all places and only the degree varies.

P. Sankar.
sridhar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

super duper songs, movie was average at best. yes, Aradhana songs were great, tamil version was equally good. I liked MSV's Etharkum oru Kalam varum better than SD Burman's hindi version. can't recall it was MSV or Kannadasan saying this but apparently, a girl who was frustrated with her life and about to commit suicide heard this song and changed her mind with a will to live. Kannadasan and MSV were touched and amazed by the impact of this song and the ability to touch people's lives.
irenehastings

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When "Aradhana" was remade in Tamil, everyone were eagerly watching how MSV is going to face the challenege.

Because at that time Aradhana was a very big hit solely due to its wonderful songs. Aradhana songs were heared in every nook and corner of Tamil Nadu. Marrigae parties were telling to the 'speaker set arrangers' without Aradhana songs, they should not come. In such a way they have captured a place in Tamilian hearts. The movie run 100 weaks at Madras.

Thatswhy every music lovers were looking for Sivakamiyin Selvan, to know how MSV sir faced the challenge. After releasing of LP records of SS, everyone stunned with joy, that MSV sir done it in very wonderful way, mainly WITHOUT TOUCHING ANY OF THE ORIGINAL TUNES OF ARADHANA.

Thus he proved that he is the very talented MD, not to compare anyone here.

(But KVM unnecessarily copied a tune of aradhana (kun kuna rahe) in his Arunodhayam movie as "enga veetu thanga theril endha naalum thiruvizha' (spb & ps). V.Kumar copied 'Raadhaiyin nenjame' (kanimuthu papa) from Sharmilee. No need to tell about Vedha and Shankar Ganesh).
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ORIGINALITY

This is what that comes to my mind immediately !

Though Aradhana has full of super hit songs & wonderful tunes, the Master has not touched any of it .

Roop thera mastana , beautifully brought in to tamil cinema through this song !

A very fast paced number .

Why this song, the whole movie has wonderful songs of Mellisai Mannar. My favourite is Iniyavale endru padivandhen Very Happy
Damodaran Pachaiappan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched Sivakamiyin Selvan DVD last night. The last time I saw this film was when it was released. I concur with the opinions expressed in the above posts that the songs and music are not only on par with that of Aradhana but some of them are even superior.. If I remember correctly, the film itself was not such a block buster like the Hindi original. The reasons ( or so I think ) are somewhat clear to me now. It conveys the impression of a low budget movie in many frames and probably did not meet the hype of the hindi version.Perhaps, director C V Rajendran could have handled it better. Moreover, Nadigar Thilagam didn't have much scope except in few scenes after he finds out the truth about his mother. Vanishree had overshadowed everyone else in this movie.

In my opinion, without the music of our Legend, this film would not have been worth watching. Vanishree's emotive scenes and dialogue delivery has the able support of the soulful background score of Mellisai Maamannar. The melancholic humming which sounds every time Vanishree recollects her past is simply touching.

The songs are in a class of their own. Even the song "ethanai azhagu" which did not appeal to me years ago sound quite OK now. To me the songs that top the list are "Edharkum oru kaalam undu" [/b[b]]by our own MSV and " En Rajavin Roja mugam" by PSusheela. As I never tire of saying, Mellisai Maamannar MSV's voice moves and melts my heart like a hot knife on butter. To be honest, this particular song has boosted my morale during certain difficult times in my life.The slow version of "En rajavin roja mugam" left me in tears.

MSV performed during an era when good music in films was taken for granted and did not have cut outs made for him. But thanks to God, his music towers over all banality.

The song en rajavin roja mugam is 'many times worthier' than all of Aradhana's songs put together.

I am all nostalgic now. Long Live Mellisai Maamannar MSV.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: