"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PONNAI VIRUMBUM BHOOMIYILAE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S.SAMPAT

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: PONNAI VIRUMBUM BHOOMIYILAE Reply with quote

Dear All,

What a song!! The specialities of the song are

1. The basic scale is Mohanam with alien notes of both madhyamam and
Sudha Dhaivatham.

2. The song is composed in G major.

3. All the interludes are the same.

4. Silence (Thanks to SRS for giving me the correct word)

5. Connecting bridge between the charanam and the Pallavi, Second part of the Pallavi itself.

Prelude just 3 chords with the rythm, Daa da tatta tatta taa (2 times ) and the Ta.

G chord - Daa da tatta tat

Am - Tat taa

G - Daa datta tat

D - Tat taa

G - Ta

Then the song starts . The Rythm is 4 beats with 4 notes for each beat.

The song starts after one note (onnu thalli) to suite the soll "Ponnai" which has only three letters. Upto Ponnai Virumbum, There is only silence and there is no accompaniment whatsoever. In MSV music even silence enhances the beauty of the song.

The Tabla accompaniment of the charanam is something interesting and great. It is Thaam thaka - - Taka (4 - 2 (silence) - 2) upto the charanam and when the connecting bridge comes then again slience upto Pudhiya Ulagam and it is usual thakadhimi thaka junu only. How did it strike to have this kind of rythm? Amazing. Then again there will be a slience upto Ponnai virumbum. The same pattern continues during the entire length of the song. Within this composition,both sudha madhayamam and Prati madhayam and Sudha Dhaivatham find place without jeopardising the total melody content. That is our MSV.

Great indeed. And last but not the least, the way the mouth organ is handled. Truely Amazing!!

For persons interested in Sruthi Bhedam, if u take the Sathustruthi Dhaivatham as Shadjam in this song, you will get the basic scale as Sudha Dhanyasi and the entire song is composed in one Octave that is lower Sa to upper Sa, ofcourse with alien notes. This is also something unique.

With regards
Sampat
Baskar CS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the back drop of brindavan with NT and SD this song is like a morning hot pongal and vengaya chutney for me.
TMS had given his life to this and in the whole song there is one echoing effect which fills the heart .
my weekend is charged fullly now and the melody is the greatest one
the interludes are simple and what a fillling with out any jarring music
a soft heart can express only soft music .
baskar
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 100 % metered song

Kavginar has set the lyrics to the tune

Mild melody

Beautiful use of mouth organ

Wonderful voice of TMS

Another great album for MSV-TKR Very Happy
saradhaa_sn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: PONNAI VIRUMBUM BHOOMIYILAE Reply with quote

S.SAMPAT wrote:
[b]Dear All,

What a song!! The specialities of the song are

3. All the interludes are the same.

Very very rarely it will happen to Mellisai Mannar (using the same interlude for all charanam)

Another example is: பாவாடை தாவணியில் பார்த்த உருவமா from நிச்சயதாம்பூலம் with same interludes with sidhar and flute.

Sometimes if there are three charanams, MSV will use (that too very rare) same interlude for first and third charanams, and the interlude for the second one will be different, such as:

இன்பமே உந்தன் பேர் பெண்மையோ from இதயக்கனி.

(these differences we can watch only in our Master's songs. For other MDs, let it be GR, SMS, KVM till present Harris & Eman, all the interludes will be somewhat same. Please dont think I am degrading others, but telling the fact. Regarding present songs, I dontknow whether there are preludes, interludes etc.

If I hear fifty songs of present, I cannot identify the difference for any tunes and ludes. Because I can hear only the sound and not the music. ஒருவேளை அவற்றை ஆழ்ந்து அறிந்து கொள்ளும் அளவுக்கு, இந்த பைத்தியக்காரிக்கு புத்தி போதாதோ என்னவோ)

Nearly after 13 years, the picturisation of another song, resembled பொன்னை விரும்பும் பூமியிலே. That is 'அன்பு நடமாடும் கலைக்கூடமே' from அவன்தான் மனிதன். Hero (Sivaji) on wheel chair, and heroine driving him (Manjula, instead of Sarojadevi).

I mean the picturisation only same, but song?... no doubt, it is entirely different. Because there will be no repeatation of any tune by our Master.

Thank God, it is available in our Master's song list, to enjoy:

http://www.msvtimes.com/music/songs/p.html
Srinivass NV

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sampat,
Nice pick up and explanation. As a token of continuation, this one is a natural 2/4 Rhythm which is evident when the Tabla takes over during உருவம் இரண்டு... For the rest of the Song, as you have said, the Genius has framed his own 2/4 Variant with Silence imbibed intermittently to be part of the Rhythm itself!...

Kaviyarasar's Lyrics need a mention here... காதலியிடம் தாய்மையைப் பார்க்கின்ற கண்ணியத்தை மிக மிக நெகிழ்ச்சியாக சொல்லியிருக்கிறார். Simplest choice of words...harmoniously sounding...barest minimum of வல்லினம்...and of all...the presence of பொருட்சுவை as ever!... No doubt... he has been the greatest boon to TFM.

A Quote from Mrs.Saradha Prakash...
Quote:
Please dont think I am degrading others, but telling the fact. Regarding present songs, I dontknow whether there are preludes, interludes etc.

If I hear fifty songs of present, I cannot identify the difference for any tunes and ludes. Because I can hear only the sound and not the music. ஒருவேளை அவற்றை ஆழ்ந்து அறிந்து கொள்ளும் அளவுக்கு, இந்த பைத்தியக்காரிக்கு புத்தி போதாதோ என்னவோ)

No one can ever mistake you are degrading today's Music. It is not we who are degrading it... It has already been degraded to the barest possible extent by its own makers!... Clearly...one cannot expect Ludes here. The Sound Structure of today's (so called) Song has become : Pre-Noise -- Grunting -- Inter-Noise -- Growling -- Post-Noise. Added to this unbearable agony is the absurd Poetic Noise!... Ofcourse...there are always a few exceptions here and there, which can never be quoted as a way of justifying the rotten majority.

Coming back to our song... Another asset is the Voice of TMS, which has been another boon to TFM.

With Love
P. Sankar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undoubtedly TMS has taken this song to greater heights. If somebody wants to learn pronounciation of good Tamil, practising such songs of TMS would be a better way than attending a tuition with some Tamil Teacher. Such a great command with the language, even while singing.

P. Sankar - TIRUNELVELI
rajeshkumar_v

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

பொன்னை விரும்பும் பூமியிலே - ஆலயமணி

ஆலயமணி - பி.எஸ்.வி பிக்சர்ஸ் தயாரிப்பில் திரு.கே.சங்கர் இயக்கத்தில் உருவான ஒரு அற்புத படைப்பு

split personality பற்றி அன்றே அற்புதமாக சொன்ன படம் இது.

படத்தின் பலம் : கதையும், இசையும்

மெல்லிசை மன்னர்களின் இசையில் பாடல்கள் அனைத்தும் அருமை இனிமை

சிவாஜி தன் எஸ்டேட்டிற்கு வரும் வழியில் சரோஜாதேவியை பார்க்கும் விதமாக அமைந்த மானாட்டம் தங்க மயிலாட்டம் சுசீலாவின் குரலில் அழகான பாடல்

சரோஜாதேவி தன் காதலன் எஸ்.எஸ்.ஆரை காக்க வைத்து கேலி செய்யும் பாடலாக அமைந்த
கண்ணான கண்ணனுக்கு அவசரமா (சுசீலா, சீர்காழி) பாடலும் அருமை

ஒரு தலைக்காதலாக விஜயகுமாரி எஸ்.எஸ்.ஆரை தூங்க வைக்க பாடும் பாடலாக அமைந்த தூக்கம் உன் கண்களை தழுவட்டுமே எஸ்.ஜானகியின் குரலில் இனிமையான பாடல்

சரோஜாதேவியின் அழகை சிவாஜி வர்ணிக்கும் விதமாக அமைந்த பாடல்
கல்லெல்லாம் மாணிக்க கல்லாகுமா (டி.எம்.எஸ்- எல்.ஆர்.ஈஸ்வரி)

இந்த பாடல்ளையெல்லாம் தூக்கி சாப்பிடும் விதமாக திரு.டி.எம்.எஸ் அவர்கள் பாடிய இரண்டு solo பாடல்கள் இந்த படத்தின் மிகப்பெரிய ஃப்ளஸ்

ஆம்
பொன்னை விரும்பும் பூமியிலே
சட்டி சுட்டதடா

குறிப்பாக பொன்னை விரும்பும் பூமியிலே பாடல் மிகவும் மென்மையான அதே சமயம் தனக்காக சேவை செய்யும் காதலியை புகழ்ந்தும் பாடுவதாக அமைந்த பாடல்

தேர்வு செய்தமைக்கு வந்தனங்கள்

ராஜ்
Ram

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pick and analysis by our dear Sampath !!! And nice and interesting replies from other club members!

Yes, it is wonderful number.... See the slow tempo set by our Master and how he has given such a great melody in that....

No words!
S.SAMPAT

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear NVS, Balaji, Ram, Bhaskar, Sharadha,RajeshKumar and Sankar and others,

It is our good fortune that we are born in Tamil Nadu to enjoy the lyrics, music and golden voice of Kannadasan, Vali, MSV and TMS respectively.

What a pronounciation!! What a bhava! Hats off!! I have heard my guru T.N.Seshagopalan speaking very high of TMS. He told me TMS is the real Thiraioolaga PinnaniPaadal Chakravarthy. I have heard the great SPB, telling no body in the country had sung as many variety of songs of as TMS and with the wide range of Pitches. Somebody should start a separate website for this unique person TMS.

Thank u one and all for your encouragement.

With regards,
Sampat
Baskar CS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this issue has the interview of MM .
members please see and enjoy

baskar
Baskar CS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry it is in Ananda Vikatan
of the current issue
baskar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: