"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sumai Thaangi Saaindhaal - Part II
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S.SAMPAT

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear SRS and NVS,

Thank u so much SRS for enlighting me on the point of Poetic Meter. Though surprising, I feel thrilled to learn a new thing from u. Thanks a lot for taking the pain of referring to a book to explain. I appreciate ur sincerity in correcting me. Thank u so much.

Dear NVS,

Now I understand that u speak about only the tempo and not the time signature. If my understanding is correct ur 2/4 is Tha Ka Dhi Mi and 4/4 is the immediate second speed of 2/4 i.e Tha Ka Tha Ri Ki Ta Tha Ka. Is my understanding correct? As u said the time signature is meaningless without the specified tempo.

In this context, I would like to mention the following which is quite interesting. Take "Nagumomu" in Abheri sung by Musiri and the versatile genius Balamurali.

The Thala is only ADI. But see the variation in Tempo. But the interesting point is for their choosen Tempo, the value of mathirai remain 32 which has 4 mathirai for one beat. (It is 4 semi quavers per beat in Western)!!!
In Western music, the tempo is clearly mentioned as I have mentioned. But the greatness of our music is the tempo is based on style and mood of the musician. I have heard Balamurali singing "Endha Mudho in Bindhumaalini" in different tempos on two different occasions with the song set to Adi thalam!!!!

I hope my understanding is correct. I am waiting for ur Part III.

With regards,
Sampat
S.SAMPAT

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear NVS and Ram,

Here to define "The Tempo" is very difficult. It may not be correct to define it as speed. For example, If u try to sing sarali varisai in three speed with same thalam Adi, First Kalam will have one swara for each beat, 2nd kalam will have two swarams and the third kalam with 4 swaras per beat. Meaning for a definite tempo u are singing 3 speeds.

But I can even fix the tempo which may be 1.5 times of the previous tempo and still proceed to sing the sarali varisai with all the 3 speeds like above with the same thalam ADI of 8 aksharas and 32 notes with 4 notes for each beat.
Now again for different tempo u r singing 3 speeds. But in the both cases, the mathematics is the same. That is 2nd speed is 2 times that of the 1 Kalam and the 3rd speed is 4 times of the 1 kalam. That does not change!!!

The interesting point in this is whatever may be the tempo, the interval between two consecutive beat remain the same for the choosen tempo. That is the reason, irrespective of the tempo, the mathirai remain the same. As NVS said, tempo is an intuition of the singer but a mirudhangist can not have his own intuition because he is compelled to follow the suit of the main artist. What he does is, he understands the tempo, the same mathematics applicable to Adi thalam he plays corresponding to the tempo of the main artist. Hence, for a mridhangist it is the same old lesson of Adi thalam but in a different tempo. I am mentioning it for the benefit of the listeners though it is out of focus of our main discussion.

Ram, Hope u will agree with me. (There are quite a number of mrudhangists who can drag the main artist to his own choosen tempo!!!! That is a different story altogether Laughing ). NVS, if u listen to Vellikinnam than, the first time MSV would have used the percussion in first speed and the last time the rythm is in second speed. For him, anything and everything is possible.

With regards,
Sampat
Srinivass NV

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sampat,
Yes, you are right. If for example, a 2/4 Rhythm Pattern as applied in the Industry is தக தக தக திமி, then the 4/4 Pattern would be தகதிமி தகஜணு தகதிமி தகஜணு, a doubled up version of the 2/4 Pattern. It is for the Tempo to decide which suits the feel of the Song. Now, I must thank you very much for playing the crucial role of a rear-view Mirror. The exchanges have certainly given me a better insight of the whole system.

All these days, I have been deriving my perceptions on Music only with the help of my Intuition. My knowledge / practice on theory is too meagre. In fact, it is an authentic learning for me when SRS told me how the conventions of Tamil Grammar derive the மாத்திரை and how the Poetic METER is 8 in the case of this Song. To be honest, I have perceived it as 8 because when I pronounced it the way a Poetry must be, it sounded 8 Counts. I have not gone by the Grammar.

Dear SRS,
As you have been my Mentor all through (the most difficult a role to play, analogous to that of the Indian Cricket team's Coach) it is not new to me to be aware of the versatility of your Knowledge. I cannot refer you as a Book... as normally, a Book confines itself to a particular subject. Neither can I refer you as a Dictionary. A dictionary only attempts to outline a subject or aspect. It seldom gives an elaboration on a given topic to induce a clarity. I always remember your remark to me...'கன்னா பின்னான்னு படிக்கணும்'!!!... I know, you could not find the right superlative to your satisfaction, to convey the Depth of Learning you wish me to practice. I know,...like the Players of our Indian team, I have been failing your faith consistently.

Now, a request on behalf of this elite Forum : Why don't you enlighten us by choosing to write about a subject (which is relevant to this Forum)? It could be a subject of your choice... All the interested ones can participate in the Thread and clarify or get clarified. And, if the chosen subject could be closely associated either with the Lyrics or the Music thus referring to live examples, it would be a delight to learn.

NB : My personal choice of the subject I would like to learn from you is : சந்தம் from the Basics

With Love
S.SAMPAT

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear SRS,

Who else can enlighten us on the topic given by NVS. Please, the students are waiting to hear from the master

With regards,
Sampat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: