"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nee ennenna sonnaalum kavidhai ( Netru Indru Naalai )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Nee ennenna sonnaalum kavidhai ( Netru Indru Naalai ) Reply with quote

Mellisai Mannar’s concept of lite music , as we all know changed the trend which was classical. But he always applied carnatic ragas to a greater extent and beautifully mixed them with western and gave us a grand buffet.

Take any raga, MSV had mastered it and mind blowingly used to cinema songs. ( Here , mention must be made about another great composer K.V.Mahadevan whose many songs are still popular for carnatic base)

One such is BAGESHRI which we have heard it used for songs like Unakagave naan ( maya bazaar ) , kalaye en vaazkayin ( amara deepam ) etc.

Why our Master and TKR combo earlier have given -Nilave ennidam nerungadhe ( Ramu ), Mayakkum malai pozudhe nee po po .

But what amazes me till date and takes me to ecstatic state is the unforgettable NEE ENNENNA SONNALUM KAVIDHAI.

Appears in MGR’s NETRU INDRU NAALAI , a movie of the early 70s wherein MSV had given some outstanding songs

Ok. Why this song is so special ? Many factors , like

•the golden voice of TMS
•the evergreen P.Susheela
•the nice simple orchestration

HOWEVER, FOR ME, THE GREAT NUMBER OF SANGATHI THAT THE MASTER HAD APPLIED IS WHAT CAPTIVATES AND DOMINATES

It seems like MSV had tested the reserves of both the singers !

It all starts on a simple manner for the first 2 sentences. But what happens next is all the mind blowing sangathis .

For the first 2 sentences, TMS repeats beautifully :

Kavithaaaaaaiiiiiiii

Thotaalllllllum

Innniiiimaiiiiiiii

Now, its PS’s turn to display her class :

She sings the 3rd and 4th in flat mode but MSV makes her repeat with sangathi :

Nee ennennna seidhaalummmmm pudhumaaaaiiiiiiii

Unnai engennnnnnnnnnngu thottaaaalum ilamaaai.

Inimaaaaaaaiiiiii…………. Ilamaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii……..

See what a magic has been created by just repeating the sentences in another scale !

Being such a classical tune, MSV was very quick to close out the interludes through a combination of flute, sitar and latter trumphet and rushes to charanam.

First charanam is dominated by TMS .

Again, the sangathi downpour when the first sentence of the charanam is repeated –

Chinnanchirumalaar…..paniyinil nanaindhu…

Ennai konjam vaaannnndhu …..thazuvida ninaindhuuu….

Mullai kodiyena karangalil valaindhu……

Muthu charamennnnnna …kurunagai purindhu………

Now kurunagai purindhu is repeated to loop back to the pallavi……..

P.Susheela is an extraordinary singer . God’s gift to tamil music. She shows her class during the second charanam :

Ponnil azagiya manadhinil valaindhu …..

pongum thamizinilllllllllll kavidhaigal punaindhu….

Gangai nadhiyennnnnnnnnna uravinil kalandhuuuuuuuuuu

MSV spares both to some extent for the 3rd charanam.

As TMS sings Velli panimazai aruviziyil vizundhu

PS responds with Vetri thirumagan madiyinil kidandhu

TMS again Ulla sugathinai oruganam alandhu

Finally PS ends with Indha ulaginaiiiiiiii……………… with a superb pause…. Completes her part with Orukanam marandhu…….. orukanam marandhu……..

Introducing pause during a song is an art by itself. MSV is a proven master of this aspect . See how efficiently he had used the pause !

Honestly, after listening to the mind blowing tune & the raga application, I always get the feeling of - Indha ulaginai ….oru kanam marandhu .

The song has 3 charanams . All 3 are real honey coated downpour with heavy sangathi and the raga element.

All through the song, MSV has taken immense care to ensure precise application of the Bagesri raga , at the same time infuse his song structuring skills so that the best output is given .

As mentioned earlier, this movie has scintillating music like :

1.Paadumbodhu naan thendral kaatru ( SPB )
2.Ange varuvadhu yaaro ( SPB-SJ )
3.Nerungi nerungi ( TMS- PS ) which I believe was composed by KVM for another movie which MGR used it here
4.Thambi, naan padichen kanchiyile netru ( this song was super hit for various reasons , as MGR was sacked at the time of making the movie . So , he used this song to convey a political message )

For classical music followers, Nee ennenna sonnaalum is a real delightful gift .

Despite listening to the song umpteen noof times, my thirst for this song continues .
Ram

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful analysis on this song dear Balaji! Yes this is a great number in Bageshwari, one of the speciality Ragas of MSV.

Your narrative writing is so wonderful on each song. Telling "keep posting more" to you may sound like a cliche, yet I cannot refrain from telling that, after reading your post!

(By the way, Club, did you all see the special celebration for our Balaji's century posts in the "Ranks and Promotions" section? Lets all celebrate this great moment!)
tvvraghavan

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Mersmerising...... Reply with quote

Dear Balaji sir,
Thanks for reminding this nectar of love with a mersmerising write up.....Its been quite a looong time since I listened to this and as I read your post I am listening ....My GOD....

" Unnai Engengu Thottalum (with a stress) Iniiiimaii....."

The Sitar in the prelude is really stunning...

Am just wondering how he could efficiently handle the same Raaga for pathos and to express the Love....He is Musical God !!!

PS proves that the song is always sweet and always young while rendering ILAMAIII ...INIMAIII..... what apt lyrics....!!!

HATS OFF SIRE !!!

MSV Mersmerises,
Venky
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: SHEER JOY Reply with quote

DEAR BALAJI,

EXCELLENT WRITE-UP. MY REACTION IN A NUT SHELL

"THOSE WHO LISTEN TO MSV'S MUSIC CAN NEVER LIKE OTHERS AND THOSE WHO LISTEN TO OTHERS CAN NEVER ANALYSE MSV'S MUSIC"

SIMPLY OUT OF THE WORLD MELODY THIS SONG!!!

NO ONE EXCEPT MSV MESMERISES!!!
CHEERS
VAIDY

Srinivass NV

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Balaji Sir,
I apologize for the delay...I was held up with my routines;

Fabulous song & a wonderful flow of narration. What amazes me is the true dedication which is visible in your presentation every time!...

You are so right in highlighting the speciality of the Legend. He is a master of using Pauses to speak for him. And see the way he repeats "Kurunagai Purindhu" in order to seamlessly flow back to the Pallavi!...

In this song, MSV has used 2 METERs... one for Pallavi and one for Charanam. Was this written by Vaali?

With Love
s.r.sankaranarayanan

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEAR BALAJI,

THE SONG,OH! MY GOODNESS.REAL AMBROSIA.REALLY SHORT OF ADJECTIVES.ANY MD OF ANY ERA, PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS NUMBER AND PLEASE LEARN AND ENRICH YOUR COMPOSING SKILLS.SANGATHIS AND GAMAKAMS GALORE.NO SINGLE SYLLABLE IS LEFT UNORNAMENTED.GREAT EXERCISE IN RAAGA AESTHETICS.SEE HOW THE RAAGA WEARS A NEW COLOUR IN THIS MAGICIANS HANDS.SEE HOW MELLIFLOUSLY CRISP ARE THE INTERLUDES.AESTHETICS IN ART ,IT IS SAID GREATLY LIES IN STRUCTURING,AND WHAT A WORK IN SELECTING THE ELEMENTS TO DO THIS,SELECTIVE VARIATION IN METERS,DISTRIBUTION OF AMAZING SANGATHIS ,AND THAT DUMBFOUNDING CLIMACTIC PREGNANT PAUSE,CRISPLY CONNECTING INTERLUDES ALL EMBEDDED IN THAT GARLAND OF THE RAAGA BAGESHRI.

YOU HEAR IT THOUSAND TIMES,EVERY TIME IT THROWS A NEW EXPERIANCE,LIKE ANY GREAT ARTPIECE IT LEAVES YOU CLUE LESS.

GENIUS,REAL GENIAL MASTER PIECE.

AS ILAYARAAJA HAS TODAY MENTIONED IN HIS "VARALATTRUPADAI"
COLUMN IN "DINATHANTHI"- APPADI ORU MEDHAI NAMMA PATTAI KETTU PAARATTI SONNAR ENBATHIL ENGALUKKU NILAIKOLLATHA SANTHOSHAM-RECOUNTING AN INCIDENT IN INITIAL DAYS WHEN THE BROTHERS GAVE CUTCHERI IN PONMALAI ,TRICHY WHICH MSV HEARD FROM HIS UNCLES HOUSE AND COMMENTED.
HE IS ALWAYS A MUSICIANS MUSICIAN.

THIS ONE ,IS A AN UNFATHOMABLE COMPOSITION,CREATIVITY AT ITS BETTER BEST, HALLMARK OF AN UNDISPUTED CREATIVE GENIUS.

OOF! WHAT TO TELL MORE!

S.R.SANKARANARAYANAN
Jeev

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Netru Indru Nalai Reply with quote

One nore song to be added - Romeo Juliet , Innoru Vaanam Innoru Nilavu
(TMS & PS). MGR & Latha sing this song in the movie.
rajeshkumar_v

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balaji,
asusual great wirteup

nee ennenna sonnalum kavithai - yes written by vaali

one small correction

the song you've mentioned kalyae un vaazhkayin is from Meenda sorgam and not amara deepam
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rajesh Very Happy Sorry. I misquoted .

Dear S.R.Sankaranarayanan,

Sampath mentions that you are the king of Sangadhi Very Happy Ungalai sandhikkum andha naalil , please sing this song for us. Very Happy

Dear NVS,

True. This song has 2 diff. meters !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: