"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

THE LEGACY & THE LEGEND WILL LIVE FOREVER!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: THE LEGACY & THE LEGEND WILL LIVE FOREVER! Reply with quote

Dear All,

THE MOST DEAREST TO ALL OF US HAS JUST COMMENCED HIS ETERNAL MUSICAL JOURNEY.....

SHRI. SHRI. MSV - MY UNSUNG HERO...

My heart pains to start my write-up on the most admired human being - The undisputed Emperor of Melodies... MSV. Though born in Kerala, the selfless service that he rendered to our mother tongue Tamizh is something that deserves to be etched in platinum in the annals of our language. Inspired by the greatest lyricist late Kannadasan, this duo ruled this industry with their unmatched creativity & spontaneity for decades, which is always portrayed as the "Golden Era" of South Indian film music! As part of the core crew that created the only existing website in honour of this greatest musician of India, my association with this legend is something that I treasure as the most invaluable gift, gifted by the Almighty! We started this with all respect, sincerity, reverence and the good work is being carried on...

Knowing his impeccable caliber, the political class lined up at his door as early as the late 50's (and as recently as during his funeral, I wonder where they were in between all these 40 years when needed??) to tune songs for their electoral campaigns which he did with total due diligence. But he took all the care to remain, absolutely apolitical till the moment he was consigned to flames yesterday is an example for his consistency. A true champion of the commoner in every sense, MSV simply never believed (probably knowing that they were lobbied for??) in awards and was beyond these manmade materials. He always used to say that fans were his biggest rewards, awards & the largest assets he had ever acquired in his life! From a simple human being dwelling in a hut & a person driving a bullock cart to that of a person piloting an aircraft, he had the widest of reach amongst his audience under all age groups. His music no wonder transcended all barriers, caste, creed & religion!! He was dead right! The massive crowd that thronged his residence to pay their last respects, thousands of people waiting en-route during his last journey to have that one last glimpse of him, an emotionally charged massive crowd that awaited his mortal remains at the crematorium were all testimony to whatever he had uttered about his awards!! What a perfectly judged statement by him? I experienced it every second while walking along the side of the decorated truck in the procession!!!

But on a serious note, none of the political leaders who attained massive popularity by virtue of his music ever bothered to take it up at the highest level, depriving this man of every recognition that he very richly deserved at the national level while those of whom, who were well "connected" managed to get the same with absolute ease has always been the stance of many including me. All those who were making a hue & cry about Late Shri. MSV not being recommended (hate to use this word though) for awards, silently made a beeline to the offices in New Delhi and received their part is the bitter fact here. Such travel jaunts by these people were even kept a tightly guarded secret & many of us knew only the following day through media that so & so was awarded this year! I have even come across many who have vented their huge anger on this topic but they all preferred to confine their outbursts to a very small group and never increased their decibel levels to be heard in New Delhi for reasons best known to them! It baffles me even today as to why was there a virtual botcott of Shri. MSV and who led this onslaught?? Many from the same industry promptly criticised the rationale behind some of the lesser known being re(a)warded, but when it came to their own clan, preferred to travel to New Delhi in total secrecy! I still consider this as treachery of the worst kind. People who claim that, but for this man's picking them up for this job, they would have spent rest of their lives in utter penury is all a calculated, motivated, nicely articulated bluff.

If at all a sane person ever felt that gross injustice was being done to someone deserving the most, then all of them ought to have rejected such recognitions accorded based on influence rather than on merit and rallied behind MSV that would have ensured all that we have been fighting for, for decades. The least such people could have done is protested about the blatant injustice meted out to this greatest musical legend which they miserably failed to do is also a world known fact today. The Government at the State, the Centre, the film industry & the musical fraternity have played their part very well in ensuring that Late Shri. MSV was sent off as an unsung hero. It appeared to me that all those big talks unleashed by the political fraternity in the name paying eulogy, respects & encomiums were more to quench their personal thirst & to draw the attention of the waiting media than any seriousness attached to the core issue which is not few years old but decades! I even heard Mr. Vairamuthu opting for a posthumous Bharat Ratna (FOR WHAT???) which is only laughable and is of no relevance to a person who has left for his heavenly abode. May I also take this opportunity to appeal to all of those to surrender their Padma Awards as a mark of protest for the total injustice heaped on Late Shri. MSV? Does anyone have the guts to do it?

If at all we need to thank the media, then it is the Srilankan & the Malaysian Radio who propagated MSV's music to the nook & corner of this world more as a reverence & service to his creativity than anything else. They will always hold a special place in our hearts - the Devotees of Shri.MSV!!

To all of us who breath this Legend's music day in and day out, His Legacy lives forever... MSV's favourite two liners used to be, Mortal Men, Immortal Music. But to us, Immortal MSV, Immortal Music!!!

RIP SHRI. SHRI. MSV.....OHM SHRI GURUBYO NAMAHA:

MISSING YOU DEARLY, MY DEAREST MSV.....

PRANAAMS

VAIDYMSV

Venugopalan Soundararajan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Vaidy. As you have correctly said, we are thankful particularly to the இலங்கை வானொலி (Ceylon/Sri Lankan Broadcasting Corporation), for making us enjoy the great MSV’s songs and also his Thrilling Thematic Tunes, which they used to rightly call “Navarasak Kolangal”.

I am giving below link to a terrific tribute to the God of Light Music by a Sri Lankan, Mr K S Thurai:

www.tubetamil.com/tamil-tv-shows/a-tribute-for-m-s-viswanathan-by-k-s-thurai.html

காற்று உள்ளவரை அவர் இசை நம் காதுகளில் ஒலித்துக்கொண்டே இருக்கும்.

Regards,
Venu Soundar
parthavi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent tribute to MSV by Ramesh Vinayagam published in today's Hindu (17th July 2015, Friday Review) In a brief write up, he has given a comprehensive coverage of MSV's uniqueness and the distinguishing features of his music.

http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday-review/music/ramesh-vinayakam-remembers-msv/article7429649.ece
parthavi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudhra has organized a tribute to MSV through a webcast on Sunday, 19th July at 4.30 pm.

We can watch it at http://paalam.in/tv

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, its a wonderfully written tribute by Mr Ramesh Vinayakam.

In today's Hindu Friday Review, there are more articles on MSV. Please find the links for the same:

http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday-review/music/msviswanathan-composed-20-tamil-film-songs-in-the-bilaskhani-todi-raag/article7429483.ece

http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday-review/music/tribute-to-msv/article7429656.ece

(but the author of this article has, by mistake, included certain non-MSV numbers as her favourites)

http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday-review/music/suganthy-krishnamacharis-tribute-to-msv/article7429648.ece

Regards,
Venu Soundar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please find below link to Gangai Amaran's interview exclusively on MSV in Sun TV's "Suriya Vanakkam - Virundhinar Pakkam". This is Part 1. Link to Part 2 is not available yet. I will provide the same once available:

www.tamiltvshows.net/2015/07/virundhinar-pakkam-16-07-2015-gangai-amaran-music-director-sun-tv-show/

Regards,
Venu Soundar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please find below some superb articles on the great, great MSV published in Hindu Tamil. Soon after MSV Times was started, I had written in this Forum that it is a curse in the olden days MSV's golden compositions were categorised as 'MGR Hits' & 'Sivaji Hits', but not as MSV Hits". The same has been expressed in one of these articles:

http://m.tamil.thehindu.com/cinema/cinema-others/%E0%AE%8E%E0%AE%AE%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%8E%E0%AE%B8%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%B5%E0%AE%BF-%E0%AE%A4%E0%AE%AE%E0%AE%BF%E0%AE%B4%E0%AE%B0%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B3%E0%AE%BF%E0%AE%A9%E0%AF%8D-%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%BF%E0%AE%B2%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%BF%E0%AE%B2%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%88/article7433763.ece

Regards,
Venu Soundar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://m.tamil.thehindu.com/cinema/cinema-others/%E0%AE%8E%E0%AE%AE%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%8E%E0%AE%B8%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%B5%E0%AE%BF%E0%AE%95%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AF%81-%E0%AE%8E%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%AA%E0%AE%9F%E0%AE%BF-%E0%AE%87%E0%AE%B0%E0%AE%99%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AF%8D-%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%86%E0%AE%B0%E0%AE%BF%E0%AE%B5%E0%AE%BF%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%AA%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81/article7433760.ece

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://m.tamil.thehindu.com/cinema/cinema-others/%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%BE%E0%AE%B1%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%B1%E0%AE%BF%E0%AE%B2%E0%AF%8D-%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%A8%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4-%E0%AE%87%E0%AE%9A%E0%AF%88-13-%E0%AE%8E%E0%AE%AE%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%8E%E0%AE%B8%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%B5%E0%AE%BF-%E0%AE%8E%E0%AE%B8%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%AA%E0%AE%BF%E0%AE%AA%E0%AE%BF-%E0%AE%8E%E0%AE%B4%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%AA%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B3%E0%AE%BF%E0%AE%A9%E0%AF%8D-%E0%AE%87%E0%AE%B0%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%B5%E0%AE%B0%E0%AF%8D/article7433736.ece

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please click the link below and watch The Hindu's Tribute (video) for our great MSV:

http://tamil.thehindu.com/multimedia/%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%BE%E0%AE%B1%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%B1%E0%AE%BF%E0%AE%B2%E0%AF%8D-%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%A8%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4-%E0%AE%AE%E0%AF%86%E0%AE%B2%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%BF%E0%AE%9A%E0%AF%88-%E0%AE%8E%E0%AE%AE%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%8E%E0%AE%B8%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%B5%E0%AE%BF/article7425797.ece?ref=video

Regards,
Venu Soundar
parthavi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The articles in the Tamil Hindu are very well written.
I found these lines especially moving.

கண்ணதாசன், டி.எம்.எஸ்., பி. சுசீலா, பி.பி. ஸ்ரீனிவாஸ், எம்.ஜி.ஆர்., சிவாஜி போன்றோர் மட்டுமல்ல நான், நீங்கள் என்று அனைவரும் சேர்ந்த மொத்தம்தான் எம்.எஸ்.வி. திரைப்படங்களுக்கு மட்டுமல்லாமல் நாம் வாழும் காலத்துக்கே பின்னணி இசை கொடுத்த அந்த மகத்தான கலைஞனின் மறைவுக்கு இரங்கல் தெரிவிப்பது அபத்தமான விஷயமாக விஜயகாந்துக்குத் தோன்றியதில் ஆச்சரியமே இல்லை!

Thanks Mr. Venu Sondar for sharing these.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is NDTV's Tribute to MSV: "M S Viswanathan - A Man As Rare As His Music":

movies.ndtv.com/music/ms-viswanathan-a-man-as-rare-as-his-music-781641

Regards,
Venu Soundar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a lengthy and wonderfully written (barring a few errors, including the legend's birth date) article by one Shaji on The News Minute website. Please read and enjoy:

www.thenewsminute.com/article/tribute-ms-viswanathan-musical-juggernaut-who-dominated-industry-half-century-32217

Regards,
Venu Soundar
parthavi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Venu Soundar,

The article by Shaji is an edited version of his 2008 article in which he had focused on MSV, the singer. This is mentioned in the blog itself. This original article has been shared in our forum and there had been some discussions on that.

Here is the link for the original article.

http://shajiwriter.blogspot.in/2008/11/when-manayangathu-subramanyan.html

Here is the link for the discussion on this in our forum

http://msvtimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1826&highlight=shaji

I am mentioning this only by way of updating the info.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving below article from The Hindu:

http://www.thehindu.com/features/metroplus/ilaiyaraaja-remembers-msv/article7464634.ece?homepage=true

Ilaiyaraaja remembers MSV

SRINIVASA RAMANUJAM

Ahead of his tribute concert in the city today, a nostalgic Ilaiyaraaja talks to Srinivasa Ramanujam about his association with MSV.

Ilaiyaraaja shudders when you ask him to recall his last meeting with the late music composer M.S.Viswanathan. “I was shocked to see how frail and thin he was when I went to the hospital a couple of months ago,” he recalls, turning away, lest we see the pain in his eyes. “I did not expect to see that.”

That wasn’t the MSV he knew. The MSV he knew was one who was full of life, one who loved his mother dearly and one who had overwhelming gratitude towards his guru. And of course, one who was a magician with music.

It was magic that enthralled everybody growing up, listening to Tamil film music in the 60s and 70s. That is exactly what Ilaiyaraaja wants audiences to experience in his tribute concert, ‘Enullil MSV’, this evening at Kamaraj Arangam. “The intricacies in MSV anna’s compositions are something that’s not known even to those who are tuned in to music. Having said that, I wanted to share with listeners whatever I have grasped from it. His mastery is already displayed in his compositions, but whatever I have learnt from those, I will perform for listeners,” he explains.

This is a concert that is close to his heart for many reasons; chief among them being that it is one that was slated to happen for a long time. “He wanted both of us to do a programme. We had discussed it many times, but it didn’t happen. When he passed away, it affected me deeply. So, this is something we’d already discussed; I believe he’s with us in music and I’m sure he will be there with us during the event.”

MSV was, in many ways, Ilaiyaraaja’s ‘manasiga guru’, inspiring him to scale heights in music. How much of an impact did the Mellisai Mannan have in his growing up years? “That’s a personal question you’re asking me,” he says, eyes staring intensely, “You’ll say that I came from a village, I grew up listening to his compositions and became a composer. You’ll finish it in a single sentence. But it isn’t like that; the impact he had on me was all about emotions, feelings and purity. His songs reached everybody, but it changed me.”

Elucidating, he says, “Fire is the same always, but see the effect it has on various objects. A vazha mattai (banana stem fibre) may not light up, a kanchupona sulli (twig) might take some time, but gunpowder flares up immediately. I’m that gunpowder. This is not to tell my greatness; it just tells that his music has reached down to hit me.”

The first time Ilaiyaraaja met MSV was when he was leaving home for a recording. “I remember that day when I went to his house… I was a nobody at that time,” and then quickly adds, “Strike out that ‘at that time’; I’m nobody even now. He was in a hurry to leave, his driver was lurking around. There were a few musicians around too. I just quickly said ‘vanakkam’ and didn’t introduce myself. He looked at me and perhaps thought I was a fan. That was the first time I saw him up close.”

A few years before, he would have been standing in what we now call Dr. Radhakrishnan Salai to catch a glimpse of the composer, travelling in his famous Black Fiat 1100, bearing the registration number MSV 5052. “He used to head out at 8.30 in the morning to go for recording,” reminisces Ilaiyaraaja, “I would be going from Royapettah to Dhanraj sir’s room and would wait in the corner to catch a glimpse of him. He was always in the front seat, keeping his hand on the door. I used to see him and then go to class.”

Subsequently, Ilaiyaraaja became an established composer, being much-sought-after by directors looking for fresh sounds. His relationship with MSV continued, albeit on a professional level. “There have been several times when both our recordings were in the same place. When my morning recording got delayed, I used to get jittery as he would be waiting for me,” he states.

MSV was open to appreciating good music wherever it came from (“I’m Ilaiyaraaja’s fan,” he once famously said) and used to keep giving feedback. ‘Poongathave Thal Thiravai’ (Nizhalgal) was one such song. “He said, ‘Thambi, that song is very good.’ This was during the time when there were no audio cassettes. I was happy that he had heard it and appreciated me. Like ‘Poongathave’, I wonder how many of my songs he has heard and not been able to convey to me. I consider this not as praise, but as a blessing.”

Ilaiyaraaja points out how people shouldn’t forget the times MSV thrived in — a time when playing musicians were considered equivalent of five composers. “Composers sometimes used to be afraid to explain tunes… they used to think highly of playing musicians. And, just look at the names of those times — there were greats like G. Ramanathan and K.V. Mahadevan. And there was Papanasam Sivam. MSV was a composer hailing from such a rich musical tradition. He had a wealth of experience and exposure and took that in the form of music to listeners.”

Regards,
Venu Soundar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: