"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Most difficult song to tune
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: ATHISAYA ULAGAM - WONDER PERSONIFIED!!! Reply with quote

Dear All,

As various appeals made by our forum members didn't evoke any positive response from Murali, I wish to add that just because one's view point is not accepted / well received, Murali's unceremonious exit is not a good decision to say the least. I also wish to caution him that there may be more opposition to his theories from other forums also. MSVTIMES.COM again is not a place where bitter wars need to fought under the pretext of forcing one's opinion on an another. Rest is left to Murali...

OVER TO GOWRAVAM....

Shivaji starrer Gowravam is one of my all time favorites where MSV would have played havoc with his compositions / orchestrational mastery.

Athisaya Ulagam by M.S. Viswanathan, assisted by Joseph Krishna...

Song rendered by LR Eashwari - the prelude starts with an emphatic brass that sets the tune in motion in a recreation club. Listen to the trombone snippet as Shivaji is received & greeted by Major Sundararajan!!! With the brass opening up in full throttle, ably joined by organ, synthesiser and the most atrocious usage of Thavil (BTW, who could come near MSV in the world while choosing instruments!!) overlapping the triple congo, bongos finally fused with a volley of flute and accordion to wrap up the prelude and begin the song.....

Athisaya Ulagam, Ragasiya Ithayam....combination of flute over brass, brass over flute with the rocking rhythm involving rolling of the snare side of the thavil & bongos making merry all the way!!! MSV would have lived in every beat of this song. Mellisai Maamanaavar allava ivar!!! Again the 2nd interlude where brass rules the roost with MSV's sangathi's coming into prominence, beautifully rendered by LRE is a perennial entertainer!!! In the meantime, please do not miss Shivaji's body language throughout the song as he would have narrated what intoxication could do to a person irrespective of whether he is a justice or an ordinary citizen. That MSV chose a completely new orchestrational pattern for this song is still an unresolved puzzle, how astutely he did it is a wonder of wonders!!!

The song tuned by MSV assisted by Joseph Krishna had the following legendary players in the orchestra....

Brass & Trombone ensemble led by - Eugene Thomas
Flute - Nanjappa
Thumbha - Shekar
Triple Congo - Ganesh (Shankar)
Bongos - Gopalakrishnan
Organ - Ben Surendar
Synthesiser - Dass Daniel (who was Principal of AR Rahman's music college for sometime)

And, the man who stole the song with his impeccable Thavil Playing - Meesai Murugesh, a sakala kala vallavar and an one man army in the rhythm section of MSV's orchestra.

If at all one needs to learn a lesson on how to organise a prelude or an interlude or a postlude, life is too simple..Just listen to MSV's music, one can easily derive inspirations. Remember, this song started with a brass & trombone prelude, MSV would have used the same arrangements for ending also taking us all by surprise isn't it???

This song of the mid 70's not only was an instant hit then but even today. I listened to this song just before posting this titbit but what a beauty of a melody!!! MSV, YOU ROCK ALWAYS!!!

CHEERS

MSV I
S MUSIC!!!

V
AIDYMSV

S.Balaji

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ram,

I was about to call you to meet NYM personally and its nice that you had already done that Very Happy

A request now to NYM and other friends..... PLEASE EXPLORE THE OLD SONGS OF THE MSV-TKR AND WRITE ON THE RAGA ASPECT AND ALSO THE STYLE FOLLOWED BY THEM TILL THE PAA SERIES CHANGED THE TREND.

I had written on Indu namadhullame earlier. Like this, there are plenty which existed till the Pavamannippu year...

Special request pls..

Cheers
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

அன்புள்ள தள நண்பர்களுக்கு,
அனைவருக்கும் வணக்கம். முதலில் நான் ஒரு விஷயத்தை தெளிவு படுத்த விரும்புகிறேன். நான் எழுதும் பதிப்புகளில் எழுதும் சில இசை குறிப்புகள் என்னுடைய பார்வைக்கு தெரிந்த வரையில் நான் எழுதுகிறேன். ஆனால் அதை ஏற்பதும் ஏற்காததும் உங்கள் தனிப்பட்ட உரிமை. எனவே ஒரு போதும் நான் என் கருத்தை தான் ஏற்க வேண்டும், என்று ஒரு பொழுதும் வற்புறுத்தவில்லை. மீண்டும் இதனை தெளிவு படுத்த வேண்டுகிறேன்.

என் கருத்தை மதிப்பவர்களையும், மறுப்பவர்களையும் சமமாகவே தான் மதிக்கிறேன். ஆயினும் மறுப்பு பதிவு வெளியிடப்படும் பொழுது அதில் வரும் சில கருத்துக்கள் என் தனிப்பட்ட செயல்பாடுகளை விமரிசிப்பதால் அது என் தனிப்பட்ட உரிமையை பறிப்பதாக நான் எண்ணியதாலேயே விலக எண்ணினேன்.

ஆயினும் நண்பர் ராம், என்னிடம் மனம் விட்டு பேசி, பதிவு செய்த பின் இவை அத்தனையும் மறந்து மீண்டும் முன் போல் இனைந்து செயல்படுவோம்.

மற்றும் ஒரு விளக்கம். கருத்தை மறுப்பவர்கள் மறுக்கட்டும். அதற்கு அவர்களுக்கு முழு உரிமை இருக்கிறது. ஆயினும்,நான் இசை பற்றி என் சிற்றறிவுக்கு எட்டிய வரையில் கூறியதை நான் அறிந்ததே, MSV யுடன் பணியாற்றியவர்களிடமிருந்து தான் என்பதை முன்பே கூறினேன். தற்போதும் கூறுகிறேன்.

மேலும் அதில் எவ்வளவு உண்மை உள்ளது என்பதை எனது 30 வருட தவத்தில் புரிந்து கொண்டேன். எனவே நான் அடைந்த பயனை உங்களுடன் பகிர்ந்து கொள்வது தான் எனது நோக்கமே தவிர எனக்கு வேறு எந்த நோக்கமும் கிடையாது. .

மேலும் ஒரு விஷயத்தை இங்கு கூற விரும்புகிறேன். சில வருடங்களுக்கு முன் 'வார்த்தைகளை சொல்லும் வாத்தியங்கள்' என்ற நிகழ்ச்சி உங்களுக்கு நினைவிருக்கும். அப்போது MSV இசை அமைக்கும் விதம் பற்றி T K ராமமூர்த்தி அவர்கள் என்ன கூறினார் என்பதை கேளுங்கள்.

'தம்பி விசு ச, ரி க, ம என்ற 7 ஸ்வரங்களையும் சட்ஜமமாகவே வைத்து மியூசிக் பண்ணுவார்' என்று கூறினார். அதை ஏன் சொன்னார் ?
மற்றவர்கள் போல் அல்லது ஏதோ வித்யாசமாக அவர் இசையை பார்க்கிறார் என்று அந்த அறிஞர் கூறுவதில் எதோ உண்மை உள்ளது என்ற அளவில் நீங்கள் புரிந்து கொண்டால் மகிழ்ச்சியே.

சரி. இப்போது ராம் என்னிடம் வேண்டி கொள்வது என்ன ? மற்றவர்களுக்கு புரியும் வகையில் ஜன ரஞ்சமாக எழுதுங்கள். உங்கள் பதிப்புகளை எல்லாரும் படிக்க வேண்டும். அது தான் எனது விருப்பம் என்கிறார். அவர் என் மீது காட்டும் அன்புக்கு நன்றி.

ராம் காலையில் என்னிடம் பேசியப்பொழுது சொன்னார் 'MSV என்ன சொல்கிறார். தனக்கு பிடித்த பாடல் மற்றவர்களுக்கும் பிடிக்க வேண்டும். அவ்வாறு இருந்தால் தான் நான் அந்த பாடலை தருவேன். ஆனால் அதற்காக மற்றவர்களுக்கு விஷம் பிடிக்கும் என்றால் நான் தர மாட்டேன் என்று சொல்லுவது போலவே ' நீங்களும் உங்களுக்கு பிடிக்கும் என்று மட்டுமல்லாது, மற்றவர்களுக்கு பிடிக்கும் வகையிலும் எழுதுங்கள்' என்கிறார். ஒப்புகொள்கிறேன்.

ஆயினும் அவரிடம் நான் 'என் பதிவுகள் நிச்சயமாக மற்றவர்களுக்கு பிடிக்கும் வகையில் உள்ளதோ இல்லையோ ஆனால் மருந்து போலவே இருக்க கூடும், ஆனால் அது நிச்சயமாக விஷமாக இருக்காது' என்றேன்.
அதற்கு அவர் 'அவ்வாறு மருந்தை தேனில் குழைத்து தருவது போல தாருங்கள்' என்கிறார். ஒப்புகொள்கிறேன். ஆயினும் சில சமயம் தேனின் இனிப்பையும் தாண்டி மருந்து கசந்து விடுகிறது. எனவே என் பங்கிலும் உள்ள சில குறைகளை நிவர்த்தி செய்து கொள்ள முயற்சிக்கிறேன்.

ஆயினும் நான் தருவது மருந்து என்பது எனக்கு நிச்சயமாக தெரியும். உதாரணமாக நான் ஏற்கனவே கூறியது போல உங்கள் வீட்டில் harmonium இருந்தால் அதில் ச-க1-ம2 என்ற 3 ஸ்வரங்களையும் ஒரே சமயத்தில் அழுத்தி அந்த இசையை கேளுங்கள். ஒரு பீதி கலந்த ஒலிக்கலவையை நீங்கள் உணரலாம். அவ்வாறு தொடர்ந்து நாம் கேட்டால் நம் வயிற்றில் 'acidity' வந்து விடும்.

அனால் அதே சமயத்தில் ச-ம1--த2 என்ற மூன்று ஸ்வரங்களை தொடர்ந்து கேட்டு பாருங்கள். உங்கள் எண்ண சிதறல்கள் ஒருங்குபடுவதை நீங்கள் உணர முடியும். அது எவ்வாறு என்று விளக்க பல முறைகள் உள்ளன. அது இங்கு தேவையில்லை.

ஒரு சிறு உதாரணம் தருகிறேன். ச-ம1 -த2 என்ற இந்த கூட்டு ஒலி கலவைகள் மனதின் எண்ண அலைகளை ஒன்று படுத்துகின்றன என்பது அது தொடர்பாக வரும் வார்த்தைகளே நமக்கு உணர்த்துகின்றன. உதாரணமாக தமிழ் வார்த்தைகளை பாருங்கள்.

சமம் - இந்த வார்த்தையின் பொருளே 'equal' என்று தானே அர்த்தம். இதில் ச-ம வருகிறதா இல்லையா. மேலும் ச-ம என்று வந்தாலே அந்த இசை கலவையில் 'த2' என்பது தானாக வந்து விடும்.

சம்மதம் - இதிலும் ச-ம1-த2 வருகிறது. நானும், ராமும் வெவ்வேறு என்ன அலைகளில் இருந்து இப்போது ஒரே frequency இல் இருப்பதே இந்த வார்த்தைக்கு சாட்சி.

சாம வேதம் - வேத மந்திரங்களின் இசை வடிவான தொகுப்பு. எனவே இதிலும் ச-ம1 வருவது எத்தனை பொருத்தம்.

சாமிநாதன் - பிரணவ மந்திரத்திற்கு பொருள் உரைத்த இறைவன் பெயரில் ச-ம-த2 வருவது எத்தனை பொருத்தம்

சாதம் - உயிர் சக்தியை நமக்கு வழங்கும் அடிப்படை உணவு. அதிலும் ச-ம1-த2 தான்.

சரி விஸ்வநாதனுக்கும் இதற்கும் என்ன சம்பந்தம்?

'கனா காணும் கண்கள் மெல்ல' பாடலை கேளுங்கள்.

ச-ரி2-ம1-ப-நி1-ச என்ற தோஷம் நீக்கும் மத்யமாவதி ராகத்தின் அடிப்படையில் உள்ள இந்த பாடலில், 'உறங்காதோ பாடல் சொல்ல' என்ற வரிகளில், 'த2' என்ற தைவதம் சேர்க்கப்பட்டு, நான் மேற்சொன்ன ச-ம1-த2 என்ற ஒலி கலவை வருவதை உணர்ந்த பொழுது விஸ்வநாதனின் இசையின் விஸ்வரூபம் தெரிந்தது.

மனச்சிதைவு அடைந்த பெண்ணை உறங்க வைக்க இதை விட சிறந்த முறை ஏது.

எனவே இதனை பெரிய தத்துவத்தை மிக எளிமையாக இனிய இசையால் நமக்கு அளித்த அவர் கைகளில் அந்த அறிவு கடலான வாணியே வருகிறாள். அந்த உணர்வினை நினைக்கும் பொழுது மெய் சிலிர்க்கிறது.

எனவே நான் பெற்ற இன்பம் பெருக இவ்வையகம் என்ற உணர்வினால் தான் ஒவ்வொரு முறையும் உங்களுக்கு சொல்ல முயற்சி செய்கிறேன். அவ்வாறு செய்யும் பொழுது என்னை அறியாமல் 'too techinical' ஆக செல்வது தவிர்க்க முடியாமல் போகிறது. ஆயினும் எவ்வளவு முடியுமோ அவ்வளவு சுருக்கமாக எளிமையாக நண்பர் ராம் சொல்வது போல தேனோடு மருந்தை குழைத்து தரும் முறையையும் உங்கள் எல்லோரிடமும் கற்று கொண்டு தர முயற்சிக்கிறேன்.

கற்றது கைம்மண் அளவு
கல்லாதது உலகளவு.

நான் எழுதிய பதிப்பில் யாருடைய மனதாவது புண்பட்டிருந்தால் தயை கூர்ந்து என்னை மன்னிக்கவும்.

ராம் உங்கள் பதிவுக்கு நன்றி. உங்கள் மீது எந்த வருத்தமும் இல்லை. முன்போலவே உங்கள் ஆக்கபணியினை தொடருங்கள்.

நன்றி .

அன்புடன்
முரளி
VaidyMSV & Sriram Lax

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear RAM and Murali

i am really glad that MELODY & HARMONY hallmark of msv;s composition have come back to msvtimes. com

i request , both of you and also balaji , sampath frequesnt your trips to the forum with gems of posting , as you always do ..

As balaji said this forum would be a reference site for the future generations and hence its your duty to explain the nuances of the master for the generations to come .

all the best and great days are again .

i m sharing the last week's traffic in our forum

Mon Tues Wed Thur Fri Sat Sun Total Avg
Pageloads 48 53 40 39 65 77 58 380 54
Unique Visits 40 37 33 31 51 57 50 299 43
First Time Visits 21 22 18 17 25 26 25 154 22
Returning Visits 19 15 15 14 26 31 25 145 21

where as the traffic during 21 /07 to 27/07/14

Mon Tues Wed Thur Fri Sat Sun Total Avg
Pageloads 16 23 12 23 24 17 24 139 20
Unique Visits 16 22 11 21 22 16 21 129 18
First Time Visits 10 17 6 16 15 10 13 87 12
Returning Visits 6 5 5 5 7 6 8 42 6

if you read this the first time visitors have gone up ,and the returning visits more or less tripled .

inference

public require controversy should we have two teams one for and one against like in PATTIMANDRAMS ..

of course leaders i donot have to name
HA HA HA

very happy
parthavi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All is well that ends well.

I was keeping quiet all along feeling sorry about the whole thing. I was reluctant to intervene since I was aware of the lilmitations of my stature and influence.

I am happy that Murlai will be with us and continue to enlighten us and enliven the forum.
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murali sir,
Thanks for a quick glimpse into 'Kana kaanum' song. Please more about this song....
Your summary too is an interesting one!
Thanks,
Sai Saravanan
ragasuda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Murali and Ram
Thank you both of you and you have set a role model for all of us to how to forgive and forget.
The contributions of both of you and all other friends would enlighten all music lovers and connoisseurs of good music to know the intricacies of the compositions of Mellisai Mannar and your laudable efforts in doing so.
Thank you both once again taking this forum further high.
Raghavendran
http://msvquiz.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilmsongs.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilms.blogspot.com/
http://mellisaititle.blogspot.com
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Professor,Balaji, Parthavi, Sai, VK, Ragasuda, Vatsan and all friends,

Thanks for your affectionate words. Indeed I am moved by the overwhelming love and affection you all showered on me.

Having very busy schedule in my office commitments.Shall get back to you shortly.

Regards,

N Y Murali
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

அன்புள்ள ராம்,
உங்களின் பதிவினை கண்டதும் அழுதுவிட்டேன். Not because I feel my stand is vindicated but because of the stand you had taken.

எத்தனை பேர்களுக்கு இம்மாதிரி தங்கள் முன் கொண்ட நிலையினை மாற்றிக்கொள்ளவும் மேலும் அதனை ஒப்புக்கொள்ளவும் தைரியம் இருக்கும்? உண்மையை தேடுபவர்களுக்கு மட்டுமே அந்த மனப்பாங்கு இருக்கும். உங்கள் பதிவிற்கு மிக்க நன்றி.

ராம் உங்களுக்கு இத்தனை பொருத்தமான பெயர் வைத்த உங்கள் தந்தைக்கு என் பாராட்டுகள்

But I am closing the comments with a word of caution. Though I believe MSV has the basis of Chords notes as the basis of melody creation basically for the light music version yet it also is not as per Western theory which I believe. Since I do not have knowledge about Western music theory I am not qualified to comment. May be others who have expertise in that filed should explain.

But on the outset I can notice that MSV using the Chords notes rather than a raga, completely overruling the Western Theory but has his own method of Indianising it with the Gamakas even from the same Chords notes is what made it unique during 1960s.

Even my assessment that it was a Western Music influence got slightly changed after I come to know that our Tamil Pannisai discussed these theories in detail about 2000 years ago.

Thanks

N Y Murali
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: