"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Most difficult song to tune
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Venugopalan Soundararajan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Murali,

That's a wonderful posting on the fascinating number என்னம்மா சொல்லம்மா from எங்க மாமா, which is one of my favourite numbers and I keep listening to it atleat once daily. The percussion usage in this song is also very different and unique.

MSV has this incredible talent of extending single words. Another example I would like to provide is பொன்னொன்று கண்டேன் from படித்தால் மட்டும் போதுமா, where he superbly extends the following lines -

என் விழியில்ல்ல்ல்ல்ல்ல்ல்ல்
நீ இருந்தாய்ய்ய்ய்ய்ய்ய்ய்ய்ய்
உன் வடிவில்ல்ல்ல்ல்ல்ல்ல்ல்ல்
நானிருந்தேன்ன்ன்ன்ன்ன்ன்ன்ன்

What a composer? Only He can create such magic.

Regarding the year of release of எங்க மாமா, it was 1970. சிவந்த மண் and நம் நாடு were released in the year 1969.

Regards,
Venu Soundar
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: MSVTIMES.COM, ITHU HOTTEST MACHI!!! Reply with quote

Dear All,

That the topic of chords is getting highly volatile is so interesting as emotionally charged different perceptions (I will try to understand this in my next birth though Very Happy) are pouring out in the open.

My humble inference is this....From the time MSV started composing and to this date HE is remaining elusive as far as giving us a definite answer on what strategies he adopts while composing is concerned. This literally brings us down to three main aspects that he probably always scouted for - lyrics, emotion & situation. If these three were to be in synch, then the job of rolling out a melody is just a co-incidence for MSV and nothing more to it I guess.

But, to us all it appears to be a humongous task. But for this God sent, Blessed little giant, words just get transformed into a tune in no time and the rest is history!!! There are many different opinions making rounds that some of the key instrument players in his orchestra "played" a vital role. Yes they only "played" but who "created" the base for them to play???? One of the reasons for some of those instrument player turned composers to miserably fail was their total lack of imagination. To them, a song would have occured like this... Oh..I have just composed the pallavi and what & where do I go for charanam now??? But for this musical phenomenon called MSV, it's an absolute smooth ride right from the word go till the finish as nothing in the world can ever hinder HIS imagination.

This also proves the confidence with which he composes. Never have I seen him at his tensed moment (on the recording console Yesssssssssssssssss....) while sitting with the harmonium as he would be seated at his "COMPOSED best!!! And no wonder all his compositions have become immortal....

CHEERS
MSV
IS MUSIC!!!

VAIDYMSV

N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ram quote

Quote:
Murali Mama.....

Let me put it straight! I have a lot of musical disagreements with you.[/b][/color]

Fair. Disagreement is the essence of the world where Maya plays the role of duality. In the worldly situation it is always 'Dvaidham' and not 'advaidham', so disagreements exists.

Quote:
I'm really going to go to some RAW basics here.....

It might be a long read, but please read through everyone.....

When it comes to Music as an ART FORM, there is a clear demarkation of two forms of Music.

Music Form 1: Melodic Music
Melodic Music - improvising on melody/notes - JUST NOTES.
Indian Classical (both Carnatic & Hindustani) constitutes the basis for this.

Music Form 2: Harmonic Music
Harmonic Music - combination of notes -leading to chords, arrangements, orchestration etc.
Western Classical (Derived from original/CORE JAZZ, which in turn gets deeper derivation from BLUES.

This harmonic form of music (chords) is absolutely absent in Carnatic Music.

And Melodic Improvisations like Aalaap and Gamakas are absent in WESTERN CLASSICAL music.

Now. You had mentioned that 'combination of notes - leading to chords, arrangements, orchestration etc'

Now what you had mentioned is that the combinations of notes comes first. In this case the composer has to just have a reference of a scale (in case of a western composition) or a ragaa (in case of a music based on a raga). And that leads to chords, arrangements, orchestration etc next respectively. So here the combination of notes have to be imagined by a composer. From Where that imagination comes ?. We cannot find that source as it is a gift from the creative imagination. It is only the who conceives that imagination is so sub-consciously at a penance that he can only receive that imaginative musical piece. The only tool the composer has is that he plays a scale or a raga and waits for the imagination that strikes his mind.

Now what I am asking is why should a composer imagine a combination of notes first. That is why should a composer should play a scale or a raga first and wait for an imagination of a 'combination of notes'

Why should not he imagine a chord first and wait for an combination of a notes. And if indeed he gets an imaginative musical piece then he need not follow it up with a chord as his imagination itself is derived from that chord. Now after getting the imagination for the first line, he can imagine the next phase of music again based on a chord, which can give him the imagination for the next line.

Now what chord he should imagine first and the second time cannot be determined by us. Why he imagined a particular chords in the beginning and followed it up with the next chord is beyond our scope. What we can surely say is that if we play the melody we can see clearly that the notes flow through the chord notes. The chords can be a triad which has 3 notes, it can be 7th chord which had 4 notes. Again the melody that was imagined based on the inspiration of a chord need not necessarily be 3 notes. It can be 3, it can be 2 some time it can be 1.Some time it can be 4 notes in which the 4th notes will have the repetition. In some case it can flow thorough the notes of the chords and end at a note of a different chord. In that case mostly in MSV' case the next line flows through the notes of the chord in which his first line landed. And a song need not necessarily consists of this unique method only. Just a few lines after the regular melody imagined of a combination of notes like you had mentioned could also follow.

Now let me give some basic example. Now whatever be the scale of the song we are going to talk only in terms of C scale only.

Take the case of the song 'Anbe vaa'

1st line
anbe vaa

sa-ga2-pa (these 3 are the notes of the chord C major)

II lines
anbe vaa

ri1-ma1-da1(these 3 are the notes of the chord C' Major)

III line
vaa
ni1 (here as I had mentioned only one note of the 3 note chord E flat major appears. This is due to the length of the word)

IV line:
vaa
sa (here as I had mentioned only one note of the 3 note chord C minor appears. This is due to the length of the word)

Now let me come to my questions to you:

Quote:
You have said...........

Quote:
நான் எப்போதும் கூறுவது போல இந்த பாடலிலும் Chords, MSV க்கு ஒரு inspiration ஆக இருக்கிறது

QUESTION #1:
If MSV inspires his compositions on CHORDS, he would have been another Western Classical composer like Beethovan or Mozart. If he is inspired by just chords HE DEFINITELY COULDN'T BE ABLE TO GIVE VALUE TO TAMIL LYRICAL BEAUTIES. Example: If he have just inspired or used CHORDS how would he have elongated ENNANGA... A... A....A. SOLLUNGA...A....A....A ????? Absolutely impossible! So please clarify how do you justify your statement quoted, especially with respect to this song??

QUESTION #2:
Why are you restricting MSV's compositions only to MAJOR and MINOR Chords????
I have not seen you quoting any other chords other than MAJOR and MINOR chords.
நீங்கள் MAJOR and MINOR chords மட்டும் கொண்டு விவரித்து - இது தான் MSV யின் இசை என்று கூறுவது எப்படி இருக்கிறது

என்றால்-ஒரு விமானத்தின் இரண்டு இரக்கைகளையும் உடைத்துவிட்டு அதைப் பேருந்து போல ரோட்டில் ஓட்டி "இது மக்களைக் கொண்டு செல்கிறது; அதனால் இது பேருந்து!" என்று கூறுவது போல உள்ளது. புவியீர்ப்பு சக்தியை உடைத்து வானில் பறக்கும் விமானத்தை நாம் "பேருந்து" என்று கூறலாமா? இது அநீதி இல்லையா?

அடத்தது..................................

Now let me answer your next question. I had earlier mentioned that a melody based on the inspiration of a chord need not necessarily consists of all the notes of the chords, it can have less it can have more.

Now I wish to mention to you that I had attached a demo version of the song played by me. Did you really see that ? If not see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmPGXja2x6w&feature=youtu.be

This is the case of a song in which only 2 notes of a triad chord appears for the pallavi. And as I have told you earlier, the next line 'indha enna thodar kadhai thaan' comes. one cannot always say that it contains only the chord note, yet it predominantly stays in 'G Major' which you can see.

Now come to charnam. The starting with E Minor is clearly linked with the pissicatto piece which goes like 'ga2' 'ma1' 'pa' 'da2' 'ni2' then followed up with a note in reverse 'ni2' 'pa' 'ga2'(In fact I forgot to play this). These 3 notes are from the chord E Minor (ga2-pa-ni2) in the reverse order so the ending note is 'ga2' and the word the charnam starts is with this note 'ga2'. That is why I mentioned it as a link note. And you can clearly see the notes of the first line 'aadai maatrum kalaiyoodu' goes through the 'E minor' notes only. The next line goes through 'F major' (ma1-da2-sa) which you can see from my demo version.

Quote:
பாடல்: "என்ன என்ன வார்த்தைகளோ"

முன்னிசையில் இவர் உபயோகித்த கார்ட்ஸ் கீழ்க்கண்டவை:

G6 (G Major Sixth)
E7 (E Major Seventh)
Am6 (A Minor Sixth)
B7 (B Major Seventh)
CmM7 b5 (C Minor Major Seventh Flatted Fifth !!!!)

CmM7 b5 (C Minor Major Seventh Flatted Fifth !!!!) - இந்த CHORD தான் தமிழ்த் திரை இசையின் THE MOST COMPLEX CHORD EVER USED.

QUESTION #3:
MSV இன் இது போன்ற மிகச் சிக்கலான (COMPLEX) CHORDS களை நீங்கள் ஏன் உங்கள் பதிவுகளில் குறிப்பிடுவது இல்லை ?????

QUESTION #4:
இது போன்ற COMPLEX CHORDS களைக் கருத்தில் கொள்ளாமல் நீங்கள் எவ்வாறு "MSV Inspires From Chords" என்று ஒரு ஏக முடிவுக்கு வர முடியும் ???? அது பழுது பட்ட தராசில் அவரை இடை போடுவது போல அல்லவா ஆகிவிடும்??????

Now. Ram. What the example you had given is not about a melody construction but an orchestration construction. I had maintained all along that MSV's tune for the words is inspired by chords in many songs that is a regular feature after 'paava mannippu'. But it need not necessarily be all songs especially a Carnatic based song. Now with respect to your above orchestration yes MSV could have composed that intro music in various chords mentioned by you.

But what I would like to know from you is whether MSV had composed a melody for a word with the chord 'CmM7 b5 (C Minor Major Seventh Flatted Fifth !!!!)' as mentioned by you.

I had seen major, minor,7th mainly. I am sure he did not and he need not go beyond this. Because the melody is in these chords. I have hardly seen him using a diminished or augmented chords for a melody construction.

in this connection, I want to tell you that we had a meeting with Mr. Anand Chellappa. That meeting was completely filmed by Mr. Sampath who should still have the copy with him. In that he talks about the 2 ways of composition. One is as mentioned by you that a melody is inspired by a combination of notes which are then arranged with chords and orchestration. This Anand Chellappa called as Horizontal way of composition.

He told another method which is based on the inspiration if chords where notes are arranged as a progression. This he called 'Vertical Method'. And he further said that MSV adopts this method. I asked him which are the Chords MSV uses in his composition he said the basic chords like major, minor and 7th. In fact he was categorical by saying that MSV never used a chord which is diminished or augmented in his song, but these chords could come in the fighting scene as these chords has the tendency to infuse 'violence'.

The next day I again met Anand Chellappa and asked about another aspect of MSV's usage of chord. I shall explain that. Take the case of the song 'avalukkenna'. Assuming it is in C Major, for the note 'ga2' it is natural that we use the chord C major(sa-ga2-pa). This is what he uses for the first time. But when it was repeated as 'azhagiya mugam avalukkenna'. Now during the second time when the word comes a 'avalukkenna' for the same note 'ga2' instead of using C Major he uses 'E major' (ga2-da1-ni2) as the note 'ga2' is the note 'E'. Now this aspect you could have seen in many of his songs after 'paava manippu' especially during 1963-65. I wanted to ask Anand Chellappa as to who was behind this. He first said that this is called as a 'Sub dominant chord' which is available in Western theory but in Tamil Film music it was introduced in a composition by Adi Narayana Rao(I think so) and the guitarist was Philip. He in fact played that song in his accordion and I had filmed it.

But in was patronized well by MSV only as he had told.

Now what is important here is that, in the initial stages he only used it as a sub dominant chords. But later as the genius MSV started using the notes of this chord also in his composition. There are so many I do not remember. But one example I am now attaching as a demo version.

http://youtu.be/7UN0xiutNUE

See the 4th line of this song 'naan thannanthani kattu raja' which is 'en thottilil ethanai mullai' goes through this chord 'E Major' (ga2-da1-ni2)

In fact the chords inspiration for the 4 lines of this song is

'naan thannanthani kattu raja (pa-sa-ga2 C Major)
en thottatil etthanai roja (pa-ni2-ri2 G Major)
naan theeradh vilayattu pillai(sa-ma1-da2 F major)
en thottilil ethanai mullai(ga2-da1-ni2 E Major)

In fact I also found in many cases these chords were also helpful to MSV to convey the meaning of the situation viz the words.

For instance take the song - 'Varavu ettana'

Now the first line

varavu ettana
sa-ga2-sa pa pa pa..(C major sa-ga2-pa)

selavu pathana
sa-ga2-sa pa-pa-da2(now he goes to F major sa-ma1-da2(only one note da2 is used)

adhigam rendana
ni2-ri2-ni2 da2 da2 - ni2( now he shifts to G major pa-ni2-ri2)

kadaisiyil thundana thundana thundana
da2-ni2-sa-ni2 sa-sa-sa ni1-ni1-ni1 sa-sa-sa(Here he shifts to B flat major)

Now what is so important is the last line that shifts to B flat Major.
You know very well that C Major, F Major, G major are all the major chords for the scale 'C'. B flat major is not part of that scale.

So why did he shifts to B flat major. The answer lies in the words. It conveys the meaning that if one spends the money more than his income his life will go to a different direction unexpectedly.

Quote:
எனது கருத்துதான் என்ன????

இதோ...... இப்போது விஷயத்திற்கு வருகிறேன்.........

MSV இசையில் CHORDS அழகாக வந்தால் "இவர் CHORDS வைத்து பாடலை உருவாக்குகிறார் என்பது சிறுபிள்ளைத்தனம்!

Let us extend the argument...........

QUESTION #5:
MSV கர்நாடக இசை அமைப்பில் பாடல்கள் கொடத்திருந்தாலும், நாம் எப்படி "அவர் ராகத்தின் அடிப்படையில் மட்டுமே பாடல்கள் அமைப்பதில்லை" என்று கூறுகிறோமோ, WESTERN அடிப்படையில் CHORDS அழகாக பாடலில் இருப்பதால் மட்டும் எப்படி அய்யா "அவர் CHORDS கொண்டு அமைக்கிறார்" என்று கூற முடியும் ????????

எனது நண்பன் வெங்கி சமீபத்தில் கூறியது: "மெல்லிசை மன்னர் GHAZAL (MELODIC) எனும் அடிப்படை கொண்டே இசை அமைக்கிறார்" என்பது. இக்கருத்தையும் நான் முழுமையாக நிராகரிக்கிறேன்!!!!

இந்த "MELODIC" மற்றும் "HARMONIC" இந்த இரண்டையும் தாண்டி ஒரு நிலை உள்ளது. அதுதான் இசையின் நாபிக்கமலத்திற்கே அடிப்படை. ஆழ்நிலை (SUB-CONSCIOUS STATE). அதுவே இறை நிலையும் கூட. அந்த நிலையிலிருந்துதான் மெல்லிசை மன்னர் இசை அமைக்கிறார் என்பது உறுதியாகத் தென்படுகிறது !!!!!!!!

"MSV's music gives scope for improvisation....... and it is the NOT final improvised saturated product".......இந்த அடிப்படையிலும், முரளி மாமா அவர்களே, உங்களிடம் எனக்கு கருத்து வேறுபாடுகள் உள்ளன...... அதை அடுத்த பதிப்பில் காணலாம்.

எனது கேள்விகளுக்கு பதில் கூறுங்கள் முரளி மாமா !!!!!!!

எம்.எஸ்.வி "கார்ட்ஸ் கொண்டு இசை அமைக்கிறார்; GHAZAL முறையின் தாக்கத்தில் இசை அமைக்கிறார்" என்று சிறிய வட்டத்துக்குள் அவரை அடைக்க/விளக்க முயலாதீர்.

WE CANNOT SIMPLY DEFINE A PERSON WHO LITERALLY BROKE EVERY DEFINITION POSSIBLE IN MUSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

மேற்கண்ட குறிப்புக்கு தமிழில் பதில் கூறினால் தான் சரியாக இருக்கும்.

முதலில் Chords என்பது Western Music லிருந்து வந்தது என்பதை மறுக்கிறேன்.

தற்போது நாம் கேட்டு வரும் கர்னாடக சங்கீதத்திற்கு முன் தமிழ் பண்ணிசை என்று ஒன்று இருந்தது. அதற்கு இலக்கணம் ஒன்று இருக்கிறது. சிலப்பதிகாரம் படித்தீர்களானால் தெரியும். அவ்வாறு பண்ணிசையின் இலக்கணங்களை பற்றிய நூல் ஒன்று உள்ளது. அதன் பெயர் 'பஞ்ச மரபு' என்பது. அது எழுதப்பட்ட காலம் தெளிவாக தெரியவில்லை. ஆயினும் கி பி 1200 ஆம் ஆண்டு சிலப்பதிகாரத்திற்கு உரை எழுதிய 'அடியார்க்கு நல்லார்' என்பவர் மேற்கூறிய 'பஞ்ச மரபு' நூலை மேற்கோள் காட்டியுள்ளார். அதில் Western Music ல் வரும் Triads மற்றும் 7th Chord பற்றி தகவல் வருகிறது. அந்த இலக்கணத்தின் படி இசை என்பது ஒரு வட்டம். ஸ முதல் நி முடிந்தவுடன் மீண்டும் மேல் ஸ்தாயி ஸ வருவதில்லையா. எனவே தொடங்கிய இடத்திற்கே மீண்டிங் வந்தால் வட்டம் தானே. மேலும் அந்த இசை வட்டம் என்பது வட்ட பாலை எனப்பட்டது.

மேலும் அந்த இசை வட்டம் மற்ற பாலைகளாக பிரிக்கபடுகிறது. அவை என்ன என்னவென்று அந்த இலக்கண நூல் கூறுகிறது. அவை திரிகோண பாலை. திரிகோணம் என்றல் என்ன ?. முக்கோணம் தானே. Triads என்றாலும் முக்கோணம் தானே.

மேலும் அந்த இசை இலக்கணத்தில் 'சதுர பாலை' என்று வருகிறது. சதுரம் என்றால் square தானே. 7th chords இல் 4 ஸ்வரங்கள் தானே வருகிறது.

சரி. இப்போது இசையில் ஸ முதல் நி வரையில் 7 ஸ்வரங்கள் என்றாலும் மற்ற குறை சுரங்கள் (semi tones) சேர்த்து பார்த்தல் 12 ஸ்வரங்கள் வருகிறதல்லவா.

எனவே 12 ஸ்வரங்கள் உள்ள இசை வட்டத்தை எத்தனை முக்கோணமாக பிரிக்க முடியும். எத்தனையோ முக்கோணமாக வரும். ஆயினும் ஒரு குறிப்பிட்ட இலக்கணப்படி பிரித்தால் ஒவ்வொரு ஸ்வரதிர்க்கும் 4 முக்கோணம் என வரும். அது தான் western music ல் வரும் major, minor, augment and diminished.

எனவே ஒரு ஸ்வரத்திற்கு 4 முக்கோணம் வீதம் 12 ஸ்வரத்திற்கு 48 முக்கோணங்கள் அதாவது 48 திரிகோண பாலைகள் வரும்.

சரி. இப்போது 7th chord என்பது என்ன ? 4 ஸ்வரங்கள் கொண்டது தானே. ஒரு C major ஆன ச-க2-ப வுடன் நி1 சேர்த்தால் C7th chord கிடைக்கிறதா. அது போல நி1 க்கு பதில் நி2 சேர்த்தல் C major 7th chord கிடைக்கும் இல்லையா. எனவே ஒரு triad x 2 (நி1 , நி2) வீதம் ஒரு ஸ்வரத்திற்கு 4 triads x 2 என்று பார்த்தால் 8 விதமான 7th chords அதாவது 8 சதுர பாலைகள் கிடைக்கின்றன. எனவே 12 ஸ்வரதிக்கு (12x8) என்று மொத்தம் 96 விதமான 7th chords அல்லது 96 சதுர பாலைகள் உள்ளன என்று அந்த இசை இலக்கண நூல் கூறுகிறது.

இப்போது உள்ள western music இன் இலக்கணம் 16-17 ஆம் நூற்றாண்டில் எழுதப்பட்டது.

ஆனால்'பஞ்ச மரபு' இசை நூல் குறைந்தது 12ஆம் நூற்றாண்டுக்கு முற்பட்டது என்று உறுதியாக சொல்லலாம்.

இப்போது அந்த பஞ்ச மரபு பாடலை குறிப்பிடுகிறேன்.

'ஆயதுக்கீராறு அறு நான்கு வட்டம்
ஏயும் கோணத்திற்கு இரட்டிப்பு - தூயவிசை
நுன்மைகதிலிரடித்து நோகலாகுமோர் நிலைகிங்கு
கென்மூன்று கேள்வி எனன் கொண்டின்.'

'ஆயதுக்கீராறு' (2x6)
இப்போது ஆயப்பலை என்பது ஆயர்கள் அதாவது ஆடு மாடு மேய்க்கும் முல்லை நில மக்கள் இசை இலக்கணம் எழதப்படும் முன்பு கையாண்டது. அது 12 என எவ்வாறு வந்தது என்றல் 12 ஸ்வரங்களும் ஆதார ஸ்ருதியாக கொண்டதால் வந்தது.

அறு நான்கு வட்டம்(6x4)
வட்டபாலை என்பது நாம் இப்போது சொல்லும் scale லே என்பது. அதிலும் 12 ஸ்வரத்திற்கு 12 scale தானே வரும் என்றால், இசை இலக்கணத்தில் ச-ப போல ச-ம என்று ஒரு 12 கொள்வார்கள். western music லும் Sharp scale, flat scale என்று தானே கொள்கிறார்கள்.

எனவே வட்டபாலை என்பது 12 scale x 2 அதாவது 24 என்று வரும்.

அடுத்து 'கோணத்திற்கு இரட்டிப்பு'
அதாவது வட்டம் எவ்வளவு வந்தது அதன் இரட்டிப்பு. அதாவது 24x2 = 48. ஒரு scale ல் 12 ஸ்வரங்களுக்கு 4 triads வீதம் 12x4 =48 chords தானே வருகிறது.

அடுத்து சதுரம்
'தூயவிசைநுன்மைகதிலிரடித்து'

சதுரம் முன் சொன்னன திரிகோணத்தின் இரட்டிப்பு. அதாவது 48x2 = 96.

மேலும் இங்கு குறிப்பிட்டுள்ள 'சதுரம்' என்ற வார்த்தை வரவில்லையே என மறுக்கலாம். அதற்கும் ஒரு பாடலை மேற்கோள் காட்டுகிறேன்.

இந்த பண்ணிசயினை நமக்கு யார் கொடுத்தார்கள் என்று மற்றுமொரு பாடல் நமக்கு விளக்குகிறது.

'ஆயமும் சதுரமும், கோணமும் வட்டம்
பாயை இவை நான்கும் பாலை தான்.
காயந்தான் பண்ணும் முறையை பரிந்துரைப்பேன்
பாரிவர்க்கு விண்ணவர் தான் சொன்ன வழி'

அதாவது இந்த இசை வடிவம் நமக்கு விண்ணவர் என்ற கந்தர்வர்கள் அளித்தது என்று கூறுகிறார் புலவர்.

இந்த இலக்கணத்தை ஏன் எழுதினார்கள் ? இதனை இசையில் உபயோகப்படுத்தி இருந்தால் தானே இதற்கான இலக்கணம் எழத வேண்டும்

இப்போது MSV க்கு வருவோம். நான் மேலே கூறியபடி MSV, triads என்ற 3 ஸ்வரம் கொண்ட basic chords (அதுவும் major,minor மட்டுமே), 7th chords என்ற 4 ஸ்வரம் கொண்ட chords மூலம் inspiration பெறுகிறார் என்று கூறினேன். அது Anand Chellappa மூலம் தெளிவு படுத்தப்பட்டுள்ளது. நான் மேலே கூறிய பண்ணிசைக்கும் இந்த 3 ஸ்வரம் கொண்ட triads, மற்றும் 4 ஸ்வரம் கொண்ட 7th chord என இதற்கு தான் இலக்கணம் எழுதப்பட்டுள்ளது.

எனவே நாம் ஏன் MSV, western music லிருந்து இதை கையாண்டார் என கொள்ள வேண்டும். ஏன் அவர் மறைந்த நம் பண்ணிசையை மீண்டும் நினவுபடுத்த உபயோகித்தார் என கொள்ள கூடாது ?

இப்பொழுது முக்கியமான கட்டத்திற்கு வருகிறேன்.

நான் மேற்கூறிய விபரமெல்லாம் குறிப்பெடுத்து, அதனை ஒரு இசை ஆராய்ச்சி நிகழ்ச்சி மூலம் இதனை அறிய விரும்புபவர்களுக்கு கொடுக்க வேண்டும் என்ற எண்ணத்தில் 'நாதமெனும் கோவிலிலே' நிகழ்ச்சியின் மூலம் கொடுக்கலாம் என்று பல மாதங்கள் உழைத்து தயாரித்து வைத்திருந்தேன்.

அந்த நிகழ்ச்சியை காண வருபவர்கள் இதனை ஏற்று கொள்வார்களா, மாட்டார்களா என்பதல்ல விஷயம். இதனை கேட்கும் மன நிலையில் இருப்பார்களா என்று ஒரு சந்தேகம் இருந்தது. எனவே நிகழ்ச்சிக்கு வருபவர்களுக்கு முதலிலேயே ஒரு நோட்டீஸ் மூலம் தெளிவாக நிகழ்ச்சியின் போக்கை குறித்து அதன் பிறகே அனுமதித்தோம்.

ஆனால் நடந்து என்ன? நிகழ்ச்சி தொடங்கிய சில மணி துளிகளிலேயே pressure மேல் pressure. 'பேச்சை குறைத்து பாடலை பாடவும்.' 'பார்வையாளர்கள் restless ஆக இருக்கிறார்கள்' என்று சீட்டு வேறு வந்தது. என் கண்ணை விற்று ஓவியம் வாங்க வேண்டிய நிலைக்கு தள்ளப்பட்டேன்.

இம்மாதிரி தருணங்களில் என்ன செய்ய வேண்டும். பார்வையாளர்களுக்கு இந்த நிகழ்ச்சியின் நோக்கத்தை எடுத்து சொல்லி புரிய வைக்க வேண்டும். அதையும் மீறி விருப்பம் இல்லாதவர்கள் வெளிநடப்பு செய்யலாம். விரும்புபவர்கள் இருந்து கேட்கலாம்.
மேலும் எண்ணத்திற்கு மாற்று கருத்து இருந்தால் என்ன செய்ய வேண்டும் ? கேட்டுவிட்டு பின் எழுத்து மூலமாகவோ அல்லது நேரடியாகவோ மாற்று கருத்தை வெளிபடுத்த வேண்டும்.

இல்லை என்றல் வேறு ஒரு நிகழ்ச்சி நடத்தி என் கருத்தை மறுக்க வேண்டும்.

சில வருடங்களுக்கு பிறகு மலேசியா லிருந்து நண்பர் பாண்டி துரை கண்ணதாசன் பற்றி இதே போல ஒரு நிகழ்ச்சி நடத்தினார். அப்போது சில சல சலப்புகள் இருந்தன. பாண்டி துரை 'இவ்வாறு தான் நிகழ்ச்சி நடக்கும், பாடல் வேண்டும் என்றால் வீட்டில் போய் கோட்டு கொள்ளுங்கள்' என்றார். எல்லோரும் 'கப்' 'சிப்' என்று வாயை மூடிக்கொண்டு இருந்தார்கள். நானாவது ஒரு பாடலின் விளக்கத்தை சொல்லிவிட்டு பாடலின் நடுவே குறுக்கிடவில்லை. ஆனால் பாண்டி துரை பாடலை நடுவே நிறுத்தி அதன் விளக்கத்தை சொல்லிவிட்டு அப்படியே வேறு பாடலுக்கு போய் விடுவார்.

ராம். இப்போது நான் கேட்கிறேன். ஒரு நாள் நேரம் ஒதுக்கி என்னோடு இருங்கள். MSV இன் 3000 பாடல்களில் ஒரு 1000 தேர்ந்தெடுத்து அது எவ்வாறு chords inspiration மூலம் வந்தது என்று நிரூபிக்கிறேன்.

அதனையும் மீறி நீங்கள் வேறு எண்ணம் கொண்டிருந்தால் You have every right to disagree with me. I also agree to disagree with you.

ஆனால் நான் குறிப்பிடும் MSV இன் இசை வழி என்பது அவருக்கு இழைக்கும் அநீதி என்றால், அந்த நிகழ்ச்சியில் எனக்கு ஏற்பட்ட நிகழ்வுகள் அநீதி இல்லையா? என் கண் முன்னால் நான் பல மாதங்கள் மனதினில் கருக்கொண்டு பிரசவித்த குழந்தை சில நிமிடங்களில் என் கண் முன்னால் பறிக்கப்பட்டு குப்பை தொட்டியில் போடப்பட்டது. எனக்கு ஏற்பட்ட அநீதிக்கு யார் பதில் சொல்ல போகிறார்கள் ?

இறை தத்துவம் என்பது 'அத்வைதம்' என்றார் சங்கரர். அதனை ஏற்றோம். இல்லை இல்லை 'விஷிட்டாத்வைதம்' என்றார் ராமானுஜர். அதனையும் ஏற்றோம். இல்லை இல்லை 'த்வைதம்' என்றார் மத்வர். அதனும் ஏற்றோம்.

நான் கூறும் தத்துவமும் அவ்வாறு ஒன்றாக இருக்க என்ன குறை?
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: UNWARRANTED Reply with quote

Dear All,

See where this research is heading to??? This is precisely why a topic of this sort creates unwarranted controversies. The issue is ridiculously simple. The creator MSV himself is unable to come to terms when questions concerning his creativity is questioned. All that he has been saying is that the tunes are derived from the lyric itself and may be he is dead right about it. A research is perfectly welcome to prove a point but when there are no answers forthcoming, why waste our energy is my contention for, THERE IS NO NATHI MOOLAM OR RISHI MOOLAM FOR MSV'S CREATIONS....It happened, it's happening and it will happen this way only....

Lets bury our differences in hatchet and carry on...I have gone through this for too long and now know that it's not worth it....

Ram & Murali, Aslamu Alaikkum!!!!

CHEERS

MS
V IS MUSIC!!!

VAIDYMSV

Vatsan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Resp. Reply with quote

Ram and NYM, your enthusiasm appreciated Smile NYM your response could have been very simple....all you had stated earlier was MSV uses chords ......your response could have been to state "MSV uses chords ALSO". Plain and simple. We all know that MSV uses raaga ALSO and along with that he brings in his own brand of light music which is a concoction of all the music he has listened to and imbibed, starting from Indian Folk Music , Indian Film Music as it was at that point in time and his favourite Italian composer, Jazz Blues and ofcourse Indian classical too.

Ram, the source of creativity in any composer is always a mix of what he has listened to and been affected by and that core "thing" which is a faculty as abstract as the Creator himself. Even the posters in this forum are in touch with "that" faculty when they make important posts and even they wouldn't be able to vocalize the innards of that faculty and how things into place naturally without effort.

Now onto another tangent...Ram, MSV himself has admitted to using chords to render the tune "light" and devoid of classicism regardless of whether the song falls within a scale or not. This is true especially when he is confronted with Kannadasan's 4 liner charanam set to the same meter. As opposed to creating a linear tune, MSV implements a chord driven tonic shift to each line as it is evident in the charanams for "pArthha gyAbagam illayO". That is clearly chord driven though TKR interpreted it on the basis of raagas. Now, check out how similar short, small and constricting charanams in "satti suttathadA" have been dealt with, each line is clearly chord driven as the tonic shifts suggest. One does not need a harmonium to decipher that !!! And furthermore, usage of chords does not necessarily mean subjugating oneself to Western Classical Chords discipline which prescribes a negotiating chord for each commencing chord. Chords is one of tools MSV uses, being a natural Harmonium player and that certainly aids him in placing harmonic patterns behind the melody. As an aside, one of NYM's important discoveries was how the negotiating phrase of the charanam for "yamuna nathi ingE" is actually run through the individual notes in a chord with gamaks, meaning playing the arpeggios with shakes.

Now, check out this interesting mix in the movie "pAlkudam".............nAn unakkAga malligai poo vAngivanthEn......obviously needs to start with a chord, the next line "punnagayin ninaivAga" indicates a clear chord driven tonic shift and the subsequent lines "shenbagathhai vAngi vanthEn", "ponnudalin ninaivAga" are both chords driven, but the final elaboration at "unakkAga" is the MSV brand light music.
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ராம்,
பல பதிவுகள். ஆனால் இன்று ஆபீஸ் ல் செம்ம வேலை இருக்கிறது. சரியாக படிக்க கூட முடியவில்லை. எனவே Free ஆன வுடன் பதில் போடுகிறேன்.

ராம். உனக்கொரு சிறிய அட்வைஸ். MSVன் இசை என்பது ஒரு போதை நிறைந்த கிணறு. அதன் ஆழம் அதிகம். நம்மை உள்ளே இழுத்து விடும்.

ஆனால் நமக்கு பல கடமைகள் இருக்கின்றன. இப்போது என் நிலையையே எடுத்துகொள்ளுங்கள். நான் ஒரு msv ரசிகன்/என்னவெல்லாமோ ! . ஆனால் என் குழந்தைகளுக்கு தகப்பன். என் பெற்றோருக்கு பிள்ளை. என் மனைவிக்கு கணவன். என் நண்பர்களுக்கு நண்பன். என் வாடிக்கையாளர்களுக்கு பொறுப்பான service provider. ஆனால் நான் யார்? நான் நான் தான். ஒரே ஆதாரத்திற்கு இத்தனை வெளிப்பாடு. இதே போல MSV இன் இசையையும் பார்ப்பவர்கள் கோணத்தில் வேறு வேறாக தான் தெரியும்.

அது நிற்க. நான் சொல்ல வந்த விஷயம். என்னை போலவே உனக்கும் பல கடமைகள் இருக்கும். எனவே இந்த இனைய தளத்தில் உனது பங்களிப்பு மேற்கூறிய அத்தனை பொறுப்புகளையும் balance செய்வதாக இருக்க வேண்டும். எனவே அதற்கான உறுதி மொழியையும் நீ எடுத்து கொள்ள வேண்டும். ஏனெனினில் முன் போல் அல்லாது உனது பங்களிப்பு இம்முறை தொடர்ந்து இருக்க வேண்டும். இதனை திறம்பட செய்வதற்கு உனக்கு திறமை இருக்கிறது என்று நம்புகிறேன்.

மேலும் இம்மாதிரி உனக்கு அட்வைஸ் செய்வதற்கு எனக்கு தகுதி இருக்கிறதா என்று ஒரு சந்தேகம். ஏனெனில் இதே இனைய தளத்தில் 'நான் உன்னை அழைக்கவில்லை' பாடல் பற்றிய பதிவு செய்து விட்டு அந்த hang over ல் office பூட்டாமல் சென்றவன்தான் நான். மற்றுமொரு சமயம் வீட்டிலிருந்து ஒரு முக்கியமான official meeting செல்வதற்கு hawai chappal மாட்டிகொண்டு சென்றேன்.

பிறகு நானே யோசித்து இதனை அளவோடு வைத்து கொள்ள வேண்டும் என்று தீர்மானித்தேன். Of course famil side லிருந்தும் அப்பப்போ பொங்கல் கிடைத்ததுண்டு.

Ram quote

Quote:
As I said - let us gracefully dis-agree!!!!!

முதலில் Vaidy upload செய்த ஒரு you tube link பதிவு செய்கிறேன். free ஆக இருக்கும் பொழுது அதனை பார். பிறகு பேசுவோம்.

http://youtu.be/7YXaTWVfQZI

http://youtu.be/-tLPj3Wz2pE

முக்கியமாக msv' ன் கை விரல்களை கவனி.

Vaidy/Vatsan.

Don't worry. I shall ensure that this debate goes within the boundary. I am
damn sure that a knowledgeable person like Ram, can argue. But once he gets the point then I am sure he will understand it better.

That is what Mandanamisra also did to Sankara in the city of Mahishmati!!
Vatsan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Resp. Reply with quote

Ram and NYM, both of you are essentially saying the same thing Smile MSV's inspirations are many, chords being one of the tools. Period. But let the maya continue Smile continue thinking that you are actually in disagreement so that good posts can come through.
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus Murali Mama's lines below:

Quote:
Murali wrote:
From Where that imagination comes ?. We cannot find that source as it is a gift from the creative imagination. It is only the who conceives that imagination is so sub-consciously at a penance that he can only receive that imaginative musical piece. The only tool the composer has is that he plays a scale or a raga and waits for the imagination that strikes his mind.

So by this statement I NOW CLEARLY understand Murali Mama agrees that there is a "MYSTICAL ASPECT" too in MSV's music, which is the "TRUE SOURCE" (Vatsan - Wink ) of ALL Creation & Imagination. That is my point too..... So essentially we agree!

Hence we just cannot name him CHORD BASED composer, we should also name him as:

Ram. just Wait. Don't jump the gun. Now what I said was is "The only tool the composer has is that he plays a scale or a raga and waits for the imagination that strikes his mind'. Now if a composer wishes to make a tune based on a scale or a raga he has to play or identify a scale or a raga (depending on the mood of the song) and wait for an imaginative piece that strikes him. Invariably the tunes that strikes him would be in that scale or the raga

But the same composer wishes to create tune based on a chord he plays/identify a chord again depending on the mood of the song and waits for an imaginative piece that strikes him. Then invariably the tunes that strikes him would be based on the chord.

Now since you all look chords as a western music tool. But in simple terms each chord is in itself a raga with a mood. Due you know that. For instance a major chord is in general used for a happy mood. And the minor chord is used for a sober mood. In fact for a pathos mood even within the minor instead of C minor, F minor has much sobriety. Now just again there could be exceptions for the above rule by MSV himself.

But just check the song 'enge nimmadhi' 'maalai pozhudhin mayakkathile' 'aval parandhu ponaale' 'padaithaane' all in F minor. (I again wish to caution you that we always C scale as reference).

Where as happy mood would have C major. In fact intoxicating mood would be D major. (O little flower song comes to my mind).

So each Chord has a mood.

Now I referred a you tube link of MSV composing the song
'naan deivathaai petra pillai'.

What is your comment about that. If possible see the notations of the pallavi.
madhuraman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: PICK A SONG Reply with quote

Dear Ram, NY M, Vatsan [i]et al.,[/i]

அன்பர்களே
தங்களது விவாதம் , 'திருவிளையாடல்' படத்தில் வரும் "சர்ச்சை வேண்டியதுதான், ஆனால் அது சண்டையாக மாறி விடக்கூடாது" என்ற வசனத்தை நினைவுகூறும் திசையில் பயணிக்கிறதோ என்ற கலக்கமும் உள்ளூர எழுகிறது. புலமை தன்னை முன்னிறுத்த அனைத்து உத்திகளையும் கைக்கொள்ளும் என்பது எவ்வளவு பெரிய கூற்று என்பது இங்கே சொல்லாட்சியாக அரங்கேறிக்கொண்டிருக்கிறது என்பதை செல்லமாக 'மாமா' வும் மருமானும் விடாக்கண்டன் -கொடாக்கண்டனாக நாளும் வெளிப்படுத்திகொண்டிருக்க, செய்வதறியாது நிற்கும் பாமரர் கூட்டம் விலக முடியாமலும் , விலக்க தெரியாமலும் திகைக்கிறது. நிற்க. எம் எஸ் வியின் இசைத்திறன் களை எத்துணை விதமாக பட்டியல் போட்டாலும், பட்டியலும், நமது விழைவும் ஒரு சேர ஈடேரப்போவதில்லை. இறுதியில் அவர் ரசிகனின் தொகுப்பாளர் [composer] என்பது அனைத்து கருத்துக்களையும் ஒருங்கிணைக்கும் முற்றுப்புள்ளி.
வாதங்கள் தொடரட்டும் மனதில் வெறுப்பின்றி என்ற வின்ணப்பத்துடன்-- அன்பன் ராமன் மதுரை
பி.கு: தமிழ் ஆர்வலன் என்பதே முறை [ஆர்வி அன்று].
S.SAMPAT

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSV ரசிகர்கள் அனைவருக்கும் வணக்கம். In western classical, if a child is taught to compose a simple melody, the simple and easy method adopted is to base the melody on the basic chords known as the Primary chords let us say Tonic (C) Dominant or Dominant 7th (G or G7) and Sub dominant (F).

To say MSV composing style based on chords is not fair at all. I have said this, many times to our members since long time. Even as I say this, "MSV also inspired to compose songs based on chords" can also not denied.

Chords are only group of two notes or more played together. If it is broken, then played seperately.

My friends, listen to the Keyboard demo of my friend NYM of "Ennenga, Sollunga" and touch your heart and tell honestly, do you hear Ennenga and Sollunga... YOU DON'T . THE SWARA THEMSELVES ARE QUITE DIFFERENT FROM WHAT MURALI PLAYED AND THE OSCILLATION ARE COMPLETELY ABSCENT. BUT MSV EMPLOYED GAMAKAS OR OSCILLATION TO BRING OUT THE EMOTION.

IT IS CLEARLY EVIDENT THAT MSV DID NOT EMPLOY CHORD BASED TOOL FOR THESE PHRASE AT ALL....

THE SONG IS IN F# MAJOR. THE CHORDS EMPLOYED ARE ONLY SIMPLE CHORDS FOR THE WORDS ENNENGA, SOLLUNGA, IPPOVOO, EPPOVO BY P SUSHEELA. F# MAJOR, Db MAJOR (IInd inversion), Db Major and back to F#. NO Db6 EMPLOYED. I HAVE LISTENED ONLY FIRST 2 TIMES OF THESE WORDS AND NOT BEYOND... OUR IMPROVISION HAS NO PLACE IN THE ORIGINAL COMPOSITION. SOLLUNGA THE NOTE 'B" ALONG WITH Db MAJOR MAKES IT Db6. THATS ALL. BUT THE CHORD EMPLOYED Db MAJOR.

Who said carnatic music does not have chords?????? When a carnatic musician tuned the Tampura with Jeeva, the Sa should be heard along with Ga and Pa should along with Ri... If you play Sa and Pa. The major chord is inside SA GA PA .

Let us sing Sadarana 'G' in Raga Darbar... Just Press note Ga on Keyboard . Do you get Darbar Ga. Never... Because the swara is Ri Ma, First Part of Dm in C major scale. What is your Scale Hamsadhwani (Combination of broken chords of Tonic and Dominant major)...... S R G P N S (All periya notes) S G P - C Major P N R - G major . Mohanam scale S R G P D S ( Combination broken chords of C major Am and Dsus4 if you play mohanam in C major). Even as I say this, I hasten to add Scales are not Ragas .

CONCLUSION: FOR HEAVENSAKE, PLEASE DO NOT BRAND MSV, A GENIUS PAR EXCELLENCE AS A CHORD BASED COMPOSER WHO COMPOSED EVERY 3RD SONG BASED ON CHORDS . SOME SONGS MAY BE YES.... BUT IT IS A PITTANCE TO BRAND HIM LIKE THAT AS HIS MELODY INVOLVES HIS OWN GAMAKAS

Last edited by S.SAMPAT on Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:34 pm; edited 4 times in total
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: MSV - THE CREATOR & NOT A MUSIC DIRECTOR!!! Reply with quote

Dear Ram, Murali, Vatsan & Forum Members,

I think the topic that we are all harping on is something that can be debated till the rest of our lives but with no concrete conclusion. The man who created all these remains in a Godly form as if nothing was done by him!!! True, MSV is a Swayambu and that is why he can accomplish very dizzy heights in music while even the seasoned / qualified find it impossible.

Ram your inference on MSV's creativity is too good an observation and that it straight away doesn't warrant a bitter arguement. MSV's music has enormous influence on all of us and let us all channelise it in such a way that every one gets to enjoy it. Please don't think I have become philosophical of a sort but when it comes to MSV's music, nothing do I need in this world. I don't really bother who has done what but HIS music is like my WBC & RBC. Omni present within my system.

Murali's arguement on MSV's creativity may be a good case study but can't be treated like a final authority or a referral point as no one till now knows what prompts him or inspires him to compose like this. The fact of the matter is MSV's music can be enjoyed in many ways and hence doesn't require any pre-requisites. A musically literate or an illiterate (like me) can derive the same pleasure without any hang up. So why on earth are we continuing this when we have better ways of enjoying his music???

To me MSV remains the most prolific creator, a musician who can keep my blood sugar under check and a man who will live inside me till I die and beyond through his music. I do not want msvtimes.com to turn a kurukshetra of sort as our site is made up of people from all walks of life where only the music of MSV matters and not the ability to analyse or throw view points or break down his creations to their chords or raagas. To me, understanding the writings of Ram or Murali or anyone who talks technicality makes any difference as I will not change my methods of listening to HIS music as I am absolutely comfortable with what I am blessed with. Last, but not the least MSV's music is most enjoyable without any pre-conditions. The moment we deviate, there comes the trouble in many forms and ego is not an exception....

CHEERS

MSV I
S MUSIC!!!

V
AIDYMSV

vaidymsv

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: WELCOME BACK SAMPATH FROM HYBERNATION!!! Reply with quote

Hi Sampath,

Perfect stand. Being a classically trained singer cum teacher, you openly agreed to the fact that MSV is beyond all the tools adopted by classical singers as they have a huge responsibility of guarding the dharma associated with it. In film music where it is not necessasy, MSV very cleverly or would it be more apt to say creatively used all that he learnt during his childhood days and packaged it into a system never before used by his predeccesors. Not only was it widely accepted but instantly captured many hearts that were hitherto tuned to listening to classical music based compositions. Hence, MSV surely was not only a rebel of sort but a sheer innovator and trendsetter too, who completely took advantage of what was available with him at that point and used it to the best of his ability / advantage where many would have feared to venture into.

To MSV, the worry of using a raaga or for that matter anything from the rule book never occured as he was a naturally born flamboyant composer free from the clutches of following rules & regulations. So, in my humble opinion MSV can't be fitted into any frame or a rule or a system as HIS creativity is as huge as this Universe and the usage of musical grammar if at all in any place is purely co-incidental and absolutely unintentional!!! MSV & HIS creations are surely different in many ways is also my humble stance.

We may give it any name or colour but the fact remains that they were created by a man who never saw all these, yet managed to captivate us all!!! Aren't we enjoyng it to our absolute delight??? Touch your hearts and tell me members....

CHEERS

MSV
IS MUSIC!!!

VAIDYMSV

S.SAMPAT

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Vaidy,

Simply super.. Perfectly right and Absolutely true.

How anyone could imagine to compose these songs

1. All the songs from Karnan

2. Sonnathuneethanaaa sol sol

3. Enna Nianathu Ennai

4. Mouname Parvaiyaal

5. Oru naal iravil

6. Parakkum Pandhu Parakkum (Enakku Migavum Piditha Paatu)

7. Malai pozhithin

8. Vizhiye Vizhiye

9. Mella poo mella poo

10. Chinnavallai

11. Kanne Maniye

12. Ange malai mayakkam

13. Malarukku Thendral

14. Ninathen Vandhai

15. Pattathu Rani

These are very very few immortal songs and What a vairety...Only MSV could give this much variety
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: NEED FOR MSV - A PAIR OF GOOD EARS & NOTHING ELSE!!! Reply with quote

Dear All,

I wish to share my musical experience this morning. At about 5am this morning as I was surfing TV channels, I stumbled upon Kadaloram Vaagiya Kaatru on Jaya Max. Follwed by this was "Inbamey Undhan Per Vallalo" from Ithayakani. Over to my experience....

The song starts with a marvellous emsemble of instruments with the vibraphone leading the way. At the first interlude MSV introduces a huge volley of brass and what we see at that time is the massive flow of river Kaveri (Hoganekkal by any chance?, please correct me if I am wrong) and to understand the magnitude of the flow, the brass opened up like this I guess.

Malligai Thottamo Venpani Kootamo....as the song progresses so is the speed of the tempo along with it. When I watched this scene closely, the increase in the speed of the tempo was to accomodate the flow of the river in spate. Simply outstanding intepretation through instruments by MSV.

Now readers, frankly tell me where does the chord or the raaga find it's place here? In my humble opinion again, to listen to MSV's music all that you need is a good pair of ears and nothing is of any relevance beyond that. If anyone listens to his music thinking he or she is in for a technical treat from MSV, then they are grossly wrong. The moment one listens to MSV with a raaga or chord in mind, then straight away there is a disconnect between us & MSV, thus proving beyond any doubt that HIS music is different and that only a mind free from any pre-conceived notions can enjoy it thoroughly. I have shared my frank encounter with you all....

CHEERS

MSV
IS MUSIC!!!

VAIDYMSV

VaidyMSV & Sriram Lax

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear Ram

slowly the MAMA-Marumgan healthy discussions , slowly turning out to be un healthy and bitter .

from the calls i got since last night . from our members they did not relish this any more

i am against stopping to express one's view , but at the same time .i do not want un healthy discussions , as all of us like/love/adore MSV , and each one has right to see his compositions in the way they like to see -rhat is wrong in it,just like

i hear it as his compositions are emotive , pleasant , compositions which brought beat of lyrics and singing .what vaisy claims doing (ofcourse he is more knowledgeble than me in music )

murali sees him through chord
Ram seems him through chord+rhythm

so who has right to say which method is right .
t
THE BOTTOM LINE IS MSV IS ADORABLE IN EVERY WAY AND HID COMPOSITIONS SATISFY EVERY TYPE OF RASIKAS

A TRUE MSV DAN WILL DO ONLY THAT

instead of picking up or targeting let us enjoy the masters music

thanks for understanding mine in right spirit

waem regds
vk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: