"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7th Anniversary celebrations - coverage
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> "How to Register?", News, Announcements, Photo Gallery, Video Gallery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ragasuda

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: 7th Anniversary celebrations - coverage Reply with quote

Dear friends,
The 7th anniversary celebrations of MSVTimes.com was a great success. The details will be covered here soon. Members who attended may share their views here.

I am reproducing VK's message here for ready reference:

Quote:
dear All

the programme that appeared doubtful two months ago , happened in great way finally .

there were a few short comings , which as an organiser ,i assume responsibility , and apologise for the events that have gone OFF THE MARK

any way we are just 7 years old , and i am sure we would be excused .

one of the off mark situation is thanks giving which was not done on stage so i take this oppuortunity to team that worked to make this happen Mr Sabesan, Mr Sri ram lakshman. Mr Ragasuda. mr siva sankaran really spent many hours behind the success of the programme .

also my sincere thanks go to Ramki , Vaidy,KRS,PROF SRS who also piched in inspite of the busy schedule .

also MSVians like Damodharan pachiappan, Prakash/ natarajan contributed a good sum , which gave us confidence of programme happening

ofcourse ramki steadied the middle innings with his sponsorship deals . and vaidy played typical aggressive dhoni's knock at the end of the innings and collected good sum of money to seal the success.

but the plus of this programme , there are a lot of msvians who came

foward to contribute whatever they could .

my sincere thanks go to YGEEM , who not only gave the place literally free but also guided us during the programme

my sincere thanks to TAFE , AMCO,SBT,NITHRA who gave sponsorship .

last but not the least sridhar's troupe , who did a commendable job as usual

i welcome your comments to correct and ponder over good things

thanks and wregds

http://msvquiz.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilmsongs.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilms.blogspot.com/
http://mellisaititle.blogspot.com
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: VERY MEDIOCRE Reply with quote

Dear All,

The 7th anniversary celebrations also left us with a lot of things to learn (which sadly we havenb't learnt) even after 7 years. Time to introspect totally and ensure that nothing happens on stage except music. I am not against honouring anyone on stage but the way how the whole event is conducted. Even during Vaarthaigal Sollum Vathiyangal, the so called ritual of Ponnadai virtually brought down the tempo of the evening.

Left to me, why should we trouble & call celebrities? We need not be desperate for press coverage, we need not be desperate for seeking attention. Let the whole evening solely be dedicated to Shri. MSV's creations. I am sure many of the forum members would agree with me that in the name of all these extra curricular activities, we make lives miserable for all those who assemble there. They come to our event only to listen to good music.

Let's swing our focus completely towards music and do away with all those rituals. Let's not reduce the evening to a damn squib. Last but not the least, lets refrain from engaging orchestra with a budget constraint. I have learnt all these in the hardest way and hence don't want another member to go through this ordeal.

Cheers
MSV is Music!!!

Vaidymsv

Last edited by vaidymsv on Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
VaidyMSV & Sriram Lax

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear Vaidy
i have been hearing comments which are 90 % appreciating the programme especially the honour we are giving to stalwards in the trade .

so may be we should take a memorandum of a sort to find out how to go [size=18]about in future.

so i request all members to write their opinion on

a) whether we need to have this falicitation ceremony

b) if we need should it be before /after music so no stoppage of flow of music
c) if it can be in the middle what is an ideal duration

c) whether its fine with rare so[/size]ngs or popular nos. .
ragasuda

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My humble opinion.

What Vaidy felt is 100% acceptable to the point that the programme should not get diluted by the interruptions in the form of function.

At the same time our idea of honouring the troupe members of Mellisai Mannar has reached a wide spectrum of audience and also received appreciation from all MSV fans.

It is better we find a solution that meets both these issues.

After all the Anniversary celebration itself refers to a function which also serves as a cause for all our fellow MSVians to meet and share their
nostalgia besides our MUSIC GOD MSV.

The best possible way might be to have the function either before the music programme or after it. The total duration should not exceed 3 hours. A maximum of 25 songs may be earmarked for the function. Suppose if the function starts at 6.15 p.m., it should be completed before 6.45 p.m. followed by a 15 minutes break to fecilitate the Music Orchestra to settle. The music may start at 7.00 p.m. and go on uninterrupted till 9.30 p.m. for 150 minutes.

We should share the nuances of each song to be performed and explain it to the audience. Each song including the explanation can get 5 to 6 minutes. This way we can have 25 songs which will be a good number as far as quantity is concerned.

Regarding the quality of Orchestra I feel that nobody in this world can even think of rendering MSV's compositions in perfection. Unlike other composers for whom the chances of getting the notations are aplenty, our Master's compositions can not be reproduced with ease by anyone in the whole world. I am afraid how many troupes may come forward to take up this challenge. Even if they agree, they may opt only for popular numbers for which some might have prepared notes.

Sridhar's Navarags have to be appreciated for taking up the challenge of playing MSV's compositions and particularly for the rare songs, since they have to prepare notes and play.

Whatever may be the result or output of such ventures, the magic and soul in MsV's compositions can never be imagined to happen again.

I presume even if an orchestra gains 50% of the perfection in playing MSV's compositions, it will be a very good achievement.
http://msvquiz.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilmsongs.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilms.blogspot.com/
http://mellisaititle.blogspot.com
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hearty congratulations to every one who toiled hard for the success of the 7th anniversary celebration.

I got feed back from many who appreciated the shear emotional value it brought on that day. That is what makes msvtimes programme unique.

Probably we could have taken care of the time management especially for the felicitation programme. Let us keep in mind the age of Shri MSV and ensure that he leaves home as early as possible.

And regarding the opinion about the orchestra, my opinion is that the budget constraint etc is all misconception. Give my a chance to express, I can point out 100s of observation about the much talked Piana programme for which there was no budget constraint. But what I cherish about that programme was the sheer novelty and the emotional value it brought out. In that sense the people who worked for that deserves appreciation.

In the same breath, I wish to say that the orchestra that performed on that day, brought out very rare numbers which many light music orchestra would dare to touch. So my special thanks and applause for the people who chose those list of songs and for the orchestra which performed without any preconditions.

last not the least, I wish to make the point that, there are 'mellisai kuzhukkal' and 'mellisai kozhukkal'. Let us try to understand the fine line that divides these two.

Thanks,

N Y Murali
Venugopalan Soundararajan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks and compliments to the MSV Times core team for arranging a nice event to celebrate the 7th Anniversary of the Site. In my opinion, the choice of songs could have been better. Songs like விழியே விழியே உனக்கென்ன வேலை, என் உள்ளம் உந்தன் ஆராதனை and a few more numbers (I am not able to readily recall) are very common and could have been replaced.

I agree with Mr Raghavedran that the number of songs to be performed should be restricted to about 25. By increasing the songs, you extend the duration of the programme, resulting in hardly countable number of audience left in the auditorium to listen to many of the songs towards the end. But we should ensure that rare gems of MSV, which are not familiar to the common public, should be performed. For example, if you ask the common public about songs like தொட்டது போலே கனவு கண்டேன் தூக்கக் கலக்கமா (கௌரி கல்யாணம்), பொன்னென்ன பூவென்ன கண்ணே (அலைகள்), நான் உயர உயரப் போகிறேன் (நான் ஆணையிட்டால்) - just to name a few - I am sure 95% of them will be unaware about either the wonderful song or the movie or the singer(s).

In my opinion, the felicitation of MSV orchestra members or those who had worked with him (like Mr Sampath in sound recording), should continue. The common public at the function on 22nd were simply amazed to know facts like how MSV toiled and composed music outside the recording theatre for உலகம் சுற்றும் வாலிபன், during power cuts. Such information may not be new to MSV Times members like us, but is very interesting and important to the common public. If you do not call and honour such people, how will you make the common man get to know some important facts about MSV. I am sure, nobody was bored by the speech of the celebrities on 22nd.

Finally, it is a well known fact that MSV never speaks more than two sentences, just thanking and blessing every one. But it was disappointing that He did not even speak those two sentences on 22nd. We should ensure that He speaks at a little length recalling some of the important facts of His career which are not known yet to us. Alternately, MSV Times should arrange an interactive session with Him, to bring out certain important and unknown information.

I have just spoken out whatever came to my mind and there is absolutely no intention of hurting anyone.

Regards,
Venu Soundar
Venugopalan Soundararajan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks and compliments to the MSV Times core team for arranging a nice event to celebrate the 7th Anniversary of the Site. In my opinion, the choice of songs could have been better. Songs like விழியே விழியே உனக்கென்ன வேலை, என் உள்ளம் உந்தன் ஆராதனை and a few more numbers (I am not able to readily recall) are very common and could have been replaced.

I agree with Mr Raghavedran that the number of songs to be performed should be restricted to about 25. By increasing the songs, you extend the duration of the programme, resulting in hardly countable number of audience left in the auditorium to listen to many of the songs towards the end. But we should ensure that rare gems of MSV, which are not familiar to the common public, should be performed. For example, if you ask the common public about songs like தொட்டது போலே கனவு கண்டேன் தூக்கக் கலக்கமா (கௌரி கல்யாணம்), பொன்னென்ன பூவென்ன கண்ணே (அலைகள்), நான் உயர உயரப் போகிறேன் (நான் ஆணையிட்டால்) - just to name a few - I am sure 95% of them will be unaware about either the wonderful song or the movie or the singer(s).

In my opinion, the felicitation of MSV orchestra members or those who had worked with him (like Mr Sampath in sound recording), should continue. The common public at the function on 22nd were simply amazed to know facts like how MSV toiled and composed music outside the recording theatre for உலகம் சுற்றும் வாலிபன், during power cuts. Such information may not be new to MSV Times members like us, but is very interesting and important to the common public. If you do not call and honour such people, how will you make the common man get to know some important facts about MSV. I am sure, nobody was bored by the speech of the celebrities on 22nd.

Finally, it is a well known fact that MSV never speaks more than two sentences, just thanking and blessing every one. But it was disappointing that He did not even speak those two sentences on 22nd. We should ensure that He speaks at a little length recalling some of the important facts of His career which are not known yet to us. Alternately, MSV Times should arrange an interactive session with Him, to bring out certain important and unknown information.

I have just spoken out whatever came to my mind and there is absolutely no intention of hurting anyone.

Regards,
Venu Soundar
Vatsan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Resp. Reply with quote

Hearty Congrats to VijayKrishna for having organized a most successful event !!! Siva and Sabesan contributed their mite too, interacting with difficult personalities and finally making it all happen !!!! I could pool in my little contribution only towards the end as I was indisposed for a whole week. With respect to orchestral blemishes, it is impossible to a get an impeccable, infallible output on stage, but with an increased budget one can expect greater commitment from the troupes. So money does play a part and we should be mindful of this most important impetus providing aspect. With respect to Time Management and the event that caused it, I do not believe a single member of the audience walked out, infact one could have heard the sound of the bat of an eyelid had somebody in the audience actually done it !!! They were all wide-eyed as there was this incessant inflow of information from worthy speakers like Sampath and Shyam Joseph. Infact YG Mahendra who complained about the proceedings extending beyond limits, was sitting rapt in attention while Shyam and Sampath were firing on all cylinders. It was only when the last speaker started his ritual did some negative perception creep in, from msvtimes.com members (your's truly included) and YGM. But the last speaker's intentions were effectively curtailed and his ramblings did not extend beyond 10 mins. If there is anything negative at all I heard from anybody otherwise, it is only from YGM and msvtimes.com folks. Maybe we all can learn how to treat people of our own ilk a little better......I bumped into people from Indian Film Music appreciations club (amongst others) and they wouldn't stop talking about the info put forth by Shyam and Sampath. Despite his greatness as a composer, Shyam is seldom invited, interviewed or allowed to express himself anywhere and thus his vocal presence to me was one of the most important features of the program. The program as a whole brought MSV, the persona and his music closer to the audience and am sure they left the program with a greater feeling of intimacy towards this phenomenal composer....therein lies the import of this program.
Vatsan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Thanks.... Reply with quote

I wish to thank scores of MSV fans who provided financial assistance to make this happen .........
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear All,

Very happy to hear that the programme was well conducted. Hats off to the team. Yes, in any event, there are bound to be few shortcomings but we shall learn to fine tune for the future.

I also vouch for the point of Mr.Venu. MSV may be requested to speak more, atleast on events being conducted by us . All MSV worshippers wish to hear more from him than anyone else....And our concept is very unique too ....in the sense, we honour those great team members who were part of the legendary team.....let us continue to follow this concept of honouring them...

Pls share the photos / videos ....
parthavi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hearty congratulations to the team for organizing yet another anniversary that included the tradition of honoring people who worked with MSV and presentation of MSV's songs by a dedicated group like Sridhar Navrags.

Since I had planned a trip to Opilian Kovil with my family to offer prayers to our family deity, I had to miss the event.

I would like to resubmit my suggestion made earlier that we should build a membership of 100 people who would contribute Rs.1000 per annum on a regular basis with no need for prompting as they would pay the property tax, water tax etc, we can be assured of Rs.100,000 per annum and can proceed with the arrangements with more confidence. (Either we can prune our budget within this or if the need is more, we can tap other sources for additional requirements)

Mr. VK can issue an appeal to members (including prospective ones) both through the forum and through email asking for a commitment to to pay Rs.1000 every calendar year before March. List of those agreeing to this may be published in the website probably in a separate page named contributing members. My name may please be included in the list!
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: MONEY MATTERS!! Reply with quote

Dear All,

While I couldn't agree with Murali's perception (he is absolutely entitled for his in any way), Vatsan who was closely involved during the Vaarthaigal Sollum Vaathiyangal knows as to what extent we were put under financial pressure. Though we received a decent amount to conduct the event from the sponsor, the man who arranged for the sponsorship took away a sizeable chunk of it in the name of his consultancy & audio / video charges by way of MDS (money deducted at source) and gave the rest to fend ourselves and to satisfy many a hungry mouths. If anyone thinks that we can do such programmes with a mediocre budget then we'll only have the required result. After all if we throw peanuts, we'll only get monkeys is a good old saying... One of the main reasons for not marketing this event is because of some poor video coverage, audio imbalance and wrong playing on the part of some of the instrument players - again lack of commitment. Never did I at any point of time proclaim that it was a perfect event. The idea was to get MSV on the Grand Piano and to introduce a complete instrumental concert which was never done before in the annals of Tamil Film Music featuring the Legend himself. So it was novelty all the way.

Regarding the orchestra & the song selection for this year, Sabesan, Vatsan & VK have done their best. Sridhar's Navrags who have 4 decades of experience could have performed better considering their experience is my take. Though it is impossible for any troupe to delver 100% result considering the complexities involved in MSV's creations, the knowledgeable rasikas of MSV always look for the intricacies to be performed well. When this lacks, there is a total disappointment all over was my observation.

I am not aware as to how many turned out for the musical evening of Saxophone Sakthinathan (don't know the date but it was at Kamaraj Arangam a few years back) - a concert to be remembered for the rest of our lives. Now, budget played a vital role here. It was a 35 member group (most of it conventional instruments, less of electronics that delivered some impeccable music that evening. The Jaya TV show which had a whopping 100 member orchestra performed to a very mediocre level and I am sure all of you would agree with me. So it's the numbers, the selection of players and their total commitment to play is all that matters when it comes to MSV's music. Hope everyone understands this aspect of the music. When this lacks, it jeopardises the entire purpose of the event.

Cheers
MSV IS MUSIC!!!

VAIDYMSV

parthavi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone give the list of songs played? At least, browsing through the list will give me a vicarious pleasure of listening to them.
madhuraman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject: How to Register Reply with quote

Dear Friends,
Varied perceptions have appeared on our recently concluded 7th Anniversary. Views would keep on emerging on what could have been done. The reality is we keep on learning -no matter how much experienced we are. Nostalgia is something that would break barriers of all kind, even on the face of turning 'unpopular' with the audience. Except by restricting the seats on the dais, precious little can be done on Time Management. Some degree of merciless selection of members on to the stage has to be done, if we were to keep an image of good organizers. I do not hesitate to say that it is 'collective responsibility'.
After all, on that day the orchestra personnel took their sweet time to arrive and assemble, besides arranging their slots. Anything said on this would be unfailingly connected to the financial aspects. Therefore, let us accept that we have to live through limitations of circumstantial constraints.
Also, the time taken by Shyam /Sampat was time well-spent, for what they said cannot be there for the asking, for, they were spontaneous recall of their intimacy with MSV for best part of their lives. On the whole, it was a pleasant evening of being among elite audience who received every piece- song or speech with the zeal and comfort of genuine adoration. Undoubtedly, all the members of the organizing team deserve a rich round of applause.
Scope for improvement would always be there; they need not deprive us of the delight and joy that associate with MSV's creations. Congrats to our front line organizers.

Warm regards K.Raman Madurai.
Vatsan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Resp. Reply with quote

Mistakes while executing a song on stage are inevitable. Now, I agree with Vaithy, money does play a huge part because that brings in a sense of belonging and commitment to the troupes. They get motivated to walk the extra mile. Navrag Sridhar might get enthused to play the double bongos in addition to conducting Smile and they would not drop out great songs with callous disregard from their list as they did this time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> "How to Register?", News, Announcements, Photo Gallery, Video Gallery All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: