"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Song 'Chandrodhayam oru pennaanadho'
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> "How to Register?", News, Announcements, Photo Gallery, Video Gallery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Song 'Chandrodhayam oru pennaanadho' Reply with quote

Just sharing the youtube link of the sang played by me for my friend at my home. Video & audio quality will not be professional. Please bear with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmtKsL6emR0

N Y Murali
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir,
Beautifully played! I could relive the moments spent at your home listening to your playing like this!
Interestingly, at many instances, your strokes on the keys had produced sounds of the percussion too, and they sometimes resembled the actual percussion beats!
Thanks,
Sai Saravanan
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sai Saravanan wrote:
Sir,
Beautifully played! I could relive the moments spent at your home listening to your playing like this!
Interestingly, at many instances, your strokes on the keys had produced sounds of the percussion too, and they sometimes resembled the actual percussion beats!
Thanks,
Sai Saravanan

It all started with the tips given by one Mr. D Thiyagarajan, an assistant to MSV who himself a good harmonium player.

Normally the Piano or Keyboard player do not approve of the style I am playing. The reason is wrong fingers used for keys. Another aspect is that the keys have to be used very soft and one key at a time and not multiple keys.

But Thiyagarajan used to play multiple keys(of course the keys of the chord). I found it adds a bit of mood building since we play with out any other support of instruments including the rhythm. So we need to have a style that is suited only for self playing and enjoying. Another aspect is that right from the day one I did not somehow relish having notes which some how creates distraction to the mood.

Today I can play 1000s of MSV songs without any notes. I do not believe in notes. But just remembering the chords in each song is sufficient and from there his tune will automatically flow. No need to remember notes.

I found MSV himself playing like this and that is what D Thiyagarajan got inspired with.

Just giving the way some you tube link of MSV plays and just see the way his fingers move on the keys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YXaTWVfQZI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tLPj3Wz2pE
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'காவிய தலைவி'. மெல்லிசை மன்னர் காவியம் படைத்த படம். கதையின் கருத்திற்கேற்ப பாடல்கள் பல சோக கீதம் பாடும். ஆயினும் இந்த பாடல் மகள் கதாபாத்திரம் பாடும் பாடல். இளமை ததும்பும் இந்த பாடல் என்றும் என் நினைவை விட்டு நீங்குவதில்லை.

நான் வாசித்த இந்த பாடலின் தொடர்பு.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ9HOxL4mqc
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply superb NYM ! Very Happy Very Happy

Chandrodayam is a masterpiece from the Master ...

Do you have the facility to apply gamakam on the Key board ? You must be knowing Key Board Satya, the up coming artist in Carnatic music who has got a support system to give gamakam ....
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the facility of pitch bend in my keyboard. But unfortunately as I had already mentioned I have not learnt and what ever I play is only self learning. That too in Harmonium only and as such I am not aware how to use the pitch bend. My daughter is learning Piano as I have told her not to imitate as my fingering are completely wrong. I have also suggested her to go for Carnatic in keyboard which she can learn the art of using the pitch bend.
Another aspect is that each song is composed in different scale but I play only in scale C that 1st shruthi. The reason is the difficulty of using the chords on the left hand if the scale chages. But on a single scale it is easy. keyboards have the facility of transposing and hence we can change the scale.

The reason I learnt this was as I used to compose song for devotional albums it was easy for me to remember the tune or otherwise I could forget.

Later I used this for analyzing MSV particularly about the key movements.
It is on this experience I can say with confidence that his key movements for the tune moves on Chords notes.

I shall play two songs in Mella Thirandhadhu kadavu one composed by MSV and the other by IR and upload the video. Not trying to compare but it will show how these two are completely different in tune making.

N Y Murali

I never wished to be a player and
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am giving below the the link for the song Malarendra murgam an unbeatable Rock & Roll composed by our master.

http://youtu.be/5_g6zOBBPMc

I am also giving the piano version played by Jebaraj.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iLhkk_X82c

You can notice how we can look at playing the same tune in two different way one is the Harmonium style, and the otehr Piano style.
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lovely duet from Kasethan Kadavulada 'mella pesungal'

Song composed by MSV for the movie 'Kasethaan Kadavulada'. Lovely duet song.The specialty is the tone change from Pallavi to charanam when it changes from major to minor as the movie visual sequence also changes. Being a dream song, the director had the liberty to change visuals. First the lovers pictured in a loud speaker and as the charanam appears the the lovers are pictured in a Telephone and for the second charanam in a pen stand. The idea the director got was the lovers talking over phone and write love letter. Of course this was the standard in 70s.

http://youtu.be/-yyZ9iZ7jxY
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving the link for the other great song Indru vandha indha mayakkam for which it had been discussed recently in another thread

http://youtu.be/fNDi3M_GN5E
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving the link for the other great song Indru vandha indha mayakkam for which it had been discussed recently in another thread.

http://youtu.be/fNDi3M_GN5E

There is a view that this is in a raga 'sumanesa ranjani'. The reason why is the note 'pradhi madhyamam' that comes in this melody. But I doubt very much MSV would have kept any raga in mind. In fact he went by the situation and the mood of the song. You can see the usage of the note pradhi madyamam at 0.53 sec. But it is do with situation. If you see the visual at that very moment a person takes the picture of Sasi kumar with the girl in order to blackmail him.

Just giving the film version for understanding better.

http://youtu.be/0ba0O4RM6mc

So MSV wanted to impart a tone of conspiracy and Pradimadhyam which is a note off the melody comes in handy and a perfect note of discordance. Yet in order to justify the melody he had used the note in the overall melody as if the entire melody is unique in itself. But if it happens to be raga 'sumanaesa ranjani' it is just a coincidence.
V Sivasankaran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear NYM,

You have stated that usage of Sumanesa ranjini for the song Indru vandha could be coincidence. Vatasan had discussed with Shri Msv the usage of Rasigapriya and sumanesha ranjini for the song oru nal iravu and indru vandha. Shri Msv has told that he was not aware of such ragas being employed for the songs vatsan mentioned.

This interview is appearing in website ' Conversations with SHRI MSV part II. Also in the same interview MM has said that usage of raga desh for the song Sindhu nadhiyen isai could be coincidence. Shri MSV has never given enthusastic response , whenever raga discussion crops up.

For a rasiga what stands out is the immortal melodies he created.

V Sivasankaran
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

V Sivasankaran wrote:
Dear NYM,

You have stated that usage of Sumanesa ranjini for the song Indru vandha could be coincidence. Vatasan had discussed with Shri Msv the usage of Rasigapriya and sumanesha ranjini for the song oru nal iravu and indru vandha. Shri Msv has told that he was not aware of such ragas being employed for the songs vatsan mentioned.

This interview is appearing in website ' Conversations with SHRI MSV part II. Also in the same interview MM has said that usage of raga desh for the song Sindhu nadhiyen isai could be coincidence. Shri MSV has never given enthusastic response , whenever raga discussion crops up.

For a rasiga what stands out is the immortal melodies he created.

V Sivasankaran

Another reason could be that MSV consciously would have had in his mind, Vande mataram set to Desh and would have applied the same raga for Sindhu nadhi, another patriotic song !
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving below the link for the song 'Yadhum Ore'

http://youtu.be/LtJ_Yhty070

N Y Murali
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a song which I really relish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TITDrTgMRfg
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir,
You have thoughtfully exclaimed that you 'relish'! Indeed, this song is to be relished. Close your eyes and sail along into another blissful world...What a composition by the master, and so passionately played by you! Thanks for the recorded piece.
Sai Saravanan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> "How to Register?", News, Announcements, Photo Gallery, Video Gallery All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: