"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

intorduction
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Speak to Members, Introduce Yourself, Discuss any topic of your interest, Fun, Puzzles, Riddles, Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Venugopalan Soundararajan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr SRS,

Thanks for correcting the slight mix-up that I made. But please note, the Chepauk Test against the Aussies played from 24th Dec 1969 was very much a 6-days Test (as it was decider - pls refer to Cricinfo), but unfortunately that Test lasted only three and a half days. In fact, during that Test there was a deep depression in the Bay of Bengal and there was a serious rain threat. But, though very cloudy, the rains stayed away and the match was played uninterrupted. Funnily, there was a rest day after the first two days of play.

I have watched every innings of GRV played at Madras, including Buchi Babu tournaments, Ranji games, etc.

Regards,
Venu Soundar

From Cricinfo:

Australia in India Test Series - 5th Test

India v Australia

Australia won by 77 runs

Test no. 669 | 1969/70 season
Played at Madras Cricket Club Ground, Chepauk, Madras
24,25,27,28 December 1969 (6-day match)
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venu ji,

The rest day concept was there for many years and discontinued in the 80s I think. The timing of tests in Chennai used to match with Pongal mostly.

For Buchi Babu tournament , GRV played for SBI . Am I right ? Who were his colleagues then ? Did Kirmani also work for SBI and Prasanna too ? I know there was a big representation from Chennai like Bharat Reddy, Abdul Jabbar, Prabhakar etc...and the SBI team was very strong .

SMG played for Nirlons and Ravi Shastri, Sandeep Patil used to play with him.

Dear Prof.,

Rarely the 2 little masters had partnerships and once when SMG, after scoring a century , in came GRV ....there was rousing reception as he immediately late cut one to the boundary and Sunny spontaneously patted cheerfully ......GRV played few more delectable shots but yet again the partnership didnt prosper...... a very casual shot from GRV had him caught and he was out.....you know why ?? that match was safe and there was no crisis as SMG had held fort strongly..... so, the man of crisis got out quickly !

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Balaji,

The Rest Day concept was discontinued in the 90s. Strangely, for the India-Aust 5th Test at Chepauk in Dec '69, which was a 6-days affair, they kept the Rest Day after just 2 days play. The other funny thing was, that Test got over just after lunch on the 4th day.

If you read my posting of 18th Oct, I have mentioned there that the first time I saw GRV in action was for SBI at the Marina ground, Triplicane, in a Buchi Babu match in 1968. I could make out his class within the first few minutes of watching his batting. What a genius? You are right, Syed Kirmani also represented SBI, but not Prasanna. GRV's other top colleagues in the SBI team were B.Raghunath (opening batsman of high class), all-rounder A.V.Jayaprakash, who went on to become an international umpire, B.Vijayakrishna - an excellent left-arm all-rounder.

I was a great fan of R.Prabhakar too. He was an excellent all-rounder and was most unlucky in not reaching higher levels than Ranji. Though diminutive in built, he had tremendous power and it used to be a real pleasure watching him make some huge hits. He used to hit big sixes with effortless ease.

Thanks for providing me the opportunity to bring back some old memories.

Regards,
Venu Soundar
V Sivasankaran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Balaji,

2 liitle masters had come togother once in port of Spain. It was close to hundred run partnership. Brijesh patel had also scored in that match. India went on to win the match. i think it was in the year 1976 and it was first overseas win against W. I.
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SRS and VS...

Just wish to point out that our first victory in Westindies came in 1971 ( Ajit Wadekar's captaincy ) where SMG made his famous debut scoring 774 in a 4 tests. What actually is to be noted is that Dilip Sardesai was equally a star in that series but Sunny's debut made poor Sardesai's knocks pushed to the back.

The 1976 tour of WI was very important from Lloyd's career as a captain as the Port of Spain was famously won by India chasing a huge 4th innings target. The final test at Sabina Park kingston (rightly mentioned by VS ) was a blood bath as Holding and Croft were targetting the Indian batsmen and bowlers too ! Gaikwad was hit everywhere but still survived without HELMET ! Shocked Bedi , the captain had to recall his tailenders as Holding was bowling at terrific pace to them !

Infact this series is an ample proof to talk about the greatness of SMG and GRV as regards facing brutal and very hostile pace attack , one of the best ever and that too during pre-helmet times !
Vatsan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Resp. Reply with quote

S. Balaji....Croft had not made in debut in '76. It was Wayne Daniel who was partnering Holding in bowling beamers and pretending that the ball had slipped out. I dont intend to play spoil sport here, what takes the sheen away from the historic run chase is the fact that Holding was the only bowler of any pace in that test, the other lesser pace bowler being Bernard Julien. The bowling dept depended on spinners like Albert Padmore, Jumadeen and Imtiaz Ali or Inshan Ali, I dont remember. It was after this shock defeat Clive Lloyd stopped rating spinners and sometimes even had Viv as the only spinner in the team !!! The four pronged pace attack saga started in the series against Pakistan during 76-77 after which the Packer series commenced and the exodus happened. If anybody has Packer series CDs/ cassettes, I will give my daughter in marriage to him in return for the CD/ cassette...the best cricket every played in the history of the game...spicy wickets top class bowlers and Viv pummelling them, what more do you need !!!!!
Vatsan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: resp. Reply with quote

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63161.html

It was Imtiaz Ali alright. Check out the number of overs bowled by the spinners , 40+ against Mikey's 13. As far as I see the only Indian batsman to have scored well against the real four pronged pace attack was Mohinder Amarnath. Allan Lamb, Graham Gooch and in patches Kepler Wessels (while playing for Australia) and Allan Border made some mark.
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vatsan,

Andy Roberts illaya ?
Vatsan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Resp/ Reply with quote

He did not play in all the tests. No idea why. He did play all the 6 tests in Australia prior to this series and in England too after this series.
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://static.espncricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1970S/1975-76/IND_IN_WI/

Hi Vatsan,

It seems Andy had played the first 2 tests ( which my Sunny had scored 156 in test 2 Very Happy )

Yes. U r right. Test 3 and 4 . He didnt play.

All said and done, will you not consider the veteran Vanburn Holder and Julien atleast pls !! Idea

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The major point to note about GRV is that whenever he scored a century, India never lost a Test match. Most of his centuries were scored under trying conditions and they were either match-winning or match-saving knocks.

Undoubtedly, his 97 not out in the first inngs of the Jan'75 Chepauk Test on a deadly wkt with Roberts at his fiery best, was the best innings ever played by an Indian. I was lucky to watch the inngs at Chepauk. He was on 96 when the crowd was ready to jump the fence and enter the ground with garlands. Vishy made a square cut and the crowd entered the ground thinking it will be a boundary, but the shot resulted in only a single. As the crowd entered the ground, it garlanded Vishy. Security personnel had to rush and disperse the crowd. Play was disrupted for more than 5 mts resulting in lapse of concentration and B.S.Chandrasekhar got out next ball. It was Chandrasekhar who was in tears for depriving GRV from what would have been one of the best centuries scored in Test cricket.

Regards,
Venu Soundar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Friends,

While we are discussing Cricket in this section, let's watch a mock cricket match scene from the movie அவர்கள். The sequence runs for almost five and a half minutes, which I think KB shot mainly depending on MSV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=jxCoLx7MlY4&feature=endscreen

Regards,
Venu Soundar
Vatsan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Resp. Reply with quote

Good Stuff Venu !!! I believe, Kamal had a tough time explaining what cricket was all about to MSV !!! S. Balaji, agreed, handed to Sunny Bhai, the Mumbaikar that I am !!! Smile konjam senti...but still you know....Garner, Marshall, Holding, Roberts......that was something . ....with Croft surrendering to the lust for the lucre by going to South Africa...where he might have been an 'honourary white'. I will always pause for a while thinking about M. Amarnath and then finish with a salute certainly. Smile
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fully agree with you Vatsan on Jimmy. Especially the WI tour of 1982 ( before the world cup ) . While Sunny was a disappointment ( though he scored a century in a dead rain hit test ) , Jimmy was the only brave and technically sound guy who brilliantly countered the fearsome foursome . I would emphatically say that Mohinder was the only guy who successfully scored againt the best of the pace bowling at the peak of their career

Sunny was disturbed by Marshall by bowling from around the wicket firing short pitched deliveries and even lost his form ( which continued till world cup ) and finally found an answer back home in 1984 by moving to aggression mode !

After Jimmy, I would consider Sandeep Patil (1980 down under vs Lilee / Pascoe, Hogg ) .

Yes. The names like Alan Lamb( 3 consecutive 100s ?? ) , Border and even Boycott to some extent played well . Greg Chappell was another one .

Venu ji, The Chennai test 97 N.O. of GRV , was the first one to be telecasted live by Doordharshan Chennai and we watched in big groups ( TV was a luxury then ). Pras also gave a lengthy company to GRV no ?

Moderators , may you pls move these to a Cricket thread ?
V Sivasankaran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Vatsan, Balaji SRS & Venu sir,

Unable to resist my temptation on further postings.Mid 70s gave great insights about Cine music and Cricket. Vividh Bharthi, Madras -A & B did a commdenable job. It was during this period that i become a huge fan of MSvs haunting melodies. While Chepauk, University union & Guindy grounds contibuted immensly to cricket rasikas. Vatsan- Madras Cricket rasikas were very different from Bombay. In Madras the crowd never condemed their player getting out for 60 to 70. But they expected a minimum of 8 to 10 fours and use to get delighted if they see square cuts, Cover dirves and flick of the hips. Occupying crease was never an issue.Mumbai fan will condem a palyer for getting out for a poor stroke , even if he had scored a century. Madras laid emphasis on stroke play and Bombay on Techniques.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Speak to Members, Introduce Yourself, Discuss any topic of your interest, Fun, Puzzles, Riddles, Games All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: