"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A telecon with Shri PBS on 4.7.2012 on Katru veliyidai

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Movies - A Special Section!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: A telecon with Shri PBS on 4.7.2012 on Katru veliyidai Reply with quote

Dear friends,

What a day it was !!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

For a song which I have been dreaming and singing since my childhood days , it was impossible for me to resist the temptation all these days and just called up the living legend PBS …the line was picked by his son Mr. Phanindar ( the initial P of PBS is his Father's name Phanindar ) and I started firing questions at Mr.Phanindar who inturn was taking details from PBS sir….. to all my questions, PBS sir was patiently giving a reply immediately !!

Question:
What is your opinion about the song

Subramania Bharathi's lyrics will always have very strong patriotic content and with deep meanings, powerfully worded …..before composing such songs, a music director has to understand the meaning of such lyrics and create tunes…..G.Ramanathan is a genius and he could do it….

Question :
Were you present at the time of composing

No. After completing the composing and orchestration aspect, we ( myself and P.Susheela ) were given the structure

Question :
How many rehearsals you both had

Only 2 or 3 .

Question :
The word Kannammaa gets repeated many times and each time you were giving a different flavour and feeling ….Did G.Ramanathan explain you and PS about this nuance. Whose creativity was that ?

GR gave me the song's structure…..he gave me the freedom to improvise….so, all the subtle changes in pronouncing Kannamma were of me ….also for that phrase Ingor Vinnavanaaga puryime !

Question :
Ok. What about the lengthy alapanai which PS does after Pathu matru ponnutra nin meniyum and you do it after Nee enadhinnuyir kannamma

As mentioned to you, GR gave us the structure….me and P.S. sat and tried to improve it by adding our thoughts which which gradually resulted in that alapanai ……GR appreciated it and took it …..

Question :
What about the song's rhythm

Yes. This will be more of a Waltz type in slow misram

Question :
Which raga has been applied

GR structured it in Mohanam base ……yes…this has some element of Maand too …GR is a genius in carnatic raga based composition

PBS signs off saying that he is very happy that he is still being remembered for his old songs and there are people who wish to know about how such songs are created….

Mr.Phanindar takes the landline close to the TV and asked me " do you hear any song now ? "

I could hear PBS watching a song on Murasu TV and guess what it was ???? Mouname paarvayaal oru paattu paada vendum !!

Dear all,

Truly an unforgettable experience with the legend PBS sir who has been my idol since childhood !

Mr.Phanindar also mentioned that on Jaya tv the forthcoming week covers

onTuesday at 9 p.m. the Programme "AUTOGRAPH" where Shri PBS was interviewed by Ms.Suhasini where Mr.Phanindar also appears and sings a line of the song Mayakkamma kalakkamaa..
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Balaji,
A very nice and to the point interview. I felt as if was in the moment watching all these things.

N Y Murali
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you NYM. Very Happy

Mr.Phanindar suggests that if someone can take time from PBS and interview him on the old songs, he will be pleased to provide all the information to his memory .Further he suggests that if they can be uploaded to youtube and our site, it will be great ...

I told him that it is workable....lets do something on this..

So, we have an invaluable treasure and someone who was with MSV-TKR during the evergreen 60s ....Our administrators and fellow hubbers may join in this initiative.

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Movies - A Special Section! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: