"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thalaivi thalaivi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Thalaivi thalaivi Reply with quote

Dear friends,
'Thalaivi thalaivi...' A sober but exquisitely crafted melody for NT Shivaji Ganesan was this song in Sridhar's Mohanappunnagai. Sober since SPB sounds quiet (!), melting, cajoling the heroine with his patient low-key, low-scale effervescence. While Vani jayram is at her usual brilliance expressing her gamakas so softly and capably. Wait! There is yet another jugalbandhi! The tabla and thavil...Prasad is as expressive as Vani jayaram, and the thavil is full of majesty following SPB! What a superior combination planned by the master! The beats are so majestic, the bass from Prasad's tabla adds weight to the melody-only at very appropriate punctuations. What are Prasad's fingers made of???

I know nothing of the origin of the song, lyricist, circumstance or about Sridhar's renewed tie-up with our master. Perhaps, our professor would know the situation of this movie, and can help us understand this brief reunion of our MM with Sridhar. The movie stood for the two songs, i.e., 'then ilangai mangai' and this one. This song was more heard in the Indian radios also, surprisingly.

While hearing some nadaswaram and thavil sound during the recent festival season, I was gently reminded by this song. I was trying hard to remember the first line of the song, and finally could recollect the starting words of the song now.

Thanks for the opportunity,
Sai Saravanan
tvvraghavan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Sai
This song is indeed a surprise package from the legend. One of those many very rare and unheard songs of MM, yet very melodious and rich in its musical content (as always).

Especially, I find it extremely scintillating when VJ sings the pallavi after the first charanam. Found this video on you tube.

Thanks to TFMLover for unearthing such rare videos and sharing them.

Many thanks to you for recollecting this melody.

http://youtu.be/gxXcH13sGIc

MSV Rules !
Venkat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: