"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MSV's Thiruvasagam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Speak to Members, Introduce Yourself, Discuss any topic of your interest, Fun, Puzzles, Riddles, Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: MSV's Thiruvasagam Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Murali,

Festival Greetings & very best wishes to you and your family for a Happy New Year.
Y'day on 25.12.2011 I was fortunate to attend the Masteros concert at Raja Annamalai Mandram. ( Thamizh Isai)

I was fascinated by one song in particular sung by Dipshika. Think it is a devotional number set in a carnatic raga. I could identify the raga which is similar to the tune set by A.R.Rahman ( en veetu thottathil) Could you pl give furtehr detasils where i can download or listen to this number which was simply outstanding.

Shall be much obliged for your response at your earliest.

Regards,

S.Ram
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Ram,

Nice to hear news from you. You could have given a call to me and we could have met. The song which you are referring is 'Seerar pavalam' which is from 'Thiruvaasagam' which MSV composed, some time early 2000 (I do not know the exact year) in the name of 'Annamalai Kai Thozha' produced by SPIC Education Foundation. The subject song was sung by Sunanda. Later it was re released in the name of 'Ponnoosal'.

This song is about Manikkavasagar's feel about singing in the swing (Oonjal Paatu).
Since the oonjal is used for making people sleep mostly it is tuned in the raga 'Neelambari' which MSV has also handled.

The tune is similar to the one (En veettu thotthil). I have few observation to make here.
I do not intend to hurt ARR's fans. Look at the situation and the lyrics of the song. There is not even a semblance
the characters trying go far sleep. On the contrary it way wake up a person who is in deep sleep. Though the songs is melodious the appropriation of the melody or the rage for the situations is absurd.

But on the contrary look at MSV usage of this melody or raga in various situations.
Andha Pakkam Vaazhndavar Romeo - Song sung during night when others are sleeping.
Pallavan Pallavi Paadattume - see the lyrics 'Aadi kalaithadhum poo magal kan malar Moodatume'

There could be some more numbers. I am unable to recollect now.

I have few copies of the cassettes. If you have a cassette recorder you can have it from me. In case you do not have the cassette recorder then you can copy these songs from my system.

I am posting this mail in our msvtime.com

Regards,

N Y Murali
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Murali,

Thanks a lot for your prompt response.

Let me be very forthright and frank. I am not a fan of ARR and consider him a very good sound Engineer at the very best, but not a composer. MSV is Mount Everest in music & incomparable. ARR's song immediately came to my mind when I listened to this devotional number which incidentally was very well sung by Dipshika. I would have loved to talk to you more on music and in particular compositions of VR / MSV but did not have your mobile number.We have spoken over phone on a couple of occassions 1 year back. I am currently in charge of IOB,Spl. NRI Branch which is located in Habibullah Road, T.Nagar and my office number is 044 2834 5273 & mobile number is 0 91762 99264.

Regarding Neelambari ragam no doubt MSV would have already created some master piece
Pl let me know the numbers as i know that you have an astounding memory.

Pl convey to other members / fans of msvtimes.com my very best wishes for a Happy & Prosperous New Year and try to inform me of any other activities. I would love to meet MSV godwilling one of these days.

Pl take up with Mr.Aadavan of Mega TV through msv times com and request him to adopt a radically new and different approach while presenting the programme. Probably msvtimes can take up with JAYA TV to intoduce a new programme with a new presenter who is knowledgable about music.

Once again thanks for your time and keep in touch.

Regards,

S.Ram
parthavi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Murali,
I extend a warm welcome and greetings to Mr. Ram and request him to become a member of the forum and contribute more.
I missed this year's hamizh Isaich Changam program of MSV since I was not in Chennai on 25th. Last year, MSV song a Thevaram , 'pannin ner mozhiyaal.' This resembled 'nilave ennidam nerungaadhe.' Apparently, it was composed in Bhageswari. It was a delightful number. Generally Dhevaaram and Thiruvaasagam are sung like 'Thogaiyaraas' in a stero-typed tune and with very little orchestral support. But Mellisai Mannar had set these hymns also into mellisai and made them enjoyable to every one just as they enjoy film songs.

I had heard Mr. Lakshmanan Chettiyaar mentioning (during Murali's Naadhamennum kovilile, if I remember correctly about MSV's sessions composing music for Dhevaaram during which the renowned Tamil scholar the late A.Saa.Gnaasambandham was also present. He said that A.Saa.Gnaa was impressed by MSV's compositions of the divine hymns.

P.S. I am not a great fan of ARR either but I think that his using Neelaambari for a joyful situation can be considered creative. For a person like me not conversant with raagaas, there was nothing amiss about this song. I found (find) it quite enjoyable. Apparently by using a fast pace, ARR has made the ragaa fit for a happy mode. I understand that MSV has composed the happy song 'kanavu kanden' in Mukaari, a ragaa of pathos and piety (I think that the song 'Aanandham aanandham aanandhamee, played in Nadaswaram in marraiage functions after Thirumaangalyadhaaranam is also in the same raagaa.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Speak to Members, Introduce Yourself, Discuss any topic of your interest, Fun, Puzzles, Riddles, Games All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: