"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sizzling SPB: our Master's choice!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Singers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: Sizzling SPB: our Master's choice! Reply with quote

Dear Friends,
There have been instances aplenty where our master has kindled the soul with some real sizzling songs in the past. Singers like LRE have been so appropriately brought in for such occasions, as is well known. But, the master chose SPB for some of the greatest or finest of such songs which look exactly composed only for SPB, and such compositions have been verily unique! Never have such experiments been attempted in the past before he did, and none could match his perfection or imagination, if ever attempted, and never could anyone else succeed like him.

Let me start the list of masterpieces with a really unique flavour:
"My song is for you..." in Paattum Bharathamum (hope I am right?).

The language is cool, style latest and mood fresh (even now!). SPB's english is beautiful throughout the song. Unfortunately, the cassettes (HMV) do not have this song. Even the AIR did not play this. Only the Ceylon radio revealed this song! I have not seen it anywhere till now...but the scenario brought out by MM is tremendous in my mind and god knows what the director would have managed finally!

One of the 'softest' percussion and brass, no other music director can produce or has produced such levels of softness with such instruments till this day! It simply thrills you to follow the percussion or the trumpets! How could anyone bring in the trumpets so alive and talking to you?

Not to mention the guitar. It speaks!

Oh the words, how have they occurred! God made words or the sound first?

What a voice! From what was his voice made? Is there anything more sizzling than his voice? I forget sleep when I remember this song. After many years, I suddenly 'heard' this song in my mind and recollected it all!

While the whole world is busy concocting remixes, look at MM in this song! He simply and suddenly has brought in 'Adi ennadi raakkamma' at the end of the song! SPB really is brilliant in this version. The dholak beat at this juncture would remind you of the recent song of a new music director (jing chickaan...don't know the song's words or movie's name)!! How did he conceive this song, and how did he make it? My God!

I have not heard this song properly in the internet. Once I manage to listen, I probably can remember more. If anyone can provide a link to this song, it will be a great service for all of us!

Thanks,
Sai Saravanan
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear All,
Yet another brilliant composition from our Master. The movie was 'Aval thantha uravu'. Song fills you with nostalgia. SPB invades your soul, body, mind and heart. Like a breeze carrying the fragrance around, like a gentle wave taking a small boat along, the song moves us with it. The apt lyrics riding on the music, literally takes you along. I could manage to transcript a bit, copy a bit from here and there, and have managed, finally, to place it below:

Ninaithu paarkiren
en nenjam inikindradhu
sirithu paarkiraen
en jeevan thudikkindradhu
sweet heart
oh oh remember...
oh my darling
remember....

Nadana saalaigaLil
malaiyin sOlaigaLil
nadana saalaigaLil
malaiyin sOlaigaLil

Nadhiyin Oarangalil
idangaL irukindrana
nadhiyin OarangaLil
idangaL irukindrana

Nadandha kaalangaLil
nadandha uLLangaLil
nadandha kaalangaLil
nadandha uLLangaLil

Vizhundha eNNangaLin
thadangaL irukindrana
oh oh remember...
oh my darling
remember....

Iravu medaigaLil
mazhaiyin saaralgaLil
uravu kOlam idhu
ulagam azhaikindradhu
uravu kOlam idhu
ulagam azhaikindradhu

Vasandha pushpangaLil
asaindha sandhangaLil
pirandha sondhangaL dhaan
kanavai valarkindradhu

Oh oh remmeber oh my darling remember

Ninaithu paarkiraen
en nenjam inikindradhu
sirithu paarkiraen
en jeevan thudikindradhu
oh oh remmeber oh my darling remember

Oh, the way the song begins! All the trumpets, flute, percussion, go full blast, all but softly, and gently too! After the brief murmur in english, the Indian music takes over with the divine flute music. Jut listen to the song in this site:

http://www.esnips.com/doc/27803934-ec44-423a-bfb0-bfb7595d226e/ninaithu%20parkiren.AVALTHANTHAURAVU

Then, the flurry of santoor with the able support from Tabla Prasad (of course). While the trumpet comes back again and again to remind you of the present day's reality, it is the flute that carries you back to those pleasant old memories. While I listen this now, I flew back to my school days to rejoice those innocent memories!

A melody from the heavens indeed! The voice of SPB is soft and sizzling to its best. Please listen the gem from the master. Is there another song like this???

Thanks,
Sai Saravanan
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends,
The immediate next sizzling beauty from SPB is "Maargazhi paniyil" from Mutthana mutthallavo. This song is even more terrific than the other ones (or rather, or all such songs better than each other!)! This is more of a freelance singing by SPB. Our master has introduced a beautiful interlude-kind of yodle from SPB, and this so aptly blends with the mood, spirit and scale of the song.
Each and every stanza is marked so uniquely, one with tabla, one with other types of drums, etc., and all with changes in mood brought in so slightly and without our notice. SPB croons so soothingly and the master leaves you asking for more. But, somehow the setting in the movie is probably a studio recording scenario for Jaiganesh. And may not be the one that is evoked by the song.
A song definitely so meticulously arranged, and composed by the master, is a fitting reward for SPB.
Thanks,
Sai Saravanan
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear all,
Yet another SPB brilliance is 'Therottam ananda shenbhaga' from Noolveli. Generally not presented alongwith other songs from the film in the cassette releases, which is usual for HMV to skip stanzas, complete songs, etc., this was a ghazal in full flow. One of the earlier versions of MSV-SPB ghazal type compositions, with all the instruments in full, relaxed and sensuous flow, the sitar, flute, violins, santoor,...wafting through the breezy lines of poetry...I vaguely recollect some hero-like character, not the main one, sitting in a balcony or a verandah, glorifying the heroine, Saritha. Ceylon radio played this every now and then; not surprisingly, of course, quietly forgotten by our local ones. SPB eloquently mesmerizes the mood, sizzling the very moment it flashed across my mind, conquering my soul. A simple elegance from our master!
Thanks,
Sai Saravanan
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends,
Thanks for the list of songs Mr.Sivakumar. Let us discuss them under this soon.
I am just reminded of 'Namma ooru singaari' when I was opening this. Truly a sizzling song from the master and his excellent student, it excels in all forms of stylish singing, aptly conjured for the actor, none other than Rajinikaanth. The softness, his teasing and pleasing sangathis,...all these bring the actor inside our master, reflect through SPB. Honestly, the stylish singing for Rajini must have evolved from our MM. I sincerely feel this whenever I listen to such songs sung by SPB for him, under other MDs too. This is a grand song with almost all the variety of instruments in their glory, swaying to the baton of MM.
Thanks,
Sai Saravanan
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear friends,
Another song that is a masterpiece of sorts is 'Meendum sandhippom'. It has a slow alaap, and then breaks into a rare guitar-filled song. For all the guitar played in some rock style (or whatever), the able support is from the tabla and dholak! The beats are so beautifully placed and it carefully punctuates the entire song. The song is virtually ruled by Tabla Prasad and the guitarist.
SPB becomes more and more breezy with every other stanza. More open throat singing. The only drawback has been the recording. The entire violin orchestra section is relegated to the background and not properly brought out due to some deficiencies in stereo recording. Otherwise, a healthy SPB-MM composition that truly sizzled when the movie came out. But, another KJY number in the same movie (probably) stole the show, I am told.
Thanks,
Sai Saravanan
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear friends,
When the thought occurred to me about some of the unique masterpieces of SPB created by MM, I could not resist thinking aloud in the forum. It is well known that such similar songs were composed for each and every great singer by MM. Everyone so different, so differently handled by him! Out of them, there have always been few gems, crafted exclusively for and by the singer. Eventhough I might sound repetitive with yet another listing, I could not hold back at the thought of such magical and sizzling numbers. Hence this listing.

The song 'asai povadhu vinnile' is probably for Kamalahasan. SPB is flowing so effortlessly, and his punctuations with a few dialogues is a trademark MM's style. But, only our MM can be perfect in this combination mode of song plus dialogue delivery, and this is quite well-known to all of us. The song has full brass section, drums and other percussion to great support. This song was popular for a brief period, but quietly got forgotten strangely making fans like me desperate before my other school mates. In spite of this short popularity, this is still one of the great sizzling numbers from the master for SPB.
Sai Saravanan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Singers All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: