"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ponnenna poovenna kanne

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Ponnenna poovenna kanne Reply with quote

Dear Friends,
A unique composition by MM for Jayachandran appearing in the movie Alaigal by Sridhar. Eventhough there is some confusion on whether this song was Jayachandran's first song in Tamil or the Manipayal's Thangachimizh. (I remember him mention about the Manipayal's song as his first, but before he completed his statement, as usual, the compere disturbed him about his songs for IR and made him sing IR's song. Alas!) Leaving that, let me recollect this song that I have remembered now.

The song appearing in 1973, became a regular song in some of the radio programmes. Especially, Trichy, Vividh bharathi, and of course, SLBC, routinely used to broadcast this song. One reason for remembering this song was that the song used to wind up before the last stanza was completed. It used to taper off in those LP records, I used to get frustrated. But, sometimes in SLBC, I thought that I had heard it full.

Jayachandran's voice is pure, fresh, with a tinge of Malayalam, nasal, and emotional. Words, as usual, appropriate and beautiful, the song must have been shot by Sridhar beautifully. Do not know that. But, it is the music of MM that draws me close to this everytime memory remembers this song. I do now know if we still will get a full song now, but at least the truncated one is available in the web in the following site:

http://www.jointscene.com/php/play.php?songid_list=24758

A real melody, I wish to read the analyses from the elders who would have known the conditions in 1973 which made Sridhar take this film, and especially this song. I do not know much as I started listening to this only in 1976 or so as a school-going boy.

Awaiting more from you all,
Sai Saravanan
madhuraman

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Pick a song Reply with quote

Dear Friends,
MSV -PJ combination took off much earlier from 'manippayal' and 'Alaigal' came much later and by the way Sridhar had adapted a narrative strategy of pushing the story through a song for depicted images, as was found in 'paNi theeraaththa veedu'.
Thanks for the opportunity. Warm regards K.Raman Madurai.
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear friends,
It was a nice one line summary from Professor when he mentioned that 'Sridhar had adapted a narrative strategy of pushing the story through a song for depicted images,' on the picturisation. I happened to see the visuals of the song in the internet, and our MM had done justice, perhaps more brilliantly than the director!

The entry of Jeyachandran in Tamil films in that year seemed like a gentle wave of freshness. Very aptly, as described by Mr.Shankar, he arrived with a combine of the melody of PBS and the tone and beauty of KJJ. And how lucky was he to be blessed with such melodies in his initial years from the hands of MM! Indeed his identity still carries these initial 'addresses' affixed by MM in his career.

The song has pleasant turns in the mood, but very gently! The subtle shift in the tone of the singer, the shift in the movement of the music,...it appears to be bringing some reality (with some sadness mixed in it) before our eyes. I do not know the story behind, but had this strange feeling about the song.

Not to forget the music! I cannot stop thinking of the geniuses that our MM was and is surrounded by. Each and every musical instrument speaks the feelings so very eloquently!

God has blessed all of us to be able to hear such melodies in our lives...

Thank Him,
Sai Saravanan
parthavi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This song has some resemblance both in the tune and in the orchestration to 'Alangaaram kalaiyaadha silaiyondru kande' from Rojavin Raja, another extraordinary melody piece. Are the two songs have the same ragaa base?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: