"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PADITHATHU,PAARTHATHU, KAETATHU ON OUR MASTER
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Speak to Members, Introduce Yourself, Discuss any topic of your interest, Fun, Puzzles, Riddles, Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simplicity of PBS, his prophetic advice to the present generation as well as his anguish over poor or no recognition to our MM speaks volumes of his understanding of the true musical genius.

Sai Saravanan
parthavi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: A 100 Goes unsung! Reply with quote

The Friday Review of the Hindu dated 2nd Feb, 2012 features reminiscences of Mr. Ravishankar, S/o the legendary producer-director-actor-gentleman B R Panthulu, one of the producers whom I greatly admire for his commitment to our culture, history and ethos. I bow to him for his films on historical figures of Tamilnadu like Kattabomman and Va.U.Si despite his hailing from another region of our country.

I give the link for the article at the end of this post. I also reproduce the two paragraphs on MSV.

........Musically, ‘Karnan' is of a calibre that few have surpassed. “When MSV wished to have sarangi, santoor, shehnai, dilruba and other such instruments rarely used in Tamil films, appa was all for it,” remembers Ravishankar. And not just ‘Karnan,' the Panthulu-Mellisai Mannar combo resulted in songs that will live on forever. ‘Bale Pandiya' is an example. “The film was completed in 15 days, with shooting going on simultaneously at three different places,” Ravishankar notes. Be it a humorous take, such as ‘Sabash Meena,' or a serious historical, it was Sivaji Ganesan that Panthulu went with.

Their last outing together was ‘Muradan Muthu,' after which the filmmaker opened a new innings with MGR. ‘Aayirathil Oruvan' was their first. “Appa felt MGR could have a fresh pair for ‘Aayirathil …' and the rest is history,” smiles Ravishankar. Jayalalithaa came on board as MGR's heroine for the first time and the pairing worked magic at the turnstiles. Then came ‘Nadodi,' another musical bonanza from MSV and TKR.......

Mr. Ravishankar has the grace to describe the music of 'Karnan' as of a calibre few (other films) have surpassed. He also records that the Panthulu-Mellisai Mannar combo resulted in songs that would last for ever. He has mentioned 'School Master' in Kannada in which Panthulu has acted but has forgotten to mention the Tamil 'School Master' featuring Gemini which had MSV's great songs like 'oedi vaangadaa,' 'velai vandhu kooppittadhum,' 'thannanthanimaiyile,' and another by Susila which I don't recall immediately.

He has mentioned that Nadodi's music was by MSV-TKR but it was only MSV. I am mentioning this for the sake of record.

This was a thoughtful thread started by Mr. VK and I suggest that people who come across any reference to MSV may record it here so that this forum will have all these references for posterity.

Let us pay homage to the great BR Panthulu on his centinary.

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-features/tp-fridayreview/article2854970.ece
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,
Thanks for the link, and your summary. One could visualise the difficulties this person had assumed to bring in grandeur in south Indian movies. And thanks to his son for speaking about MM!
Regards,
Sai Saravanan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Speak to Members, Introduce Yourself, Discuss any topic of your interest, Fun, Puzzles, Riddles, Games All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: