"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MSV in Bangalore on 28th August 2010

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Rare Songs of MSV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S.V.Srinivasan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: MSV in Bangalore on 28th August 2010 Reply with quote

Around 20-25 diehard MSV fans got a unique opportunity to spend half a day with this "Vaamanar" on Saturday, 28th August. MSV was in Bangalore at the request of Mr Sivasubramanian, an avowed MSV devotee to whom MSV is a father figure, to attend a family function. Mr Siva was gracious enough to invite a few likeminded friends like me to his house and we spent a glorious few hours in the company of this embodiment of Saraswathi. What a personification of humility he is! When people stood before him with folded hands, offering their respects, he kept telling them to sit down ("Neenga ninna yenakku kaal valikidhu").

I have always believed that MSV has forgotten more about music than most other MDs learn in a lifetime. I got ample proof of this. A few of MSV's hits were played on the LCD TV so that we could discuss these songs with him. When "Paruvathil konjam" from Panam Padaithavan was played - and rapturously received by the gathering - MSV turned to me and asked me from which film this song was and whether it was really his composition!

A few nuggets I picked up:

1. The first two lines of "Paaduvor paadinal aada thonrum" (Kannan Yen Kadhalan) were actually "dummy words", suggested by MSV himself. Kavingar Vaalee, according to MSV, tried his best but could not come up with anything better, so the dummy words were retained!

2. I asked MM about his famous methods of work extraction, particularly from TMS. He said there were several occasions when TMS walked out in anger, unable to cope with MM's demands. When "Mezhuguvarthi yeriginradhu" was being recorded for Gouravam, TMS was so angry because MM was not satisfied with his rendering of the song that he walked out of the studio and went home. The next day, MSV had to coax him to return for the recording!

3. "Ohoho little flower" from Neelavanam was played on the TV and MM was asked about the unique western touch in this song, with guitar, accordion, flute, etc running riot. To this, his reaction was: Aren't the first two lines of the song in English? That is why I had to come up with a totally western-style song here.

An unforgettable experience for all of us. Perhaps fellow MSV fans like Sridhar and Venkat can add their contributions.
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...glorious few hours in the company of this embodiment of Saraswathi!"

What more should we hear from you! You are blessed indeed!

With lots of envy(!),
Sai Saravanan
sridhar.mg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: MSV IN BANGALORE Reply with quote

Dear Friends,

It was one of the greatest moments in my life. MSV, the Legend was amongst us during this weekend . I was honored to receive the Legend on 27th Aug evening at Bangalore Airport. He was accompanied by his wife & daughters Latha, Madhu & Shanthi. We went straight to Mr. Siva's house where an eager & entusuiastic crowd of die-hard MSV fans were waiting.
Mellisai Mannar was given a warm & emotional welcome by Mr. Siva's mother who said " Isai Vendhare Varuga". Karnan's song was playing in the background. The lucky fans spent glorious moments with MM & his family. MM's daughters Latha & Madhu shared several interesting anecdotes about him. They stayed till 10.30 PM.

Next day (28th Aug) I was again honored to accompany the Legend from his daughter's house to Mr. Siva's. We reached at about 10.30 AM.
About 50 lucky fans were invited.

I am happy to inform you that my daughter Meghana, aged 11 years and great fan, played 2 songs on the keyboard in the Legend's presence. The somgs are- " Adho Andha Paravai Pola " & " Paartha Nyabagam Illaiyo", which was well appreciated by MM.

We all a wonderful time with Legend talking about his experiences. Mr. Siva had arranged for Audio & Video presentation of selected songs of MM.
Songs included- Paruvathil Konjam, Paal Tamizh Paal, Varavendum, Mullil Roja, Oh Little Flower, Paadvor Padinal, Unni Onru Ketpen, Paatha Nyabagam Illaiyo, Songs of Padagoti, Karnan, etc.

Mellisai Mannar shared with us many interesting anecdotes about the creation of great melodies. I would like to cite a few.

Songs of Karnan & En Kadamai ( especially Hello Miss ) were created in Bangalore.

" Thedinen Vandhadhu " was composed in 10 minutes. MM had created severel tunes but not to the satisfaction of director Sridhar. When MM wanted to know what exactly Sridhar wanted, he took him to the sets & enacted the scenes. MM immediately got the point & the song was created on the spot in 10 minutes. Not a single word was changed in the lyrics.

When asked about the most diificult song he had ever composed, his reply was " Ellorum Nalam Vazha ".

MM also talked about his relationships with Kannadasan, Sivaji, MGR etc.
Many office-bearers of Baar Baar Rafi ( Mohd Rafi Fan Club) had come pay their respects. They wanted to hear about his experience with Mohd Rafi. MM replied that he had a wonderful & friendly relationship with legendary singer. MM talked about his compositons from the movie " Naya Aadmi".

My friend & keyboard tutor Rabiraj had this doubt for the last 40 years- How was the Church Bells sound ( that too in 4 different scales) created in the song "Rajavin Paarva". Well his doubt was cleared by the Master himself. MM took his harmonium to a Stainless steel vessels shop and played the tune. MM selected the empty vessels that made the right sound of bells which we hear in the song. What an Innovative Genius.
Empty vessels make noise ( I am not referring to self-styled maestros). But empty vessels in Mellisai Mannar's hands make Great music.

I shall write more in my next.

Regards,

Sridhar
parthavi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Sridhar,

Your account of interaction with the legend is very interesting. I was particularly fascinated by MSV's revealing of his efforts in "shopping" for some particular sounds that would fill just a few seconds in the song Rajavin paarvai. That these few seconds of excellence have been so deeply etched in the minds of the rasikaas that they keep wondering on how the mastero created this effect for five decades is a victory for the sincerity, earnestness and painstaking efforts of this great composer.

I think you Bangaloreans have extracted more interesting things from MM in a short period than Aadhavan has been able to, during so many episodes of endrum MSV.

I don't know whether to congratulate, appreciate or envy you all for the great experience you had!
madhuraman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Rare songs Reply with quote

Dear Friends,
From the preceding narratives, it is more than a simple experience of joy to recall how the legendary composer has never been casual. Instead he has been causal in bringing out apt embellishments for a genuine effect, even if it meant trying out a few prospective chances [not readily conceivable] that would strengthen the effect beyond the ordinary. The use of 'empty' vessels was not a 'hollow' attempt. It has had so much of 'his'anticipation and rightly so, lest he should have had right- away mustered a few bells for timely play through a session of recording.
I am now able to visualize his far reaching innovation even earlier in the song 'Devan kOil maNi O sai' ["maNi Osai"] where a series of bells go off to right octave levels casting a mesmerizing spell of divine experience. Probably he keeps contemplating over varied alternatives purely in pursuit of an effect, instead of a ritualistic application of an instrument [a bell in this case]. The same "rAjAvin pArvai" song also has that take off brilliantly executed with horse-hoof sounds held to perfect rhythm by using 2 hollow bamboo pieces of differing diameter tapped against a hard flat surface in harmony with the tune and mood of the orchestration and occasionally withdrawn to respect the concurrent rhythm in the lyric phase of the song. Innumerable instances can be quoted from MSV's compositions to show beyond any shadow of doubt that he has been the most resourceful [mentally] in TF M as a composer in giving the very best to the movies that he worked for. An unparalleled legend indeed!
Thanks for the opportunity.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Rare Songs of MSV All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: