"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LOOKING BACK-17 "DEIVA THAI"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Tamil Film History, TFM Composers, Directors, Actors, Movies & Music (General Topics)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhuraman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: LOOKING BACK-17 "DEIVA THAI" Reply with quote

Dear Friends,
In our present effort of recalling the period [1964], purely from the standpoint of film music, "Deiva thAi" was a mega hit by the pattern of orchestration and nuances somewhat new to TFM.
Produced by Sathya movies, it had the star cast with MGR -Saroja Devi as the lead pair. K.Balachander began his movie career, penning the Dialogue for the movie.
The biggest highlight of the movie was the songs and lyricist Valee had a 'breakthrough' as a cognizable contributor then.

In my personal opinion, the movie heavily rested on VISWANATHAN-RAMAMURTHY and once again they demonstrated music extravaganza that was far beyond the conceptual limits of several other contemporaries then. As ever, the duo stuck to immaculate perfection in orchestration besides some specific embellishments quite uncommon then.

I recall from memory some numbers; if I fail to mention some, it is purely a defect of memory and does not mean others need not refer to such items. All are most welcome to add their points of view pertaining to the particular film.

Some key numbers from the movie are:

'vaNNakkiLi sonna mozhi' -TMS PS
The song turned a hit for the orchestration involving Drum and Piano; the structure of the composition was quite novel in the sense each word in the lead Pallavi line has been wisely set for its own independent tune that compels listening and the 2nd pallavi line just tows the same pattern -a technique that firmly rivets the song to the listener even on the first hearing.

'indha punnagai enna vilai' TMS PS

Another rollicking piece that had similar technique of treating each pallavi word for an effect, while Charanam lines were framed to different notes altogether. This type of changing styles without obstruction to listening- pleasure was a conceptual evolution in thought by MSV. Perhaps this was one such early song that fetched laurels to all concerned.

'oru peNNaippArthu nilavai pArthEn' TMS

Viswanathan pulled into his centrifuge even the uninterested listener by the sheer play of Bongo as the song opener- a culture literally unknown until this song made its appearance. Honestly, the instrument was not much known and the rapid play of strokes on this tiny asymmetric [by size] disc pair literally elevated Adrenalin levels by the way it set the tone of the song. In all the subsequent stages, the song kept its brisk travels thanks to some brilliant orchestration matching the grandeur of TMS' voice. It was a melody-rhythm bonanza full of nuances even near 5 decades ago.

'parakkum pandhu parakkum' TMS PS

What a lilt of a melody this song has been? Can anyone conceive of creating a tune that obeys tennis movements and still survive asa true marvel? Look at the intricate orchestral embellishments through the song, brsides the 'pop' noise of the ball hitting the racquet in perfect octaves sustaining and perhaps elevating to a new plane the taste of listening. That the 'pop' was a human effort, leaves us in greater awe both as a plausible visualization and its execution to lasting perfection. Are we wrong if we acknowledge these as trend-setting endeavour?

'3 ezhuththil en moochirukkum' TMS
A typical MGR song that tries to dwell on idealistic proclamations. True to the spirit of such a number MSV has taken care of setting a balanced display of mood through this number that gave Valee the label of a foil to MGR. The interesting part of this piece is the way MSV managed to sustain his penchant for melody though the lyric phrases are of declarative fervour. That is MSV -to say the least.

As we have been observing, variety in a single movie is a patent of MSV and undoubtedly he has been a pioneer of a mega dimension when the rest of the industry was oblivious of music nuances.

Others please add your ideas. Thank you

Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai
Baskar CS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paruvam pone pathaiyiley a ps number and kadhalikkathey ,kavalaiapadathey another one is there though other songs you have listed surpassed the mark of great melodies
madhuraman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: correction Reply with quote

Dear Mr. S R Sankar,
Thank you very much for indicating a wrong insertion of 'parakkum pandhu parakkum' under "Deiva thAi". The error is deeply regeretted, while I tender unconditional apology for 'misleading' others. I hope people would pardon the lapse.
As regards, the frequency of postings on topics, there is always a divided opinion. Earlier too, Mr CS Baskar had opined of the desirability of waiting for responses to come in .
If I am not mistaken, I have the following issues for everyone to ponder over.
Always I keep separate threads for different movies /topics so that any one can join the discussion at any point of time. That is why all the time, I have been pleading with people to keep postings under specific heads so that nothing gets bogged down.
I do not mind waiting for any length of time, if someone can assure us that THERE WILL BE A POSTING SOONER OR LATER. After March 30, the thread Movies is at a halt, hopefully awaiting some follow-up.
While requests are justified for a breather of time to respond, there are other finer aspects.
If we have something to say, better we say it, lest we should lose interest by keeping it pending.
Quite often responses are instantaneous and they do not wait for auspicious moments.
Also, in a given period of time only a small cluster of people keep coming up more because, they have trained their time management with a slot for 'postings'.
Based on such faith that, things happen in a natural play of action and reaction, I made it a point to make a daily posting on a definite movie or aspect. Since I was out of station between 25-27 th July, all of you escaped the misery of additional postings.

Also, I have been of the view that except on very specific items where my responses would add something more or new to a view, I generally avoid 'yes, I agree with you' - type of postings.
As for as possible, I try to consolidate critical features known/ heard / perceived / inferred , so that the write-up means something to the readers.
Above all, writing /posting demands a certain frame of mind; it tends to get sublime if we keep off for a while. Only such limitations made me come to the forum and choose a topic-a day hoping that many would come forth with their perceptions slowly in trickles.
Finally, about spacing our write-ups I have a lot of reservations because, no one reads an old posting -as a natural human trait. Under the circumstances, I was a bit over enthusiastic erring on the higher side, making long postings.
When the readers find it inconvenient, the writer has to respect sentiments.
I am thankful to all those who have helped me to correct my perceptions, so that we avoid embarassments to any friend. Sorry if I have wasted your time. Thank you one and all.

Warm regards K.Raman Madurai
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Tamil Film History, TFM Composers, Directors, Actors, Movies & Music (General Topics) All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: