"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unnai ondru ketpen - Pudhiya paravai

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Unnai ondru ketpen - Pudhiya paravai Reply with quote

On the face of it, the lyrics look simple , the song may appear simple but its not actually so

I am referring to the evergreen UNNAI ONDRU KETPEN

PUDHIYA PARAVAI incidentally the first movie produced under Shivaji pictures' banner is one of the top 10 albums of MSV-TKR

This is another class movie wherein the duo excelled in both songs and BGM.

First lets go to the situation in which the song was created & then the nuances

Nadigar Thilagam and Abinaya Saraswathi Saroja Devi accidentally come across eye to eye in a passenger cruise which is on its way from Malaysia to Chennai. After both getting mutually introduced , they meet again the next day for an evening party arranged by the Captain where song and dance are supposed to be played.

After the Captain completes his part , Shivaji suddenly gets up and announces that now SD will sing a song much to the embarrasment of SD ( its naanam / vetkam only ).

So how does she take off finally ?

It all starts with a beautiful foot tapping rhythm , clapping , combination of guitar & drums , ends with a typical MSV like Piano flourish

And a small pause ....................... Everyone look at each other.........

Now SD ( sorry P.Susheela ) at last takes off with UNNAI ONDRU KETPEN
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now the nuances & why its so fresh / evergreen / scintillating number :

When PS first sings Unnai ondru ketpen , a mild drum & piano only will be the backing BGMs

Besides, PS will be singing Unnai ondru ketpen unmai solla vendum ....ennai paada chonnaal ....enna paada thondrum IN FLAT SCALE
When the same sentence gets repeated, MSV - TKR show their real class by adding sangathi

Listen now - Unnai ondru keeeettttpeennnnnnnn

Unmai solla vendummmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ennnnai paada chonnaaaaaaaaal ennna paada thondrruuuuum.... enna paada thondrum.....( and at this stage, group violin also join the other guys who play piano & drum ). For every sentence, the group violin caringly support her & carry her forward

As if she needed a mini break, the guitar , piano & the drums group leave her & have a small challenge between them but finally the piano only completes the loop before the anupallavi ....

Now anu pallavi - Kaadhal paatupaada .... kaalam innum illlai.....

repeating ---
kaadhal paaaatu paada ( improvisation here ) kaalam innum illllaaaai.....

Thaaa..... laattu paadaaaa thaayaaga villaii....

IMHO, this is what that clearly separated MSV from other composers & why we call him as a genius .

Now, a cheerful Shivaji also joins the fun by blowing the trumphet in his own inimitable style ! And after the trumphet , flute prevails in brief but its the violin once again that leads her to the charanam ....

Nilavilaa vaaanam .....neerillaaa meeeyyyygam ..... Pesaadha penmaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii....paadadhu unmaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii........

kannai mella moodum....thannai enni vaadum........ ennai paada chonaal enna paada thondrum....

During the charanam, the drums group were the only ones to back her this time !

Finally, when she gets back to the pallavi, the original group is back again with the same sincerety !

The same type of interludes will be repeated to complete the second charanam .....

The song comes to an end in the same manner it started.....

Its a real beauty and the duo show their class everywhere especially when PS sings THAALAATTU PAADA , you can feel the difference here as she will make you sleep by stretching the word & also reduce the pace a bit to give the maximum impact !

Again, observe the sharp change in the mood when she sings NILAVILAA VAANAM , she suddenly goes to very high pitch

but immediately gets back to reverse mode for NEERILAAMEGAM....

for PESADHU PENMAI ....PAADADHU UNNNAI.... she goes flat scale

for KANNAI MELLA MOODUM... she pleads literally !

for PENNAI PAADA CHONNAAL .... she questions back at Shivaji ?

Not to forget KAADHAL PAATU PAADA , the shake reminds me of the famous shake by TMS for Pooomaaalayil oooorrr malligai ( Ooty varai uravu )
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now , on to the orchestration :

The rhythm, an absolute foot tapper right from the beginning to the finish, its a 100 % party song which can be played with ease.

The prelude start itself is scintillating - guitar, drums , piano , all combined , sheer audio delight !

The interludes are sweetly arranged - infact , the first one ( the piano / guitar / drum part ) before the anupallavi is very quick to seize the initiative after PS completes enna paada thondrum .

The interlude before charanam - the trumphet is vintage MSV , his penchant for wind instrument comes to the fore !

What a song !! what a superb singer P.Susheela is ! What an amazing orchestration !!

To me, the song looks like a well crafted sculpture like in Ellora !

We are the blessed ones to listen to such songs which stood the test of times and its 43 long years since the movie was released but its refreshingly fresh & awesome !!!
S.SAMPAT

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Balaji,

Excellent narration of situation, mood and music. Kindly explain IMHO. What is the expansion of this abbreviation.

I can not narrate the way u narrate the story line giving importance to the situation. I confess my dear.

Awaiting many such a posting.

regards
Sampat
tvsankar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Balaji,
Thanks for the BEAUTIFUL WRITE UP...

Padalai Ehtanai murai kettu irundhalum. Ungal writings padithathal - padalai marubadiyum ketka oru ennam.........

Oru Azhagana Party Song...... PS in Singing Style --- SD veru PS veru enru ninaika vaikadha oru Voice..... Really She is mesmerising.....

V.V.V.Execellent song by MSV....

That is Balaji...

With Love,
Usha Sankar.
irenehastings

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks mr.s.balaji for your wonderful writing about the song from puthiya paravai.

i dont know howmany times i heared the song and howmany times i watched in tv.

but every time we can enjoy like new song. that is the sprciality of mr.msv sir.

heavy music in all songs of puthiya paravai.

i like the expressions of sarojadevi in this song.

by reading your writings, i am getting knowledge how to write about a song. soon i will try to post my small writing for one song.

thanks once again for making this forum active again.
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Master Blaster MSV!!! Reply with quote

Dear Balaji,

Unnai Onru Ketpen - my all time favourite Piano song. One small interesting info about this song. I do not know how many would have actually heard the original track in which the Captain of that ship ( in which Sivaji & saroja devi sail) will sing a prelude to this song. This bit was sung by none other than the Greatest Violin Leader of MSV's orchestra Late Hendry Daniel.

CHEERS
VAIDY
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Sampath

IMHO - In My Humble Opinion Smile

Ushaji,

This song was requested by you earlier to post & hence I was running through the song for the last 3 days in memory , especially the ludes !

Irenehastings,

Thanks a lot. Naanum oru rasigan dhaan. Actually, i relate every song to a sequence . Those days, most of the songs are inserted with a reasoning & with some specific message to convey and thats why they are still being heard at large.
So, I always try to go to the root of the song & find out why this song was needed & how it was picturised & then relate it to the situation of the movie

Dear Vaidy,

Yes, I am aware , it was sung by the legendary Henry Daniel Very Happy
Infact, Henry's name will appear below MSV-TKR in Pudhiya paravai . Smile
Srinivass NV

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Dear Balaji, Sampath, Reply with quote

I am in the process of going through all the Postings of everyone; Yours too... I am in the midst of a feeling which one gets when walking through the "Prakaarams" of a Vibrant Temple... Each pillar, each Deity, is marvellous...with lot of details.

If one could travel back along the TIME AXIS, it would be possible to see hundreds of great Artists working on meticulously, to give these Sculptures to this present Generation. It would be surprisingly amazing to realize now,... We are able to identify the Almighty through these Temples, only because of the selfless contributions from those Artists...

Sampath,Balaji...each Pillar you are Sculpting now would help innumerable descendants to Identify World's greatest Musical Representation for all the future to come...

People of your Calibre and Taste are extremely rare and hence so Precious to this Society... Trust me... I am not uttering this to flatter you... Whenever I come across (ofcourse rarely) people like you, onething which comes to my memory is the Grand Old Tamil Poetry :

"Aridhu Aridhu Maanidaraai Pirathhal Aridhu..."

To me, even if one gets a chance to be born as a Human, it is Rare to get a Fragnance of Music embedded into one's Self. Even if that happens, it is even more Rare to be blessed with an access to TAMIL SONGS or atleast TAMIL... Even if that happens, it is Rarer to taste the eternal Nectar : MSV. It is Rarest on the Earth to understand and appreciate MSV and above all, Technically explain the same for other's benefit.

Take your Time...and carryon Sculpting Pillar to Pillar...Deity to Deity...
Admirers like me will stand by your side... and make all attempts to preserve the Sculptures for our Generations to come.

All the very best...

Admiringly yours

NVS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: