"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nenjam marapadhillai - Mind blowing compo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Nenjam marapadhillai - Mind blowing compo Reply with quote

Sridhar never shied from making experiments and chosing odd subjects …..He took Nenjirukkum varai , the stars didn’t have their normal make up ! Nenjil oru aalayam was virtually an indoor movie

NENJAM MARAPPADHILLAI was another sensational experiment …. A story of erstwhile lovers taking rebirth …..Sridhar, makes the lovers , Kalyan kumar and Devika rejoin in their current life, while recollecting their previous life through a sequence of pulsating and nerve wracking scenes…..the setting of that old bungalow and the Nambiar character as someone who is 120 years old ! all are terrific imagination ….a theme well developed into screen play….

Sridhar , Kavignar and the Mellisai Duo had excellent chemistry ( like BR-IR-VM ) ….understanding each other’s strengths and tastes well …. We all know how Sonnadhu needhaanaa was finalized !

This movie is significant for the duo as they excelled on re-recording besides their customary melody intact

It’s a black and white movie …..

The Tamil film industry had never come across such a different subject

To make the audience tense and to create fear psychosis, Sridhar took most of the scenes with a night effect ! He will terrorise and intimidate the viewers all through the movie

A real thriller packed with suspense….The whole theatre will be restless until Nambiar gets extinguished

Nambiar, the Senior Zamindar , a ruthless Father of Kalyankumar , was a typical villain….IMO, one of the best portrayed villain roles….the transformation from a very arrogant Zamindar to an old man ( rather oldest man ) of 120 ++ years , terrific …..

The screen play ( it was actually tough ) was very well structured by Sridhar by mixing both the past and present life of both , showing simultaneously the various events of the yesteryears and current….all perfectly synchronised

Now lets come to the song which acts as A CORE theme to the entire movie

When you have to create a movie mixed with past and current incidents , you need a song which has to be strikingly similar and also should be the epicentre to the entire movie which also should resurface at regular intervals all through the movie

NENJAM MARAPPADHILLAI….. this song will be played at regular intervals but each situation , it will look different and that’s the greatness of MSV-TKR !

THE PRELUDE HUMMING BY P.S. !

just through the humming the Duo will bring …..we will shiver , also , will get horrified by that humming ….the arrangement of interludes and the choice of instrument for this song which appears at various stages was very thoughtful planning

Frequent usage of the sound of Owl whenever KalyanKumar gets into the Bungalow and terrorizing group violin were all unique and a welcome deviation from the past ! Now , with the advanced technology, if one can see the Background score with stereophonic effect, you will realize the greatness of this BGM ……this was one of those movies where the stress was given to BGM also ! and the duo didn’t disappoint…..

The same song will give a different feeling when Kalyan Kumar and Devika sing a love duet ! the application of instruments and the interludes will give a pleasant impact to the ears while it will be fearful when it surfaces during the scenes when kalyankumar goes through the old bungalow. The violin interludes will be well supported by the tabla …all executed with perfection ….

Again, the prelude humming will also give the feeling of a lover who has lost / missing her dear lover … a touch of class

I frequently rewind the first interlude part which is one of the very best orchestration by the duo !
Well, it all starts with a gentle sitar like a train taking off from the station followed by group violin & suddenly a flute intecepts the sitar with a rapid pick up in pace( well backed by tabla ) & once again the sitar taking over from flute in a middle path which ultimately will be taken over by the customary group violin & the charanam starts with Kaalangal dhorum ........................

AZAGUKKUM MALARUKKUM JAADHIYILLAI – PBS with SJ is another splendid composition by the Duo , giving an horse riding impact rhythm …..the song will appear when the pair singing together while riding on a horse driven vehicle ( during their previous birth )…though the interludes will get repeated, very pleasing to the ears….maintaining the tempo of the song

Later in the mid 70s , MSV also composed for Thunivay thunai , a Jaishankar – S.P.M movie ….and another nerve wracking song …Aagaayathil thottil katee mangai unnai kandaal , its VJ this time and the impact was terrific !

To conclude , I am amazed at the way a single tune was used to different situations & gives a different impact ! Is it the success of the composers or the singers or the actors or the director ??
irenehastings

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr s.balaji

as i said in previous comments, you are a gem for us.

you are explaining the songs very very briefly.

one small doubt. in all your analysis you are using some words prelude, interlude like that. can you explain what is meaning for it?. please.
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Irenehastings

Thanks a lot . Very Happy I request you also to come up with your fond recollection of MSV's gems . Very Happy

In orchestration , there are 3 types of instrumental / voice intersections that composers normally do to add flavour to a song .

Prelude - This is the part before the pallavi

For ex : you must have heard the shivering humming splendidly given by P.Susheela . aaaaaaaaaaa................ there will be violin & sitar before she takes off with Nenjam marapadhillai .
This part is prelude

Interlude - This is the part between pallavi and charanam
Before the word Kalangaldhorum , there will be lengthy instrumental version like - violin, flute intercepting suddenly , sitar & finally violin.
This part is interlude

Post lude - This comes after the song gets over
For this song, there is no postlude but I can give you ex like Ilayanilla pozigiradhey ( Payanangal mudivadhillai ) - the final guitar piece .

Also in the song Partha nyabagam illayo - after everything gets over, there will be a beautiful group violin and it ends with a scintillating drum finish.
irenehastings

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr.s.balaji

thanks for your brief explanation. you are explaining like a experienced music teacher.

i hope you learned music from a good teacher.

it means the music before pallavi, before saranam and after last saranam. now i got cleared.

the words prelude, interlude were somewhat peculier for me. thatswhy i asked.

thanks a lot. bring more songs for us, because we are learning from you as your posts are so informative.
Ram

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You bring the movie, scene, situation in front of our eyes. These writings will live long way, serving as a source of information for the future grand-children generations!

irenehastings wrote:
mr s.balaji
as i said in previous comments, you are a gem for us.

Not only a gem, but also an asset for MSVTimes and MSV's Times!
S.SAMPAT

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Unmatchable,

As Ram said u r bringing the characters live in front of us. I have mentioned about u in my second analysis "Velli Kinnam Thaan". I will take up Kan pona Pokkilae later.

What a song Nenjam Marappathilai is !!! Great writing indeed!!

regards
Sampat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: