"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chithirai Matham Pournami, Raman Ethanai Ramanadi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sriramp

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Chithirai Matham Pournami, Raman Ethanai Ramanadi Reply with quote

I have always admired MSV song's for one most important thing "the effect of Bhava"; stressing the right words in right tones and raagas. This is not possible for any normal composer but only if the composer takes himself to the scene and indulges in the situation and then come up with appropriate catchy tune and yet being classical. This is possible only for a person who has music in entire mind and knows how to express in any situation through music and lyrics. God's gift to MSV.

I just recently happen to hear this song after a very long time. WOW !! What a great song !. I do not have any idea as what ragas are used in the song but I am sure it is not based on one single raaga.

The song is in a train and the song starts with super speed as if the train is picking up speed and suddenly the when the singer sings "theril vanda raja rajan en pakkam" I felt like the train has picked up the speed and cruising at steady speed. Then the flute interludes are effectively used as the train whistle. The song takes totally different turn when the song follows "annalile...", I am amazed how MSV stretches the words here to take the listener to some kind of flash back.

I am extremely interested in knowing the raagas used and the amount work that was involved in the coming up with the entire song. I request people like Vatsan, Ram or Murali to dissect this amazing song on a technical basis and enlighten me.
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sriram,
Well the song you have mentioned could be one of the best trian song by MSV. It so happened that yesterday I saw the song 'ammamma thambi' the female version. I never listened to it closely until yesterday when I found that he has used the flute to give the effect of the train whistle.

But the song you have mentioned is worth studying. I was told by my friend that MSV gives the music even for the point change of the rail when the train changes from one to another.

We shall study this song in depth.

reg

N Y MURALI
ragasuda

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Murali and Sriram,
You have brought most important aspect of MM's creativity - using effects - Oli mayamana edir kalam is a perfect example. In fact when Nagesh puts coal into the fire, MM would bring the sound of falling of coal in the fire and at the same time the varying in train's running speed. None can match MM in giving life to the songs ...

Raghavendran
http://msvquiz.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilmsongs.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilms.blogspot.com/
http://mellisaititle.blogspot.com
sriramp

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Murali. I am not sure how I hear this so different in each stanza and still be connected, well we can call it chord progression or anything but that still does not explain the weightage to lyrics, importance to background(journey) in the movie, simple orchestration (as if it as private song between two) and more importantly being technically superior.

I am very much intersted to know what it took to comeup with such a song.

Thankyou
Sriram
Chandrashekaran Subramani

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is different,

He will make you believe you are the character. For instance the song Chithirai Maadham....

It is not just that the train takes speed but your mind starts racing as you have become the character already.

Simple material (emery sheet or some paper) which creates the sound of train...

No electronics, no hi-fi technology..

Wow...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: